It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Tall Midget wrote:
This movie was an incoherent, inconsistent pile of trash:

--Rey is completely untrained, but has the power and skills of a Jedi master. Ridiculous. The whole concept of Jedi training has been abandoned. Anyone can apparently kick some intragalactic ass if the thought occurs to them.

Yep.

Pussification of the galaxy.

"Oh you want to be a Jedi? You can do it! All you have to do is want it."

You don't think Watto would've liked to be a Jedi? How about Jar Jar? Heesa tried but nosa Jedi for him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Terry's Peeps wrote:
You don't think Watto would've liked to be a Jedi? How about Jar Jar? Heesa tried but nosa Jedi for him.

Jar Jar was a Sith Lord.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Psycory wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Jar Jar was a Sith Lord.

I thought he died as a homeless street performer on Coruscant?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Psycory wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Jar Jar was a Sith Lord.

I thought he died as a homeless street performer on Coruscant?

Not dead yet, just a homeless street performer.
Still a Sith Lord, playing the long con.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
312player wrote:
Im hearing this movie sucked.

It sucked so much.

Things I can do without:

Admiral Purple Haired dumbass and her plan that got people killed for no reason.

Random Asian woman telling me you defeat people by loving them. Kill yourself please.

Luke being wasted and reduced to a footnote

In short Rian Johnson is the devil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Tall Midget wrote:
--The mythology developed by the prequels strongly implies that connection to the Force is based on heredity; this film seems to reject that notion entirely, although it is so poorly conceived that it is either unable or unwilling to forward any kind of alternative origin narrative.

Yes and no. The Skywalker genes certainly carried a high degree of force sensitivity but that is likely because Anakin was immaculately conceived through the force. Most true Jedi Knights and Masters wouldn't be having children as relationships were forbidden. Most of the Jedi were force sensitive children found throughout the galaxy and brought to the temple for training.

I was bothered by the reveal of Rey's lineage only because it was built up as a mystery by TFA. If they had just made her a normal orphan, I'd be fine with it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:15 pm 

Best Star Wars movie outside of Phantom Menace.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I thought it was good.

You all are just whiny fanboys that can't handle the evolution of the Universe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:33 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
I thought it was good.

I'm sick of hearing that refrain. If you didn't like it, you are a petulant fanboy. I'm OK with new characters, I loved TFA and R1. I didn't hate it but I certainly didn't love it. The whole tone of the movie was different. It would be like a new season of GoT coming out and the style being closer to Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I think it would be fair to not like the direction that it was seemingly headed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Well we're now rolling with spoilers and whatnot, so somebody answer me this.

Why did this nobody Laura Dern character have to be the one that kamikazed herself to save (kinda) the others? WHY THE HELL WASN'T IT ADMIRAL ACKBAR?!?!?!? Instead of him just dying like a bitch by being sucked out into space, give that mother fucker one last moment of glory. Hell, work something in where he's talking to the other ship

bad guy: what are you doing?
ack: I'm saving the others from your ship.
bad guy: Huh? How? What is this, some sort of game?
ack: No, it's not a game ..... it's a trap!

Or something like that .... and then he plows the road. The theater would've popped like the night Jericho appeared on Raw the first time.

But no .... giraffe-neck captain admiral viceroy whatever the hell she was does it .... "women's power" or some such shit I'm sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:49 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Well we're now rolling with spoilers and whatnot, so somebody answer me this.

Why did this nobody Laura Dern character have to be the one that kamikazed herself to save (kinda) the others? WHY THE HELL WASN'T IT ADMIRAL ACKBAR?!?!?!? Instead of him just dying like a bitch by being sucked out into space, give that mother fucker one last moment of glory. Hell, work something in where he's talking to the other ship

bad guy: what are you doing?
ack: I'm saving the others from your ship.
bad guy: Huh? How? What is this, some sort of game?
ack: No, it's not a game ..... it's a trap!

Or something like that .... and then he plows the road. The theater would've popped like the night Jericho appeared on Raw the first time.

But no .... giraffe-neck captain admiral viceroy whatever the hell she was does it .... "women's power" or some such shit I'm sure.

This movie was all about not giving us those moments. So as cool as that sounds, it was the antithesis of what Johnson was trying to do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:53 pm 

This apparently is the 'first preview' from the upcoming Han Solo movie ..... I have no idea who the diner waitress is supposed to be.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Jarjar binks, young and older Anakin skywalker ruined the first two remakes for me. Should have been much more Mcgregor and Neeson and Darthmaul.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Don Tiny wrote:
This apparently is the 'first preview' from the upcoming Han Solo movie ..... I have no idea who the diner waitress is supposed to be.

Emilia Clarke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Boy, that Rose character sure sucked. Couldn't they think of something better for Finn? Great character and here he's stuck with Rose.

Some of the humor didn't really work with the audience, but a few lines were still intrinsically funny. Not like that robot in Rogue One, but still pretty good.

The diverse cast (I'm thinking age here) was both interesting and annoying. But that's how it is until you're used to something, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
tommy wrote:
Boy, that Rose character sure sucked. Couldn't they think of something better for Finn? Great character and here he's stuck with Rose.

Some of the humor didn't really work with the audience, but a few lines were still intrinsically funny. Not like that robot in Rogue One, but still pretty good.

The diverse cast (I'm thinking age here) was both interesting and annoying. But that's how it is until you're used to something, if that makes sense.

Rose is the new Jar Jar.

Not to go all Bernstein but THERE. WAS. TOO. MUCH. HUMOR.

TLJ was like a bad marvel movie directed by Whedon, quips and mugging. Like Benny Hill in space

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
saw it for the 2nd time.

i still like it, but it's falling to the middle of the 9 films.

btw: if you think rian johnson does whatever he wants to fuck up Star Wars, you don't know Disney.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Hank Scorpio wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I thought it was good.

I'm sick of hearing that refrain. If you didn't like it, you are a petulant fanboy. I'm OK with new characters, I loved TFA and R1. I didn't hate it but I certainly didn't love it. The whole tone of the movie was different. It would be like a new season of GoT coming out and the style being closer to Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I think it would be fair to not like the direction that it was seemingly headed.

Yet you all come across sounding like petulant fanboys. Not as bad as the petition idiots, but I digress.

For the record, if GoT was closer to Monty Python, I’d consider watching it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:23 pm 

It would be a good galaxy right now in which to be a worker.

With all the destroyed equipment and incinerated soldiers, workers are going to be at a premium. Like the days after the Black Death, wages will rise and a new middle class will form. Do they even need a rebellion? The new middle class will (eventually) demand a democracy. Freedom is on the way, Jedis or no.

I like how the Empire or whatever has Bad Women working for them. I think that in the next sequel, we'll see a trans-Darth Vader type. That would be awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Don Tiny wrote:

LOL - NICE! Don Tiny strikes again! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe they're trying to mix in a spinoff prequel for Alice -

MELS DINER - VERA'S REVENGE

Last edited by HawaiiYou on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I've never heard of this guy until today, but he does a pretty entertaining take on TLJ and pretty much sums up how I feel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D81f1M7IwSg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:08 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
I've never heard of this guy until today, but he does a pretty entertaining take on TLJ and pretty much sums up how I feel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D81f1M7IwSg

Yeah, he's right about some of the plot holes and nonsensical twists and turns as well as the stuff about Luke's character.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:28 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
--The mythology developed by the prequels strongly implies that connection to the Force is based on heredity; this film seems to reject that notion entirely, although it is so poorly conceived that it is either unable or unwilling to forward any kind of alternative origin narrative.

Yes and no. The Skywalker genes certainly carried a high degree of force sensitivity but that is likely because Anakin was immaculately conceived through the force. Most true Jedi Knights and Masters wouldn't be having children as relationships were forbidden. Most of the Jedi were force sensitive children found throughout the galaxy and brought to the temple for training.

I was bothered by the reveal of Rey's lineage only because it was built up as a mystery by TFA. If they had just made her a normal orphan, I'd be fine with it.

I don't exactly remember TFA building her parents up to be a large mystery. it was the fans that did that after the fact. theres one flashback scene of her remembering being dropped off....orphaned.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
They should have just run with Heir to the Empire by Zhan. Great story and did not do too much,then do these .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I agree there has to be a certain level of suspension of disbelief with any of these movies, but there should also be care taken not to introduce concepts that make other films in the series seem inconsistent. For example, Gareth Edwards (the director of Rogue One) mentioned that when they were writing the one-man-wrecking-crew scene at the end, they had all kinds of suggestions for moves Vader might make—some that we haven’t seen before. But Edwards insisted that they would only use actions that had been shown in previous movies. If Darth had shown some new mystical powers like time travel or invisibility etc, I think people would have felt like it was cheating.

That’s kind of how I felt about Luke’s projection. It’s a godlike power and in the future we’ll have to wonder if what we’re watching is “real” or an image (unless he’s the only one to ever learn that ability).

I just assumed Yoda taught him that as his "last lesson" when he came to see him as a force ghost.

The further removed I am from seeing it the less I like it. I can't really think of a reason to be excited about the last movie of this trilogy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:26 am 

Franky T wrote:
I can't really think of a reason to be excited about the last movie of this trilogy.

JJ's back in the director's chair.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:14 pm 

Comment from TLJ Reddit thread that sums up pretty well my biggest gripe with the film:

My theory is that many of the people who hate this movie see it as the total bastardization of one of the most iconic heroes in cinematic history. If you are of a certain age, you grew up with Luke Skywalker not just being a hero, but the hero. The original Star Wars trilogy was a formative experience for a huge number of viewers, and Luke was front and center: It's the fantastic and simple story of a naive, overly-optimistic farm boy who was destined for greatness.
While "The Force Awakens" was basically a rehash of "A New Hope," this newest movie was set up to tackle some serious issues, chiefly: Where is Luke Skywalker? And why did he leave?
What we're seeing is that a lot of people really hate Rian Johnson's answer.
Luke Skywalker in this movie is not the same man he was in the original trilogy, and while that angle of "Never meet your heroes, kid. They'll just disappoint you" is an fascinating and ambitious approach to take for The Hero of an entire generation, Johnson's implementation fell flat. The Luke we know would never have sat idly by while his best friend and sister are targeted by a Sith Lord, especially not one that he feels responsible in creating.
His rationality for stepping away from the force is entirely ridiculous, too. If anything, Luke should feel even more obligated to save Kylo Ren. This is his nephew that he has unintentionally pushed toward the Dark Side of the Force. Neither Obiwan nor Yoda believed Vader could be redeemed, but Luke risked everything to save his father; Why does Rian Johnson think that Luke would ever see Kylo Ren as a lost cause? Star Wars fans aren't buying it because the original trilogy taught us that nobody is a lost cause.
There are a million other questionable decisions throughout "The Last Jedi" that take us out of the action, but the mishandling of Luke Skywalker is the lynch pin. A large section of fans saw that as an unforgivable offense, and I kind of agree with them. The premise of Luke shutting down to the Force and giving up is fascinating, but it wasn't executed well at all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:20 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Comment from TLJ Reddit thread that sums up pretty well my biggest gripe with the film:

My theory is that many of the people who hate this movie see it as the total bastardization of one of the most iconic heroes in cinematic history. If you are of a certain age, you grew up with Luke Skywalker not just being a hero, but the hero. The original Star Wars trilogy was a formative experience for a huge number of viewers, and Luke was front and center: It's the fantastic and simple story of a naive, overly-optimistic farm boy who was destined for greatness.
While "The Force Awakens" was basically a rehash of "A New Hope," this newest movie was set up to tackle some serious issues, chiefly: Where is Luke Skywalker? And why did he leave?
What we're seeing is that a lot of people really hate Rian Johnson's answer.
Luke Skywalker in this movie is not the same man he was in the original trilogy, and while that angle of "Never meet your heroes, kid. They'll just disappoint you" is an fascinating and ambitious approach to take for The Hero of an entire generation, Johnson's implementation fell flat. The Luke we know would never have sat idly by while his best friend and sister are targeted by a Sith Lord, especially not one that he feels responsible in creating.
His rationality for stepping away from the force is entirely ridiculous, too. If anything, Luke should feel even more obligated to save Kylo Ren. This is his nephew that he has unintentionally pushed toward the Dark Side of the Force. Neither Obiwan nor Yoda believed Vader could be redeemed, but Luke risked everything to save his father; Why does Rian Johnson think that Luke would ever see Kylo Ren as a lost cause? Star Wars fans aren't buying it because the original trilogy taught us that nobody is a lost cause.
There are a million other questionable decisions throughout "The Last Jedi" that take us out of the action, but the mishandling of Luke Skywalker is the lynch pin. A large section of fans saw that as an unforgivable offense, and I kind of agree with them. The premise of Luke shutting down to the Force and giving up is fascinating, but it wasn't executed well at all.

+ Rose sucked. Bad character, bad lines, bad hair, bad height.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Luke has never kissed a girl besides his sister, let alone get laid because of the Force. Would drive most men, even the greatest of heroes, crazy.

It would have been better if they found him on the island lying in a bed of naked beauties just going to pound town 24/7.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:30 pm 

W_Z wrote:
"thor" was trash, too. it's just really good trash. it's still comic book level stuff. there's no depth, it's just goofball stuff. "guardians" is one of the few marvel franchises to rise above that level. but a lot of the marvel flicks are on the same level as this "star wars" film.

i don't know what your thing is with bringing up "dunkirk" in relation to films like these. they're completely different kinds of movies.

Ragnorak was basically GOTG-lite. There are MANY similarities in theme and presentation.

I do agree Marvel Disney has had some issues with their films, namely redundancy, that could have been signaling the end of the peak comic book era. However, the acquisition of Fox is interesting. Fox's willingness to use different genres to tell comic book stories is the type of model DM needs to continue.

With all due respect WZ, your rating system throws me off when a great film like Dunkirk is rated the same as a turd like The Last Jedi. Sure, they aren't the same genre, but they also aren't the same quality of film. Not even close.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next