It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Breaking Bad thoughts
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I'm sure most of us have seen the series by now(except for W_Z, who is by far the most qualified film/tv critic on the board but won't watch it because of his hipster bonafides)

Anyway, I've been rewatching it recently and figured I'd start a rolling thread on miscellaneous thoughts from the show.

First biggest question: How is Aaron Paul not a bonafide A+ list actor by now? Cranston gives the performance of his life in this series and Paul steals nearly every scene they are in.

Thought number 2: Skyler is much less detestable than I remember.

Thought number 3: Absolutely nothing can touch "Ozymandias" as the best episode of television in the history of the medium. It's the Jordan of serialized TV dramas.

Thought number 4: "I am the one who knocks" is a pretty great scene and the most memorable but "If that's true, if you really don't know who it is you are talking to, tread lightly" speech is way better.

I'll be back with more I'm sure

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:54 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I said this before but I absolutely love almost every single non-recurring supporting cast member. From Tuco to Skinny Pete to the legendary guys like Gus and Mike - the show is an embarrassment of riches when it comes to well-done characters.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

Last edited by veganfan21 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:07 am 

Skinny Pete, ya judgmental dick.

I agree for the most part. It's second only to The Wire in terms of building a fictional universe.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:20 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Skinny Pete, ya judgmental dick.

I agree for the most part. It's second only to The Wire in terms of building a fictional universe.

Autocorrect, bitch.

It was also consistently good at dark humor, which I guess is the only kind of humor you can have when most lead characters are anti heros. I also liked how most story lines were realistic (if memory serves me well). They didn't use stupid plot devices like a ticking time bomb to justify action for the sake of action. Everything seemed well thought out.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:26 am 

I'm not sure how realistic it is, though I've heard that said numerous times. Like obviously compared to GoT it's very realistic, just not sure if you're stacking it up against similar shows like The Shield and The Wire.

Agree on the dark humor. It basically makes the entire show GOAT-worthy, again similiar to The Wire. Without the humor it would be unbelievably bleak, and it is a damn funny show(unlike The Wire).

There are some things that don't sit right with me, but they are easy enough to get over. The only one that sticks out like a sore thumb is the fact that Mike, careful, methodical, Mike, would absolutely never trust Walt to bring him his Get Away Bag. Zero chance. Without thinking too much about it I'd say that's probably the most unrealistic part of the show.

Anyway, 2nd to The Wire as the best TV show of all time. Not bad.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:45 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I just rewatched Season 5 again this week for about the fifth time.

Mike never saw Walt as a threat. Even through that final great scene of him sneering "YOU, you just had to be the man!"

To the final end where he's telling Walt to shut up so he can die in peace.

I thought it was slightly more unbelievable that he would leave his granddaughter and run.

I love this show.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I just rewatched Season 5 again this week for about the fifth time.

Mike never saw Walt as a threat. Even through that final great scene of him sneering "YOU, you just had to be the man!"

To the final end where he's telling Walt to shut up so he can die in peace.

I thought it was slightly more unbelievable that he would leave his granddaughter and run.

I love this show.

I don't think Mike ever saw himself as the "family man". I think he saw him self as the bad guy and because of that, needed to do something good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I agree on thought #2, FF. Hated her the first go around but understood where she was coming from better on the second go around.

"Say, just for the sake of argument, that the kid's not in the mood for a nuanced discussion of the virtues of child poisoning." is my favorite line in the series.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:39 am 

oh come on, i'm gonna watch it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I haven't seen an episode either. Didn't have a dish when it came out and haven't managed to catch up with it. One of these days.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:46 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Hockey Gay wrote:
I agree on thought #2, FF. Hated her the first go around but understood where she was coming from better on the second go around.

"Say, just for the sake of argument, that the kid's not in the mood for a nuanced discussion of the virtues of child poisoning." is my favorite line in the series.

I love that line also.

Also, talking about Aaron Paul, his scene with Hank And Gomey about "your plan is to do his plan?" is awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Great thread, FF. I said the same thing about Ozymandias. Just scene after scene of having your guts ripped out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
redskingreg wrote:
Great thread, FF. I said the same thing about Ozymandias. Just scene after scene of having your guts ripped out.

Yeah good thread. Im surprised there wasnt already a thread about breaking bad that was about our thoughts on it and in chronological order and all that. Weird.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
FavreFan wrote:
First biggest question: How is Aaron Paul not a bonafide A+ list actor by now? Cranston gives the performance of his life in this series and Paul steals nearly every scene they are in.

he's been busy.....................BITCH!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:26 am 

Darkside wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

Yeah good thread. Im surprised there wasnt already a thread about breaking bad that was about our thoughts on it and in chronological order and all that. Weird.

at least it's not another bulls thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Darkside wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

You're asking for a shovel to the side of the head, pal.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:22 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Yeah but not seeing him as a threat seemed out of character. Mike was the one who rightfully said Walt was a ticking time bomb.

Walt's confession video might have been the best piece of writing on the entire show. Still floors you even on a rewatch

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Great show.

The slow progression of Walt from a "good guy" to "evil," ever so slowly, obviously fascinates me. Even at the end, I was still torn whether to root for him or not. Similar to The Godfather, where you're rooting for the Corleones, although they are mudering thugs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Yeah this is probably my 2nd favorite show ever behind GoT. Cranston's acting is a master class in the art. Every reoccurring actor in this series also helped to make it what it is. The writing, cinematography, and editing were so perfect for a television show.

Would anyone else like to see some sort of epilogue after the last episode?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
The fact that people actually enjoyed this show baffles me. Most overrated show ever.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:53 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
The fact that people actually enjoyed this show baffles me. Most overrated show ever.

Why do you say that? You are the first person I've ever heard express that opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:56 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:

I didn't think I could feel better about my enjoyment of this show.

I was wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:07 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

Why do you say that? You are the first person I've ever heard express that opinion.

Tried watching it on two different occasions and couldnt make it past episode 3. Anyone I've ever discussed the show with says that it finally picks up around episode 7 or 8. My question is if a show is that boring how can a person stick it out hoping it gets better?

Also I did watch about 5 minutes of the finale because I was bored. So the writers are that lazy that they decide to kill everyone by having a machine gun pop out of the trunk and kill all the bad guys. That's what they spent all their time and energy on and came up with?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:10 pm 

It's the only show I've ever watched that got better every season. I think if you would have stuck with it to season 2 you would have been more satisfied.

There's actually a lot that goes into that last episode as far as back story that you missed, but fuck... Idk I guess you kind of ruined it for yourself. No worries.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I watched an episode or two and never got into it, but I'm a bad test study. I have a hard time getting into the series shows. A movie is about all the attention span I have.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:59 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

Tried watching it on two different occasions and couldnt make it past episode 3. Anyone I've ever discussed the show with says that it finally picks up around episode 7 or 8. My question is if a show is that boring how can a person stick it out hoping it gets better?

Also I did watch about 5 minutes of the finale because I was bored. So the writers are that lazy that they decide to kill everyone by having a machine gun pop out of the trunk and kill all the bad guys. That's what they spent all their time and energy on and came up with?

It might be too cerebral for you. Try tuning back to your regularly scheduled choice of a couple mostly nude greased up muscle men rolling around on a floor together for more consistent entertainment.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:01 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:

Ive literally never heard a single person say a bad thing about this show.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:02 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

I stopped during season 2 at some point. Just got bored. It gets a lot better after that and I'm glad I gave it another chance.

Basing it off the very end doesn't make sense. The best stuff already happened.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:12 pm 

I just dont get how a show can be boring the first season basically and people still tune in and then somehow it picks up and was labeled as one of the best shows ever.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:15 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
I just dont get how a show can be boring the first season basically and people still tune in and then somehow it picks up and was labeled as one of the best shows ever.

We know. You've now said this three times.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next