It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
https://youtu.be/zB4I68XVPzQ

Teaser is out. Looks like Luke is going to go on a suicide mission.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Can't tell if the last statement saying the Jedi have to end is Luke? Sounds like Kylo Ren.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
pittmike wrote:
Can't tell if the last statement saying the Jedi have to end is Luke? Sounds like Kylo Ren.

Sure sounded like Luke ... who we haven't heard speak in 30 or so years ... neat.

I imagine it's b/c he's messed up re: Kylo ... the idea of the continual rise and fall of good/evil vs eradicating the idea of good and evil alike ... Jedi are just as polarized as Sith, just oppositely so ... maybe there will be no more light/dark distinction ... who knows.

Something for dorks like me to puzzle about til Christmas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Don Tiny wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Sure sounded like Luke ... who we haven't heard speak in 30 or so years ... neat.

I imagine it's b/c he's messed up re: Kylo ... the idea of the continual rise and fall of good/evil vs eradicating the idea of good and evil alike ... Jedi are just as polarized as Sith, just oppositely so ... maybe there will be no more light/dark distinction ... who knows.

Something for dorks like me to puzzle about til Christmas.

Yep I am with you and will be studying bits until Xmas.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Why does Rey even need help from Luke? She was able to take down the trained villain the first time she touched a lightsaber because you know, girl power. Fuck all that training and patience that was supposed to be the main point of the series. Now it's girls rule.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:17 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Why does Rey even need help from Luke? She was able to take down the trained villain the first time she touched a lightsaber because you know, girl power. Fuck all that training and patience that was supposed to be the main point of the series. Now it's girls rule.

She only had any chance b/c of Chewie's laser blast from his bowgun or whatever that's like Joe Piscopo's gun from Johnny Dangerously (it shoots through schools, a tree behind the school, ....) .... pretty much everyone else would've immediately croaked from it but him. She barely 'beat' him at, like, 20% or so.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:32 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

She only had any chance b/c of Chewie's laser blast from his bowgun or whatever that's like Joe Piscopo's gun from Johnny Dangerously (it shoots through schools, a tree behind the school, ....) .... pretty much everyone else would've immediately croaked from it but him. She barely 'beat' him at, like, 20% or so.

So you agree it was a bit ridiculous. Also if there is a new republic fight the remnants of the Empire why are the good guys the resistance?

I wanted to like it more, but I thought it was so -overhyped and overrated.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I dunno if it's time for the Jedi to end, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the end of these crappy Star Wars movies.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:52 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown

Thats because she's a Mary Sue not a real talent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

So you agree it was a bit ridiculous. Also if there is a new republic fight the remnants of the Empire why are the good guys the resistance?

I wanted to like it more, but I thought it was so -overhyped and overrated.

Do I think it was ridiculous? No, not quite yet. I'll see where these movies go and then decide how ridiculous it may or may not have been. I didn't need a whole movie devoted to her training just so she could eke out a lucky win against the equivalent of LeBron with two busted ankles and a sprained wrist on his shooting hand ... nor did I need to just have her walk up out of nowhere "hey, I can handle a lightsaber even though there's not supposed to be any anymore". They had their tribute to the first two movies in that one, now we'll start covering unknown ground (I presume) going forward.

Tall Midget wrote:
I dunno if it's time for the Jedi to end, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the end of these crappy Star Wars movies.

I hope you end up on some reality-show version of 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", mister.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios

I guess there was an answer to that in the novel that came out near the last movie. Apparently Leia was worried about the New Order growing militarily and the New Republic senate blew her off and accused her of just starting up trouble. That's why she started the resistance, as a personal force to battle the New Order. The New Republic knows about them but doesn't openly support them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
no way this doesn't suck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I'm amazed at how awesome Mark Hamill continues to be. Plus Disney cleaned him up good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:33 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

All we ever really saw Kylo do was stop a blaster bolt in midair and shank his father. Just because he dresses like Vader doesn't mean he's as remotely powerful as him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
KDdidit wrote:
I'm amazed at how awesome Mark Hamill continues to be. Plus Disney cleaned him up good.

I was amused by his appearance at the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Here's hoping Boyd is too busy to read this thread so that I can avoid the public shaming he will give me for saying that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:35 pm 

I thought that battle was silly. Now I understand that a large part of Star wars is about suspending logical belief. But there is no way she should have had a chance in that battle. Didn't he "freeze" her with his powers earlier in that sequence?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:43 pm 

denisdman wrote:

I thought that battle was silly. Now I understand that a large part of Star wars is about suspending logical belief. But there is no way she should have had a chance in that battle. Didn't he "freeze" her with his powers earlier in that sequence?

He was half dead from a blaster wound in his gut. He was also less than mentally sound at that point, he had just killed his father.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
denisdman wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

I was amused by his appearance at the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Here's hoping Boyd is too busy to read this thread so that I can avoid the public shaming he will give me for saying that.

Why?

Just because Strike Back was the worst of all the Jay and Silent Bob movies doesn't mean his work as Cockknocker wasn't all sorts of awesome.

I could have done without Dawson and the kid that stuck his dick in a pie in that pile of crap, though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:44 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Now I understand that a large part of Star wars is about suspending logical belief.

Have you never watched a movie or TV show before?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:53 pm 

Hank- Jedi vs. untrained potential Jedi. No match.
Boyd- I figured you hated that movie. I figured rightly. Surprised you have anything good to say about it though.
Don- No, the tvs in my house go unused, and my Directv subscription can only be described as corporate welfare.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:54 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
denisdman wrote:

He was half dead from a blaster wound in his gut. He was also less than mentally sound at that point, he had just killed his father.

He did not seem half-dead. I thought that the original movies established that it takes years to master Jedi skills, and if you rush into it you will be corrupted. Picking up a lightsaber and kicking around the toughest bad guy of the movie basically goes against that. It seemed to be pandering.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:01 pm 

Ruff, everyone in my social circle agrees. I liked the movie overall, but most felt that scene was way out of bounds of the general Star Wars order. But then again, you had Ewoks beating up storm troopers. Another stain on the saga.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:02 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
denisdman wrote:

He did not seem half-dead. I thought that the original movies established that it takes years to master Jedi skills, and if you rush into it you will be corrupted. Picking up a lightsaber and kicking around the toughest bad guy of the movie basically goes against that. It seemed to be pandering.

Who is to say Rey didn't succumb to the dark side to give her power to win (even though she didn't win the fight it was a draw against an emotionally and physically damaged person). Furthermore, he wasn't trying to kill her, he saw the power and potential in her. He was trying to seduce her to join him and Snoke. Watch the scene again, it isn't as bad as you think.

Also, KD pointed out we have no idea how good Kylo is... Maybe he sucks at fighting with a lightsaber. Not every Jedi is awesome with a lightsaber.

Anyone who has an issue with this scene should be pissed about the Luke/Vader fights as well. Same thing with about a week more training (but no sword fighting training, only physical endurance and force manipulation) and up against one of the documented greatest swordsmen in the galaxy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:05 pm 

Ok, I will watch it again. My wife always chides me for being too skeptical. I yell at the tv (that I don't watch) all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:08 pm 

Kylo isn't a Jedi though. He's someone obsessed with the Jedi. Maybe the 2nd movie will flesh it out and show that he is a great fighter and the light saber scene will look bad, but for all we know he could just be a Jedi cosplayer. Maybe a chas level military historian or something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:08 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Ok, I will watch it again. My wife always chides me for being too skeptical. I yell at the tv (that I don't watch) all the time.

:lol: :lol:

I had the same reaction on first viewing but after the <redacted for embarrassment> viewing, I decided it wasn't that bad. It's not without fault but it isn't the abomination that I thought it was.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:10 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Kylo isn't a Jedi though. He's someone obsessed with the Jedi. Maybe the 2nd movie will flesh it out and show that he is a great fighter and the light saber scene will look bad, but for all we know he could just be a Jedi cosplayer. Maybe a chas level military historian or something.

He was part of a Jedi training class (assuming based on flashbacks). He had mental powers during the interrogation. He stopped a laser bolt in mid air and held it with seemingly little effort. He might not officially be a Jedi but he has Jedi powers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:10 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Who is to say Rey didn't succumb to the dark side to give her power to win (even though she didn't win the fight it was a draw against an emotionally and physically damaged person). Furthermore, he wasn't trying to kill her, he saw the power and potential in her. He was trying to seduce her to join him and Snoke. Watch the scene again, it isn't as bad as you think.

Also, KD pointed out we have no idea how good Kylo is... Maybe he sucks at fighting with a lightsaber. Not every Jedi is awesome with a lightsaber.

Anyone who has an issue with this scene should be pissed about the Luke/Vader fights as well. Same thing with about a week more training (but no sword fighting training, only physical endurance and force manipulation) and up against one of the documented greatest swordsmen in the galaxy.

The Luke Vader stuff is not even comparable. He started training in the first movie. Spent months in the military seemingly training and learning to use the light saber. Then goes off to train with the greatest master of them all. How long is he there? We are not really certain. Seems like it could have been months though. Then he is largely toyed with by Vader even after all of that.

In this movie the girl picks it up and dominates. And you have to make all sorts of excuses to explain it. Kylo Ren isn't good with a lightsaber. Ok. Then why do we even need Luke Skywalker to help out? Just confront him again and kick the shit out of him.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:14 pm 

He trained in ANH for about an hour with a drone and he sucked at it. We never see him training with a lightsaber again. Not to say he didn't but we don't see it at all. We know that Vader is great with a lightsaber.

Rey proves earlier in the movie that she has some skill with hand to hand weapons. She has that staff that she uses pretty handily. Some of that skill would transfer. At least enough to hold off dying against a better trained opponent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next