It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Black Panther
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
hnd wrote:
my brother read it as a veiled "i'd like to not have to go to the movies when there are lots of black people there, when do you think it would be safe for me to go as a white woman?"

Maybe she wants to go see the movie when she will be able to hear what the characters are saying on screen?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Franky T wrote:
hnd wrote:
my brother read it as a veiled "i'd like to not have to go to the movies when there are lots of black people there, when do you think it would be safe for me to go as a white woman?"

Maybe she wants to go see the movie when she will be able to hear what the characters are saying on screen?

i totally wussed out on that joke but was thinking it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:52 pm 

I still haven't seen Schindler's List

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IMU wrote:
They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel of superheroes? I've never heard of this one. I had never heard of Jessica Jones or Luke Cage either. How many super heroes are left? I'm ready for the fad to be over.

Luke Cage was awesome. Hero for Hire. Does he have a movie? I don't know anything about Jessica Jones. Is she a mutant?

If you think Wonder Woman was awesome, just wait until Capt Marvel comes out gonna blow the roof off. Cue then you can finally have Rouge be the bad ass she was meant to be

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, but come on...

If you don't give Black Panther a positive review you're on the wrong side of history.

https://mashable.com/2018/02/08/black-p ... o.aY6jBkqW

mashable wrote:
Critical reviews are always subjective opinions. So in general, you can't really say a reviewer got it objectively "wrong."

Unless, that is, you're referring to the first negative review of Black Panther, courtesy of the Irish Independent's Ed Power. Because even a staunch defender of every critic's right to their own opinion, taste, and perspective will find it hard to justify what Power takes issue with.

In essence, Power appears distraught by the film's ambitions as a superhero movie to elevate meaningful themes, wishing instead Marvel had done its first African superhero justice by sticking to the usual, rote Marvel movie formula.

He does give the film's main action sequence (seen in many of the Black Panther trailers) ample praise:

A neon-splashed early chase sequence in Korea is in the tradition of Marvel's best action scenes – as with justly praised airport slug-out in Civil War it goes on forever and is confidently marshalled by director Ryan Coogler in his first excursion into popcorn filmmaking.

But he follows that up by reducing the film's climax:

But from here Black Panther spirals into a stodgy tale of internecine feuding, in which T’Challa is required to come to terms with the sins of past generations.

What he doesn't get to do much of is jump around beating-up bad guys. That’s a shame. Marvel has finally given us an African superhero. The hope surely was that he would be allowed do superhoeroic things.

That "stodgy tale of internecine feuding" that revolves around Wakanda's reckoning with the "sins of past generations" refers to the final sequences that left other critics in tears. You could argue these sequences raise the typically vacuous third act superhero battle to new heights, with stakes and consequences that actually carry the weight of issues facing our real world.

Not for Power, though.

Earlier in the review, he also complains that the movie is "expected to stand for something bigger than itself," as if some Marvel executives forced director Ryan Coogler to use this historic milestone for black culture as a platform to explore black experiences. Power goes as far as to say this results in Chadwick Boseman's performance as T’Challa feeling "strained."

According to Power, a white man in Ireland who assumes the authority to wave away the film's representation of racial realities in America:

In the context of the place United States finds itself today, and where it has come from, Boseman knows he can’t wise-crack his way through the film in the fashion of, for example, Robert Downey Jr’s Tony Stark, and the responsibility to be at all times sincere weighs on him.

God, can't all our superheroes be glib, substance-less playboys with no ideals!? Urgh sincerity is sooo overrated.

Funnily enough, Boseman can very much be seen bringing levity and humor to the serious subject matter of the movie, making it more of a celebration of African heritage rather than the solemn experience described by Power. The opening scene is riddled with jokes (that might've gone over Power's head), and Boseman's comedic timing had this reporter's theater roaring with laughter.

And, god, if the critique is that T'Challa is too perfect and without flaws, I'd love to hear Power critique the perfect and faultess Captain America.

Curiously, while nearly every other outlet showered the almost all-black cast with praise, Power instead chose to only award praise to one performance: Andy Serkis as Ulysses Klaue, one of the only two white actors in the film with comparatively minor roles, but which Power claims exudes, "a gleeful hamminess the movie could do with more of."

You know, it's entirely possible that the humor and story of Black Panther — which, for the first time ever, set out to speak to and authentically represent black culture — is not made for Power. That's fine if he doesn't get it. But the reviewer doesn't seem even a little aware of that possibility, instead blaming the movie for not catering to him or the status quo of the white-led Marvel movies before it.

Black Panther is a complex, multi-layered story told through the vehicle of a blockbuster movie franchise. There are, without a doubt, plenty of lively discussions to be had about what the film does well, and what it doesn't.

But you know what really, really shouldn't be one of those debates? Whether or not we should even consider Black Panther a hero because, like, he didn't even punch that many dudes.

We're pretty confident we'll be on the right side of history here when we say: Nope. You are incorrect, sir.

Be sure to read Mashable's review of Black Panther for a different perspective.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Always searching out the anti-sjw angle, huh Tad?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I'm a big believer that if you actively look for reasons to be upset you will find MANY.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:22 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Ed Power.]

His work was a staple for relaxation during the stressful times of school in my early 20s. It was so simple yet so brilliant.

You kids have it so simple today. Flip on the computer and the world is at your fingertips with relative privacy and anonymity assured. Back in my day we had to find a mom and pop (preferably immigrant owned) video store in another neighborhood and get to the place at a low traffic time in order to avoid being seen slipping behind the movie section behind the curtain. Once behind the curtain you had to avoid making eye contact with any of the creature cantina of sweatpants clad characters and pick you flick. This lead to the highlight of the trip, telling the clerk the number of the movie you wanted and praying it wasn't repeated out loud for the store to hear. Old Korean women seemed to be the least judgmental clerks.

The whole thing was a perilous journey comparable to Indiana Jones retrieving the golden statue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Ed Power.]

Ed Anger wrote some good columns.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I've read a couple reviews that complained about "not enough action". It makes me more interested in seeing it. Could they really have made an intended blockbuster thst wasn't geared to littlebrains who like to watch shit blow up?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Jbi11s wrote:
Always searching out the anti-sjw angle, huh Tad?

When something gets such incredibly over-the-top praise, it makes me a little skeptical.

Nas wrote:
I'm a big believer that if you actively look for reasons to be upset you will find MANY.

I often read about movies on my phone so move-related items, as the one I posted, are frequently in my Google newsfeed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:52 am 

Nas wrote:

Yup.

Outrage is a drug, and people want it constantly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Douchebag wrote:
Nas wrote:

Yup.

Outrage is a drug, and people want it constantly.

http://www.chicagofanatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=156&t=99632

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
If Eddie Murphy played every character, this would just be Coming to America 2.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: The Metra
This is gonna be great.

Spark, we goin' after work?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
The Original Di Cairo wrote:
This is gonna be great.

Am I not included, Kid?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
spmack wrote:
The Original Di Cairo wrote:
This is gonna be great.

Am I not included, Kid?

Too white

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:13 pm 

There is zero doubt that this movie will be just as stupid as every other dumbfuck superhero of the last 10 years. Bravo Disney for using racial strife as a marketing tool though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
America wrote:
There is zero doubt that this movie will be just as stupid as every other dumbfuck superhero of the last 10 years. Bravo Disney for using racial strife as a marketing tool though.

Would agree except for Captain America, Winter Soldier. The movie was right about the government being the bad guys.

The elevator scene was good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:21 pm 

Yea the evil American government that defeated fascism (very bad) and communism (even worse) within 50 years of each other. I'm sure Captain America : Winter Soldier gave a real nuanced intelligent synopsis of why the United States behaved the way it did.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:21 pm 

Yea the evil American government that defeated fascism (very bad) and communism (even worse) within 50 years of each other. I'm sure Captain America : Winter Soldier gave a real nuanced intelligent synopsis of why the United States behaved the way it did.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
America wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Please enlighten me how you would go about marketing this movie.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Jbi11s wrote:
America wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Please enlighten me how you would go about marketing this movie.

Subliminal Advertising.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
So, is this a) It doesn't fit my ideology, so I'll hold information back, or b) I'm just a lame white guy?

"Black Panther is, culturally and commercially, the right film at the right time. The significance of bringing a black superhero to the screen at this moment cannot be overstated. Any reservations I have will, and possibly should, fall by the wayside." -Leonard Maltin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
tommy wrote:
So, is this a) It doesn't fit my ideology, so I'll hold information back, or b) I'm just a lame white guy?

"Black Panther is, culturally and commercially, the right film at the right time. The significance of bringing a black superhero to the screen at this moment cannot be overstated. Any reservations I have will, and possibly should, fall by the wayside." -Leonard Maltin

This is further proof that most film critics, especially the well known ones, are pandering idiots.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I've read a couple reviews that complained about "not enough action". It makes me more interested in seeing it. Could they really have made an intended blockbuster thst wasn't geared to littlebrains who like to watch shit blow up?

I don't know what the fuck movie they were watching, but I thought it had plenty of action. @ least 30 vehicles were destroyed & it's only a February release.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
To those that have seen it, is it appropriate for an 11 year old white girl?
I'm asking about my daughter, not trying to help bigPOPPapump find a date, so don't go there grilfren...
:bom:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:13 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
shirtless driver wrote:
To those that have seen it, is it appropriate for an 11 year old white girl?
I'm asking about my daughter, not trying to help bigPOPPapump find a date, so don't go there grilfren...
:bom:

50 shades freed might be a better fit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next