It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Larry Sanders Show
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 pm 

Im discussion for Top 5 all time tv show

Rewatching it. Always was a fan but watching it now makes it evident how groundbreaking and impactful it was.

Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, and half the shows on HBO since are derivative of TLSS

Hank Kingsley and Artie might be the two best characters on the same show ever. Both could argue for top 25 all time.

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Entourage is on the short list of worst popular tv shows of all time. How dare you group it with Curb.

And you knew the top 5 comment was outrageous while typing it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Larry Samders is funny.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Tried to rewatch Larry Sanders not long ago. Wasn't as funny as I remember... You are right on Artie though

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
rogers park bryan wrote:

Rewatching it. Always was a fan but watching it now makes it evident how groundbreaking and impactful it was.

Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, and half the shows on HBO since are derivative of TLSS

Hank Kingsley and Artie might be the two best characters on the same show ever. Both could argue for top 25 all time.

Where are you watching it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
What channel is this Larry Samders on? Sounds like a great show.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
The first few seasons were marred by Hank's assistant (and Garry Shandling's girlfriend at the time). She was a terrible character/actor.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:46 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
She had a couple moments, like the episode where Hank gets her to pose for Playboy so he can see her tits and promote his restaurant (it was Hank, it had to be both), but for the most part, among all the talent on that show, yeah, she stood out as not belonging. Same as how Mary-Lynn Rajskub, erstwhile girlfriend of David Cross, was such a fart in church on Mr. Show.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
She had a couple moments, like the episode where Hank gets her to pose for Playboy so he can see her tits and promote his restaurant (it was Hank, it had to be both), but for the most part, among all the talent on that show, yeah, she stood out as not belonging. Same as how Mary-Lynn Rajskub, erstwhile girlfriend of David Cross, was such a fart in church on Mr. Show.

But a fart in church is funny. Unless of course it's from one of the altar boys. Then their vestments get all hot and a sticky and people start asking questions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:05 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Entourage is on the short list of worst popular tv shows of all time. How dare you group it with Curb.

I just mean its fingerprints are all over those shows. Of course Entourage is nowhere near Curb.

Watching on HBO On Demand

Im a sucker for Jewish comedians. After this voewimg it may be in my top 5. Top 10 for sure

But like I said if youre ranking tv characters youd be hard pressed to find two on any show as high as Artie and Hank.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I just mean its fingerprints are all over those shows. Of course Entourage is nowhere near Curb.

Im a sucker for Jewish comedians. After this voewimg it may be in my top 5. Top 10 for sure

But like I said if youre ranking tv characters youd be hard pressed to find two on any show as high as Artie and Hank.

Raylan and Boyd are the gold standard

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:09 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
The first few seasons were marred by Hank's assistant (and Garry Shandling's girlfriend at the time). She was a terrible character/actor.

Disagree that it affected show. She was a weak link but the character inspired great comedy from others

Like when Larry fucks her and Hank says how would you like it if I dated Beverly and got this gem off...

Well I'm not into interracial dating, it never works - sex is good but in the morning the cultural differences start to raise their ugly heads.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:11 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Raylan and Boyd are the gold standard

Never seen it

Omar/Stringer would be my pick outside Hank/Artie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:36 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
rogers park bryan wrote:

Ricky Gervais also cites Larrry Shanders/Shandling's work as inspiring the OG UK Office and Extras. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrg89rvtZ1k

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:45 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Furious Styles wrote:

Linda Doucett. She sued Shandling and Brad Grey after they booted her from the show and Shandling broke up with her. Doucett rec'd a cool mil in 1994 as walking paper from Shandling.

Brad Grey and Shandling would have a falling out a few years later, that pretty much ended Shandling's career, unfortunately.

http://deadline.com/2008/03/garry-shand ... rial-5154/

Quote:
In the beginning, Shandling and Grey seemed buoyed and absorbed by each other’s promise. They were introduced by Grey’s first client, Bob Saget, in 1979, at the Westwood Comedy Store. Shandling, a former writer for “Sanford and Son,” signed with Grey, and he introduced him to other promising young comedians, including Dennis Miller and Dana Carvey. In 1983, Grey met his future partner, Bernie Brillstein, after a Shandling gig in San Francisco. Brillstein, the manager of such clients as Jim Henson and Lorne Michaels, liked Grey but didn’t take to Shandling. “I thought Garry was a road-company David Brenner,” says Brillstein, who is now sixty-six and a genial, white-bearded presence. “But Brad said, ‘No, you’ll see—he’s a genius.’ ”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1998/ ... -year-itch

Quote:
Brad Grey said, “O.K., prepare yourself.” He pulled out a photograph of himself with Garry Shandling, backstage after a standup-comedy show in the early eighties. Shandling wore a brown leather jacket with a fuzzy black collar, a look that was mildly unfortunate, but Grey sported a white-mesh “Eddie Rabbitt” cap, hair that screamed REO Speedwagon, and forty extra pounds. We were sitting in his office, on Wilshire Boulevard.

“Now, this is the one I’ve been thinking about,” he said, sliding across the desk an eight-by-ten from 1984: Shandling, his arm around Grey, was slim and handsome in a well-cut jacket. He looked like a star. But Grey was still pudgy and unfocussed—someone’s awkward kid brother. “And,” he said, pausing as he overlaid that photograph with a small shot of the forty-eight-year-old Shandling in a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly. Grey, who is forty, pivoted in his chair in the middle of his large, surpassingly clean office and carefully propped his black shoes on a sofa. He waited as I noticed that Shandling looked wan, worn out.

With just a few images, Grey had introduced the idea that he and Shandling had switched roles over the years—that the acolyte had become the mentor. Having asked to see the photographs, I now pushed Grey to interpret them. He said, “Well, I was overweight and very unattractive, just a kid. He has a sparkle in his eye, and you can see that he’s in charge—I’ve since thought he hired me because he knew he’d be in control. But I think I have the sparkle now, and he looks like a troubled soul.”

Grey told me a story that introduced the idea of envy. Last fall, shortly before he dropped Shandling as a client—and while Shandling’s lawyer was inspecting Brillstein-Grey’s files—Grey says, Shandling showed up at the house that Grey was building in Pacific Palisades. Shandling told the construction foreman that he was a friend, and just sat for a while gazing at the Prairie-style shingled mansion. Shandling’s home, in Brentwood, is legendary in Hollywood as a source of expense and dissatisfaction to him, and Grey says that it was “unsettling” to hear about Shandling eying his house. “I guess he might have been jealous of me, of my . . . happiness. He’s alone in a house that he hates, pretending to be happy, with no love in his life.” Through his lawyer, Shandling says that Grey had invited him to drop by and that he later told Grey the house was “beautiful.”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:41 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Disagree that it affected show. She was a weak link but the character inspired great comedy from others.

:lol: Okay, that's a huge exaggeration. She had a rocking body and the shows succeeded despite her terrible acting. Much improved w/Scott Thompson.

-Hank Kingsley