It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
tommy wrote:
+ Rose sucked. Bad character, bad lines, bad hair, bad height.

And her "bombing" (at the beginning) doesn't seem plausible given the lack of gravity. I guess a minor quibble, but still.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
tommy wrote:

And her "bombing" (at the beginning) doesn't seem plausible given the lack of gravity. I guess a minor quibble, but still.

Wasn't that her sister?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Jbi11s wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
tommy wrote:

Wasn't that her sister?

Yes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Jbi11s wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
tommy wrote:

Wasn't that her sister?

Yeah, you're right...as I was writing I couldn't remember if it was actually her but didn't bother to check.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
her name is Paige...and she very much died.
I believe the idea is that the bombs work b/c the ships are so large they have gravity.

People that think Rian Johnson was able to do whatever he wanted are completely mistaken. Kathleen Kennedy runs the Star Wars arm for Disney. They didn't just hand him the keys to the Falcon and tell him to fuck up the universe. This was a Disney move.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
doug - evergreen park wrote:
I believe the idea is that the bombs work b/c the ships are so large they have gravity.

Magnets?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:27 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:

With all due respect WZ, your rating system throws me off when a great film like Dunkirk is rated the same as a turd like The Last Jedi. Sure, they aren't the same genre, but they also aren't the same quality of film. Not even close.

i think i already explained the difference back in the "Dunkirk" thread; these are two completely different movie experiences and different expectations. Like the famous Siskel & Ebert squabble back in 1987 over "Benji: The Hunted" and "Full Metal Jacket", where Siskel lambasted Ebert for giving thumbs up to "Benji" but not to "Full Metal Jacket", thinking the latter was a more important movie. Ebert, whom I agreed with, correctly stated that the two films are reaching different goals, feeling that "Jacket" didn't pull off what Kubrick wanted.

So for me, "Dunkirk", failing to have a compelling central narrative, failed to be great because it didn't achieve what I think Nolan thought he did. I think "Last Jedi" wanted to entertain, and it did. For me, anyway.

With regards to "Last Jedi", the reddit user isn't correct in assuming that Luke felt that he failed Kylo Ren and gave up on him. Luke abandoned everyone because he failed himself, he failed The Force, and that's why he didn't want to help anyone anymore. He had a whole speech devoted to tearing down the "legend" of Luke Skywalker.

And it's funny that it's a problem when Luke does it; but Obi-Wan did the same thing, and so did Yoda. I think it's a Jedi thing. Run away, find seclusion, and become a hermit.

Luke was probably the best thing about "Last Jedi".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

sjboyd0137 wrote:

Magnets?

space magic...

agreed W_Z. Everyone forgets that Ben & Yoda went into hiding for 20 years vs Luke's 5-10 years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambl ... val-998045

hollywoodreporter wrote:

Kennedy talks about 'Star Wars,' gender equality and her secrets to producing success. "I wouldn't sit here and say you must go into film and study only film and go to film school. The most important thing is to have a point of view and have something to say."

Brentwood's elite private school, The Archer School for Girls, has landed some major Hollywood names for featured gigs as keynote speakers during the past five years of the Archer Film Festival. The sixth annual edition, which kicked off Wednesday night at the Writers Guild Theater in Beverly Hills, was no different.

Lucasfilm president and uber producer Kathleen Kennedy delivered opening remarks to open this year's fest, following in the footsteps of previous keynote speakers including J.J. Abrams, producer Nina Jacobson, Fox Animation's Vanessa Morrison, and writers Melissa Rosenberg and Amanda Brown. But Hollywood's boldfaced names aren't the only stars at this event. (Even still, other top industry names in attendance Wednesday included UTA's Rena Ronson and producer Avi Lerner.)

Also shining at the Archer Film Festival are the students (it's a completely student-driven event) and the films (more than 800 were submitted from across the globe). "One of the most important things that we need to teach girls is how to ask for what they want, so when they run an event like this, they go out and they get the theater donated, they get the food donated, they approach people like J.J. Abrams or Kathleen Kennedy to be their keynote speakers," explained head of school Elizabeth English. "They have to ask, and they learn sometimes people are going to say no, but guess what, often times people say yes."

Two people who were especially stoked that Kennedy said yes this year were festival co-chairs and Archer seniors Alex Sherman and Billie Wakeham. The duo — who are overseeing the two-day festival — got to interview Kennedy following her keynote address, covering a wide-range of topics from her work relaunching the Star Wars franchise to her best advice for young people interested in a film career.

Kennedy, fresh from London, where she's shooting the new Han Solo film with directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, attended with her husband, fellow uber producer Frank Marshall. (The couple has a daughter who attends Archer and another who is an alum.) Below are highlights from Kennedy's keynote and the onstage interview.

1. Yoda inspires the Star Wars producer

Kennedy opened her keynote by quoting the pint-sized Jedi master. "The best way to begin talking about the themes of this festival might be to start with a quote from Yoda: 'Do or do not, there is no try.' That is the goal of gender equality. There is no try, there is only do. Right now women make up less than a quarter of all positions in the film industry, and less than a third of all speaking roles. The media tends to focus on the disparity of directors and actors, but I'd like to see more discussion around all the positions across the industry. Without a more balanced workforce, isolated progress will continue to remain an anomaly and not the seismic shift that is needed."

2. Kennedy was introduced to Star Wars in film school

"I know J.J. (Abrams) was here last year. He gets to say that he was 7 when he saw Star Wars. I wasn’t. My introduction to Star Wars was a little different. Ironically, I was in film school ... so it was a meaningful introduction. What I realized when I stepped into this role was that it was important to people. Recognizing that it was this modern mythology that had formed a lot of the culture of filmmaking for so many people, it carried with it a huge responsibility. I was stepping into something that wasn't mine. It was George Lucas', who created the whole thing. But then it belonged to the fans. That is what I had to recognize and learn about so I could carry that on and meet those expectations."

3. Kennedy credits Star Wars' values for its longtime success

"Inside Star Wars are values that mean something to people. It's aspirational. It's full of hope. These are oddly values that we don't see in a lot of tentpole movies anymore. I don't know why there tends to be a more dystopian, apocalyptic view of the world. The great thing is, that's not what Star Wars is, and that's why it appeals to people."

4. A producer's most important skill is communication

"The producer in effect has to work as a translator. You form a very tight relationship with the director and writer, from the beginning, and then you are constantly communicating to the various people that begin to come into the process, as you are trying to manage to hold on to a vision that needs to be communicated over a long period of time. You could be working on something for three, four or five years. Maintaining that vision and point of view is really difficult. Communication skills are key."

5. Kennedy's best advice for film industry hopefuls: See the world

"I wouldn't sit here and say you must go into film and study only film and go to film school. The most important thing is to have a point of view and have something to say. That is important if you are filmmaker or artist. That means you have to experience the world."

6. Kennedy is a self-described '70s cinephile

"I loved David Lean, he had a huge influence on me when I was going to film school. I loved (Francois) Truffaut, (Frederico) Fellini, (Michelangelo) Antonioni. (Their) movies really impacted me. Stanley Kubrick and early Francis Ford Coppola with Apocalypse Now. The classics."

7. Kennedy opened with Yoda, and closed with Yoda

"There are literally hundreds of people working in areas throughout production, marketing, visual effects and post production, and still, the majority of those jobs are held by men. These are all jobs that women can do, they just need to be given the chance. That means that unions, studios, producers, directors and other women in positions of power and responsibility need to make the effort. So, do, or do not. There is no try. The force is female."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:47 pm 

i thought women didn't want to be called "female".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
I'm glad she is providing opportunities for these upper-middle class young women.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
tommy wrote:
I'm glad she is providing opportunities for these upper-middle class young women.

It's about damn time the students at Brentwood's elite private school, The Archer School for Girls, caught a break.

They're awfully close to an #ArcherSoWhite hashtag.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Tad Queasy wrote:

They're awfully close to an #ArcherSoWhite hashtag.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:05 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Question - say in the next movie all of our questions are answered and we're left happy and like 'well that made sense'. Would that make us watch Last Jedi again and be warm to it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Magnets?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Magnets?

space magic...

So when the pilot guy that owns BB8 hit the gas, why the hell did we see him thrown back in his seat and the robot roll down into a heretofore unseen section of the X-Wing?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Took my daughters -age 10 & 8 to see it today. They loved it. My 8 year old's review:
It was the best star wars movie because it was funny & lots of stuff going on. I liked that Rey and Kylo worked together to beat the red guys. Also, She stood up to Kylo and won again. Oh, and the porgs are cute.

Also, is it possible that I saw the Jedi books in the Falcon at the end, in a drawer?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Psycory wrote:
Took my daughters -age 10 & 8 to see it today. They loved it. My 8 year old's review:
It was the best star wars movie because it was funny & lots of stuff going on. I liked that Rey and Kylo worked together to beat the red guys. Also, She stood up to Kylo and won again. Oh, and the porgs are cute.

Also, is it possible that I saw the Jedi books in the Falcon at the end, in a drawer?

yeah, someone (Rey, I guess) saved them

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Tad Queasy wrote:

1, 2, 3, 4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Saw this Wednesday night.

My first take coming out of it is just how badly both this franchise and Hollywood as a whole have wasted Mark Hamill's acting skills.

Due to the LS typecasting, he has been stuck doing voiceovers as Joker the past 2-3 decades, and this dude could seriously contend for Academy Awards if he was awarded the right roles.

Anyhow, in this movie, his talents are entirely wasted.

It is a shame how they stripped Skywalker of all regality and prowess. He looked old. His eyes bulged like he had a thyroid problem, and the camera work on him was horrible. Made him look weak and old. Not how Sir Alec Guiness looked in the first movie. At ALL.

Snoke was a joke. Dude can Force Push, but has no sense of intuition? C'mon. Is he a Sith or not? I have read some places saying that he is not, but after seeing the movie I would ask: How do they know this?

Just disgusting how they have to "'85 Bears" disgrace, disregard, and dispose of all of the foundation characters like that.

That said, Carrie Fisher should not have made it out of the screen test for this new trilogy. She was clearly brain-damaged, and her acting was worse than watching someone read cue cards. Her annoying, lifelong smoker, Denny's waitress raspy, scratchy voice made my ears practically bleed as well. I would have been happier if they found a way to have Leia not make it into this movie, or if they would have re-cast the role entirely and put at least a good-looking older chick in there. What's the point of watching Grandma Leia? Yuck.

Even so, it was a decent adventure, albeit about 30 minutes too long. The explosions, ships, and fight sequences were pretty good, although I'd say that the First Order MAJORLY lacks direction - even when the leadership structure was the same as at the beginning of the film. I still give it 3/4 stars, just because of the music, the enormity of the production, and the few good moments it did share, . . . but the problem here is that all Star Wars Movies should ideally be 4 stars.

I apologize to The Hawk

Last edited by Panther pislA on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:47 am 

Panther pislA wrote:
She was clearly brain-damaged, and her acting was worse than watching someone read cue cards. Her annoying, lifelong smoker, Denny's waitress raspy, scratchy voice made my ears practically bleed as well.

For some reason this cracked me the fuck up. Everyone has treated Carrie's performance with kid gloves considering what happened.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Dern didn't tell Poe her plan because he just needlessly got a bunch of people killed, got demoted, and had his ass chewed out by Leia in the opening.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

tommy wrote:
Psycory wrote:

yeah, someone (Rey, I guess) saved them

yes, which is why Yoda called down lightning to destroy the tree...so, that Luke would quit worrying about the past and move on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:49 pm 

http://www.screengeek.net/2017/12/24/di ... y-to-bomb/

This is going to be fun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
KDdidit wrote:
Dern didn't tell Poe her plan because he just needlessly got a bunch of people killed, got demoted, and had his ass chewed out by Leia in the opening.

But she kept the plan secret from everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:10 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
http://www.screengeek.net/2017/12/24/disney-expects-solo-a-star-wars-story-to-bomb/

This is going to be fun

Quote:
Disney is bracing themselves for the Han Solo movie to bomb. They were worried about it before all The Last Jedi controversy, but now they’re essentially writing Solo off. The lead actor, Alden Ehrenreich, can’t act, and they had a dialogue coach on hand for all of his scenes. On top of that, the script is unworkable. It’s going to be a car crash.

After reading the linked article, I'm still not sure why Disney would expect the Solo movie to "bomb". Coupling incompetent acting with incoherent writing has been an incredibly successful formula for virtually all of the other Star Wars movies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:26 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

We don't know that for sure. Maybe she did maybe she didn't, either way it's not some immersion breaking plot hole for a Star Wars movie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:31 am 

KDdidit wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

We don't know that for sure. Maybe she did maybe she didn't, either way it's not some immersion breaking plot hole for a Star Wars movie.

Protect strong purple haired womyn at all costs. For justice!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:34 am 

Suicide bombers should be celebrated

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:35 am 

KDdidit wrote:
Suicide bombers should be celebrated

Space jihad is the most righteous

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next