It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Little Things
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL
Watched on HBO Max Friday. Interesting story which really doesn't give a clear answer to who the killer is. I'm going to rewatch it because I guess the boots Denzel went to pick up as evidence might have some relevance. There's some obvious similarity to Seven, which Denzel passed on (read that yesterday,didn't know that) in the climatic scene and the music/scoring is really good.

Denzel is good in it, Leto is great and almost unrecognizable. Rami Malek was pretty stiff but I think that was how it was written. Given that it was released on Max and in the theater I opted to watch it at home. Had it not been a Covid environment I'm sure I would have seen this in the theater and might have been a little pissed at paying $20. I'd rate it a 7 out of 10.

Post subject: Re: The Little Things
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Watched it also. As you said it was fine. I thought that was the killer but as you touched on they really didn’t tell me that. As for Rami he was not great and all I could focus on was that they didn’t have to fake the big teeth overbite of Mercury that much.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Haven’t seen that much talent wasted since the 2017 Chicago Cubs.

Really disappointed in the ambiguous ending.

What happens to Rami Malek’s character if Leto wasn’t the serial killer, and the murders continue?

Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I saw it last night. I think there was something wrong with the direction. It was like Denzel and Malek didn't know how they wanted to play their characters so they just decided to play both of them as extremely low key.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL
Jbi11s wrote:

What happens to Rami Malek’s character if Leto wasn’t the serial killer, and the murders continue?

Ridiculous.

Was the first suspect they interviewed who shot himself the killer? Neither of Leto’s cars were the ones in the opening scene or the one following the jogger.

Malek as a detective was probably done anyway, similar to Denzel’s character. They were both the star detective and then they killed someone, Denzel that lady and Malek killed Leto. Both murders were covered up to haunt them the rest of their careers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Yes I understand the theme of grief, but with no clear cut resolution the message falls flat.

I’m all for ambiguous endings, but this didn’t do it for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:47 pm 

They didn't find the killer. It was all about covering up mistakes when trying to find serial killer. Did not like this movie.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
If it ended with the red ribbon being sent, it probably worked. Once that was fake, it failed. The long haired bad guy was really good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:56 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
So, is this a piece of shit then? RT has it at 48 percent!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
blackhawksfan wrote:
So, is this a piece of shit then? RT has it at 48 percent!

It's not a piece of shit. It's still a GOOD movie. Leto killed it. Something new and fresh to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:15 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Denzel was worth admission as always.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Saw it last night. As mentioned they didn't stick the landing but still a good movie. Would recommend. Leto's fantastic

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:34 am 

SPOILERS

I can't speak to how good this is without giving away the ending...or at least i don't want to. This movie is not about catching a killer. It's about the obsession detectives/cops fall into that eats at their lives. I remember a book called "Death Scenes" which was a picture book collection of death photos taken by a cop who went nuts because of how obsessed he became with the death part of crime scenes. That's the essence of this movie. It's how people can drive themselves crazy, give up their morals, destroy their lives, because they're so sure of wanting to do the right thing.

That's the movie's strength. There is a lull between act 2/act 3 until Sparma takes Jimmy out to the desert. If you ever follow true crime or "Unsolved Mysteries", there are plenty of weirdos out there who just want to toy with police or become part of a story. That's what Sparma represents. The guy that makes the most sense, but isn't at all the killer. He looks the part, acts the part, even is suspicious. But Jimmy killing him makes Jimmy the bad guy. Deke killing the woman in the past makes him the bad guy. The covering up is part of the mask that they put on that "Hey, it's for the greater good. Because we're the good guys."

This is ultimately the psychology of the film. Even with the best intentions we can become evil.

The barrette at the end with the note "No Angels" puts a fine point on it. Jimmy will not suffer the consequences, but he'll always have to live with it.

"The Little Things" are exactly what Deke tells Jimmy: the things that will get you caught. It's not "the little things" that you need to catch a killer. But the "little things" that wind up destroying your soul.

:D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
pittmike wrote:
Denzel was worth admission as always.

Not this time. Both he and Malek took a real understated and low energy approach to their characters. I really don't know what they were trying to convey. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they weren't phoning it in, but that’s the way it seemed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I mark it under the Good but not Great category. I thought Washington and Leto were pretty darn good. Malek looked like he was trying to play a robot at times. Maybe that is the way the character was written, like way too tightly wound, but I just didn't buy it and thought he was miscast here. I just didn't buy a savvy detective that has seen some shit from him.