It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:27 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seriously though you are missing out if you aren't going to plays and musicals. Chicago has a lot of them now too for everyone who is afraid of New York.

Now?

Chicago has had one of the best and strongest stage performance industries in the world for my entire life. Theaters like Steppenwolf have fostered so much talent and so many award winning shows that referring to them is almost cliché (and they still do great work). You could go to an out of the loop theater just about every night in this city and see an amazing show for $15. It's almost at the point where a movie is more expensive than a play and the quality in most cases is not comparable. I'm shocked that people will throw down $12+ for a crap movie but never think of going to the live theater.

Broadway in Chicago is like the Wrigley Field of the play industry, bringing in the buses from Iowa.
Hey look, a theater hipster.

I am pretty hip

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:28 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
doug - evergreen park wrote:
Go see Hamilton.

Hamilton is for shitlibs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I don't know what that is, but the show was excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:47 am 

in agreement with doug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:54 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Most people go see Hamilton only so they can tell other people to "Go see Hamilton."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:15 am 
1000 CLUB

I got free tickets.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Bring back TMLMTBGB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:01 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Most people go see Hamilton only so they can tell other people to "Go see Hamilton."

I was prepared not to like it but I liked it very much

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

by the 2nd song, it becomes quite clear that the hype was valid.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
doug - evergreen park wrote:
by the 2nd song, it becomes quite clear that the hype was valid.

Hamilton was great, and I'm pretty far to the right on most things.

My problem with live theater in Chicago (the big shows, like Hamilton, Aladdin, Les Mis, etc.) is that it is extremely expensive to attend. I have 3 kids (first two were girls, so that gives me some sort of special dispensation in the "too many kids" thread), and recently went to Aladdin to celebrate Mothers day. Tickets were over $500 with fees for 5 of us, in the balcony. Add in $35 for parking (thanks Rahm--mostly taxes), and Pequods for pizza, and it was probably a $700 family event!

For $700, we could have done a great water park in the Dells for a weekend. Less cultured (lots of dicaro-sized women with "packers" tattoos wearing tankinis), but lots of fun and certainly fewer dollars per hour.

Hamilton with just my wife was over $400 for the two of us, plus parking and dinner.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Gayest thread ever

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
KDdidit wrote:
Bring back TMLMTBGB

They are kind of still doing it. It's just not called that anymore. One of the founders of the Neo-Futurists owned the rights to the name, or a publication of the first 30 plays using the name, and he parted ways with the theater last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Telegram Sam wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
Bring back TMLMTBGB

They are kind of still doing it. It's just not called that anymore. One of the founders of the Neo-Futurists owned the rights to the name, or a publication of the first 30 plays using the name, and he parted ways with the theater last year.

Dude's on Nick D's show on WGN all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
KDdidit wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
Bring back TMLMTBGB

Dude's on Nick D's show on WGN all the time.

I'm sorry to hear that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Heisenberg wrote:
Tickets were over $500 with fees for 5 of us, in the balcony. Add in $35 for parking (thanks Rahm--mostly taxes), and Pequods for pizza, and it was probably a $700 family event!

I hear you there... we have three kids as well and would try to do a big Chicago play in early December and stop over at the Christkindl market and eat out somewhere, but it was running in that same margin you are quoting. Three years ago, we were really late in booking anything and basically couldn't find a play, but I did find Fox in a Box Chicago which is a pretty well run "escape the room" type place. The kids loved it much more than a play, and the fee for five people was like $30 a head. Now they love doing it so much more than going to a "boring" Les Mis play and we can hit up a nicer restaurant for dinner.

That being said, I do like live theater -- took the wife to Times Square for her birthday weekend and saw a couple of Broadway shows (Wicked and American in Paris) and they were awesome. A lot more reasonable with two people than five though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:25 am 

newper wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Tickets were over $500 with fees for 5 of us, in the balcony. Add in $35 for parking (thanks Rahm--mostly taxes), and Pequods for pizza, and it was probably a $700 family event!

I hear you there... we have three kids as well and would try to do a big Chicago play in early December and stop over at the Christkindl market and eat out somewhere, but it was running in that same margin you are quoting. Three years ago, we were really late in booking anything and basically couldn't find a play, but I did find Fox in a Box Chicago which is a pretty well run "escape the room" type place. The kids loved it much more than a play, and the fee for five people was like $30 a head. Now they love doing it so much more than going to a "boring" Les Mis play and we can hit up a nicer restaurant for dinner.

That being said, I do like live theater -- took the wife to Times Square for her birthday weekend and saw a couple of Broadway shows (Wicked and American in Paris) and they were awesome. A lot more reasonable with two people than five though.

I think it is important for children to see live theater.

If you are looking for a cheap ticket in the Christmas season, buy A Christmas Carol during the Thanksgiving weekend. Tickets are bigly reduced and it is a nice opening to the season. It is steps away from Christkindle. You have to buy them early, almost as soon as sales open.