It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:00 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
You continue to repeat the dogma- it's a bad word regardless of context. And you have provided an end date on that of when racism "is no longer a problem".
There are two uses for the word. One is bad. The other is an attempt by the target to change/lessen the original meaning.

I agree with that. I'm not sure who wouldn't. But, and Professor Loury addresses this in his podcast that I linked above, should it be a word that is simply stricken from use by white people in, for example, an academic discussion wherein reference to the word is unavoidable?

I finally got to listen to that podcast. They should be embarrassed. Intellectual sophistry on display

Why do you say that? Are their opinions not valid?

McWhorter on one hand talks about his experience on some insignificant radio interview 22 years ago, and how the word was ok then and how it's controlling proof of the standard(which is bs), but then he's all over the place as to the (his completely defensible)taboo of whites using the word but accuses some (like me here) from being fraudulently pious. Then wonder why their "scholarship" often gets rejected (for being circular, if not non-sensical) imo

And to cite the interpretation/discussion of the former dean of Chicago Law is comical. It's also the school of Law & Sex/Economics. They've historically tried to justify anything under a silly high handed notion of "scholarship".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You continue to repeat the dogma- it's a bad word regardless of context. And you have provided an end date on that of when racism "is no longer a problem".
There are two uses for the word. One is bad. The other is an attempt by the target to change/lessen the original meaning.

I agree with that. I'm not sure who wouldn't. But, and Professor Loury addresses this in his podcast that I linked above, should it be a word that is simply stricken from use by white people in, for example, an academic discussion wherein reference to the word is unavoidable?

I finally got to listen to that podcast. They should be embarrassed. Intellectual sophistry on display

Why do you say that? Are their opinions not valid?

McWhorter on one hand talks about his experience on some insignificant radio interview 22 years ago, and how the word was ok then and how it's controlling proof of the standard(which is bs), but then he's all over the place as to the (his completely defensible)taboo of whites using the word but accuses some (like me here) from being fraudulently pious. Then wonder why their "scholarship" often gets rejected (for being circular, if not non-sensical) imo

And to cite the interpretation/discussion of the former dean of Chicago Law is comical. It's also the school of Law & Sex/Economics. They've historically tried to justify anything under a silly high handed notion of "scholarship".

Well, this isn't exactly science. We're talking about feelings here to a large degree.

I'll give you an example. My wife worked with a white woman who managed a different department than the one my wife was in. One of the employees who reported to this white woman was a black woman. One day the black woman used a gay slur. I don't think it was malicious. I don't remember the exact context, but she used the word, queer or sissy or whatever it was. The manager took her into her office and told her she just shouldn't use that word. Then she made her big mistake. She told the woman, "That would be like if I said n_________." All hell broke loose. And the woman ended up getting fired.

Doesn't that seem pretty silly to you? It would have been okay of she hadn't actually uttered the word and said "The n-word" instead?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
"scholarship and understanding"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You really have no answer other. You've been completely disrespectful and unwilling to say anything deeper than: than shut up because you are white. If that's they way this has to be then fine. Not worth discussing further.

I will repeat the :lol: at you saying that John McWhorter, an associate professor at Columbia University is lacking as a scholar because he does not agree with you. Yeah his "scholarship" must be lacking.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:07 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
"scholarship and understanding"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You really have no answer other. You've been completely disrespectful and unwilling to say anything deeper than: than shut up because you are white. If that's they way this has to be then fine. Not worth discussing further.

I will repeat the :lol: at you saying that John McWhorter, an associate professor at Columbia University is lacking as a scholar because he does not agree with you. Yeah his "scholarship" must be lacking.

As to McWhorter, his assertions are largely based on a ridiculously false premise that is laughable in his reaching. Richard Pryor talked about that wrongheaded assertion on television in 75-76, but his limited experience and one flawed claim provide the basis for his "scholarship "

Next, for you to belabor this claim of disrespectfulness is completely asinine. Your high handed racial screed and facile claim of scholarly inquiry has been openly insulting to many, but now you snowflake up behind your keyboard.

And JORR, it's just as silly as the manager was.

I'm done

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:18 pm 

You are the one who can't discuss a word without offense, yet I have "snowflaked-up". And the scholarly Richard Pryor surely has a superior academic background than McWhorter.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Score cafe
It's simple. Goff thinks Drinky is a dumbass cracka. Why is he allowed to use that word. Cuz cracka is not an insult. And it doesn't have an evil history. The other word does. And you don't use insults. Especially racially charged ones. Even Drinky knows that. Actually it's more likely he doesn't. Cuz he's a dumbass.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:30 pm 

You are the one who can't discuss a word without offense, yet I have "snowflaked-up". And the scholarly Richard Pryor surely has a superior academic background than McWhorter.

Six pages of your racist scholarship attempts are more than enough to stomach. I'm going to just say that after this I believe you to be a racist asswipe and I will own you feeling how you feel.

As for McWhorter, if you listened to the podcast you would have known that his "scholarly" position was largely based on his claim that in the 90s it was ok for the word to be freely broadcast by all without much note. I cited Pryor to illustrate that it's been much more of an issue for decades than the poor memory he had.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:39 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

Six pages of your racist scholarship attempts are more than enough to stomach. I'm going to just say that after this I believe you to be a racist asswipe and I will own you feeling how you feel.

As for McWhorter, if you listened to the podcast you would have known that his "scholarly" position was largely based on his claim that in the 90s it was ok for the word to be freely broadcast by all without much note. I cited Pryor to illustrate that it's been much more of an issue for decades than the poor memory he had.

And you have proven my point. Unless I completely agree with you, you feel free to call me names, and to project your views on my thoughts. So introspective.

McWhorter is a professor at Columbia University. His view and accomplishments extend past this issue, but because he disagrees with you feel the need to dismiss him. And it was hardly his point during the podcast that was an exploration on how we got to this point and a personal example that he related. He used an argument that I have- this is dogma a fact free zone.

I await your list of every word I am no longer allowed to say. And to be safe let's create a list of every word we should also not listen to.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:

Well, I'm sure there are guys here who would say both women should have been fired. But I would argue otherwise. I don't always assume bad intent when it seems clear none is intended. And I think that was one of the points McWhorter was trying to make.

Also, although both those guys are scholars, I don't consider what they were doing on that podcast a scholarly discussion. It was more akin to what we do here. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:50 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Well, I'm sure there are guys here who would say both women should have been fired. But I would argue otherwise. I don't always assume bad intent when it seems clear none is intended. And I think that was one of the points McWhorter was trying to make.

Also, although both those guys are scholars, I don't consider what they were doing on that podcast a scholarly discussion. It was more akin to what we do here. :lol:

To your first point, I agree with you if you believe that a higher up should have sent them both out to cool off (unless they were already both problems) but not fire either of them.

As to your second, yesterday I pointed out that I liked McWhorter's work that I'd seen. I certainly didn't think that this podcast was scholarly, but that it was poorly reasoned in parts. I'll probably continue to listen to his pieces despite my thoughts on that one

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Maybe Sox/Cubs trolling isn't the worst thing done on this bored after all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:07 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Maybe Sox/Cubs trolling isn't the worst thing done on this bored after all.

TALK MORE BASEBALL!!! STOP TALKING ABOUT BASEBALL!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Well, this isn't exactly science. We're talking about feelings here to a large degree.

I'll give you an example. My wife worked with a white woman who managed a different department than the one my wife was in. One of the employees who reported to this white woman was a black woman. One day the black woman used a gay slur. I don't think it was malicious. I don't remember the exact context, but she used the word, queer or sissy or whatever it was. The manager took her into her office and told her she just shouldn't use that word. Then she made her big mistake. She told the woman, "That would be like if I said n_________." All hell broke loose. And the woman ended up getting fired.

Doesn't that seem pretty silly to you? It would have been okay of she hadn't actually uttered the word and said "The n-word" instead?

That would make a good journal question. Copied and . . . pasted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:24 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
It's funny who gets so hot and bothered over the "right" to use language that makes them look like a complete ignoramus and asshole.

That's the thing about arguing over things like freedom of speech and appropriateness, etc.: The freedom-to-say-anything crowd has strange bedfellows and often comes off really poorly. (The other side often does, too.) Interestingly, some of those strange bedfellows go nuts when you say "goddamn" or "shit."

As a teacher, I've been nailed on curse words (even when they were in the text). As a teacher, I would sometimes read aloud the N-word if it was in the text I was reading aloud, but eventually I moved away from it and just said "N.". It sounded strange to read Faulkner aloud when doing this ("Dilsey is an N"), but people react differently to it. You insult a student, you've lost her or him forever. More importantly, you don't want to insult or anger a student.

In comedy, the context may be different.

Not if you have dark memories of being called it in an area where you really can't defend yourself. It's still funny to hear old tapes of Pryor, Chris Rock and even many of the raunchy long ago types like Redd Foxx, but those guys were better writers/craftsmen and clearly the word carried weight with them. Imo it's fairly rare to hear newer comics using the word with a grasp of it's meaning and effect to at least some of us dying off old bastards.

Redd Foxx used the word on an episode of Sanford and SOn. I don't know if there was national outrage but I inferred that there wasn't because it was still being shown during reruns of the show in the 80's.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:38 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
It's funny who gets so hot and bothered over the "right" to use language that makes them look like a complete ignoramus and asshole.

That's the thing about arguing over things like freedom of speech and appropriateness, etc.: The freedom-to-say-anything crowd has strange bedfellows and often comes off really poorly. (The other side often does, too.) Interestingly, some of those strange bedfellows go nuts when you say "goddamn" or "shit."

As a teacher, I've been nailed on curse words (even when they were in the text). As a teacher, I would sometimes read aloud the N-word if it was in the text I was reading aloud, but eventually I moved away from it and just said "N.". It sounded strange to read Faulkner aloud when doing this ("Dilsey is an N"), but people react differently to it. You insult a student, you've lost her or him forever. More importantly, you don't want to insult or anger a student.

Not if you have dark memories of being called it in an area where you really can't defend yourself. It's still funny to hear old tapes of Pryor, Chris Rock and even many of the raunchy long ago types like Redd Foxx, but those guys were better writers/craftsmen and clearly the word carried weight with them. Imo it's fairly rare to hear newer comics using the word with a grasp of it's meaning and effect to at least some of us dying off old bastards.

Redd Foxx used the word on an episode of Sanford and SOn. I don't know if there was national outrage but I inferred that there wasn't because it was still being shown during reruns of the show in the 80's.

This reminds me of the Richard Pryor-Chevy Chase skit from SNL....can't find it...I think I saw it on syndication in the late 70s....I wonder if they would still show it today, were the show still in syndication?

Anyway, the two were calling each other racial epithets, and finally Pryor's character calls Chase's character a honkie. Chase's character responds with the N-word. Pryor then says, "DEAD honkie!" As a nine year-old, I remember wondering why one word (the N-word) was worse than honkie. Eventually, I figured that one out, but it is interesting to me that I had that reaction (as a nine year-old). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhlpwBJ2NLs

The skit plays on other stereotypes, too, that would make it hard to air today (if there was a market for it).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:40 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

This reminds me of the Richard Pryor-Chevy Chase skit from SNL....can't find it...I think I saw it on syndication in the late 70s....I wonder if they would still show it today, were the show still in syndication?

Anyway, the two were calling each other racial epithets, and finally Pryor's character calls Chase's character a honkie. Chase's character responds with the N-word. Pryor then says, "DEAD honkie!" As a nine year-old, I remember wondering why one word (the N-word) was worse than honkie. Eventually, I figured that one out, but it is interesting to me that I had that reaction (as a nine year-old). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhlpwBJ2NLs

The skit plays on other stereotypes, too, that would make it hard to air today (if there was a market for it).

This is the scene I've been referencing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:44 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

This is the scene I've been referencing

Oh shit. Things go over my head all the time. (ETA: and that's not me being sarcastic)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

To your first point, I agree with you if you believe that a higher up should have sent them both out to cool off (unless they were already both problems) but not fire either of them.

As to your second, yesterday I pointed out that I liked McWhorter's work that I'd seen. I certainly didn't think that this podcast was scholarly, but that it was poorly reasoned in parts. I'll probably continue to listen to his pieces despite my thoughts on that one

I should probably post this in the Favorite Podcasts section, but I love McWhorter's Lexicon Valley podcast. If this topic isn't already controversial enough, here McWhorter is talking about Da Jews. :lol:

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/ ... style.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I remember the scene from The Wanderers where everyone is using slurs at each other.

I think it's gone from YouTube now. No way they'd show that movie on tv anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The most recent use of it in a large scale movie is Full Metal Jacket.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:47 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I should probably post this in the Favorite Podcasts section, but I love McWhorter's Lexicon Valley podcast. If this topic isn't already controversial enough, here McWhorter is talking about Da Jews. :lol:

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/ ... style.html

that wasn't really controversial, though. good listen nonetheless.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:47 pm 

pittmike wrote:

tarantino

"mrs. toronto?"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I should have said that I recalled.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
pittmike wrote:

Or just about every Tarantino movie.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6