It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:00 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I watched the show last night for the first time in like 2 years. it was good. i read Maher made some stupid remarks recently but last night was decent. Didnt really like Moore though.

Watched Gutfield too last night. It was a good opening :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPm6dQ8Yfz0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
Maher is sort of an enigma. Some of his views are spot-on and contradict modern Leftist orthodoxy in an honest way, and there are certain topics where he calls bullshit well on Conservatives too. And then some of his other ideas make him sound loony. It's like there's no middle ground with him.

I honestly think part of him kind of likes what Trump represents if he was honest with himself, but his previous personal disputes won't allow him to think it. Trump sued him several years back.

This interview with Shapiro was different. Usually when he has a Conservative on, they suck each other off about how much they hate political correctness. Felt like he was purposely trying to be tough on Shapiro. He probably got shit after he basically dry humped Milo on live TV.

After all these years he still does a good show. And it’s because he’s honest. I’ve very adamantly disagreed with him on several things in the past and he has promoted guests with dangerous ideas at times(the Charlie Sheen whacko doctor and GMOs immediately come to mind) but a lot of these issues are complicated as fuck and he’s a comedian/entertainer, not scholar, by nature and I think giving an honest opinion uninfluenced by populist rhetoric is all you can ask in that spot and he gives you that.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
ya he's honest. he calls out the left. i saw a clip of his from last month where he made fun of the left how they win all the social media wars like a bunch of 12 year old girls but can't win things that matter : elections. It was a great commentary.

On the other side, there is nobody as honest imo. everyone is in w/ Trump right now on the right. The ones that aren't are leaving.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
ya he's honest. he calls out the left. i saw a clip of his from last month where he made fun of the left how they win all the social media wars like a bunch of 12 year old girls but can't win things that matter : elections. It was a great commentary.

On the other side, there is nobody as honest imo. everyone is in w/ Trump right now on the right. The ones that aren't are leaving.

I think Shapiro is a pretty shitty person and extremely hypocritical on the civility issue but I believe he’s honest in what he says.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
HawaiiYou wrote:

The myth of the Republican exodus combined with the stubborn refusal to acknowledge that people are walking away from the Democrats in droves is breeding a level of complacency on the left that is rapidly approaching October 2016 levels.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:35 pm 

America wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

The myth of the Republican exodus combined with the stubborn refusal to acknowledge that people are walking away from the Democrats in droves is breeding a level of complacency on the left that is rapidly approaching October 2016 levels.

You really believe that? Seems to me the left is as motivated as ever. They just aren’t nearly as organized and cohesive as the right and they still have no clue how to appeal to the people who don’t live in big cities on the coasts. IOW they still have no idea how to win national elections.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:51 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
America wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

You really believe that? Seems to me the left is as motivated as ever. They just aren’t nearly as organized and cohesive as the right and they still have no clue how to appeal to the people who don’t live in big cities on the coasts. IOW they still have no idea how to win national elections.

Yes I definitely believe that support for the Democratic Party is fading in all their critical demographics. They have basically been hoping millennials will turn out and overwhelm Trump's aging base, but polling suggests they are leaving the Democrats.

Quote:
"Two years ago, young white people favored Democrats over Republicans for Congress by a margin of 47 to 33 percent," reports Reuters, but "that gap vanished by this year, with 39 percent supporting each party."

2/3rds of millennial voters are white and the Democrats are only becoming more intense in scapegoating and villainizing whites. I'm not pointing this out in a "THE LEFT IS OUT TO GET WHITES" way (though I obviously believe that they are), I'm pointing it out as a poor political move on the part of the people who handle the Democrat's messaging.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
America wrote:
They have basically been hoping millennials will turn out and overwhelm Trump's aging base, but polling suggests they are leaving the Democrats.

I think the Dems are waiting for Generation Z.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:12 pm 

Cashman wrote:
America wrote:
They have basically been hoping millennials will turn out and overwhelm Trump's aging base, but polling suggests they are leaving the Democrats.

I think the Dems are waiting for Generation Z.

"trust us, we'll starting winning elecetions in 2028"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:00 pm 

I just watched the interview. I keep taping Maher's show, but I have not watched it in a couple months. I loved it at one time, but he just keeps having a sounding board, and you heard it with the audience. You literally saw from Maher what the problem is with the Dems. Arguing with emotions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:39 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Arguments should be emotional. People are emotional. This shit ain't debate club.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Curious Hair wrote:
Arguments should be emotional. People are emotional. This shit ain't debate club.

You can argue your points with emotion, but your points shouldn't be based on emotion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:44 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
They can be if they'll persuade people that way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:47 pm 

Hillary Clinton emphatically agrees.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:29 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
They can be if they'll persuade people that way.

And that is the dangerous part. Groupthink mixed in with Groupshift.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:26 pm 

Maher is fine. He isn't nearly as edgy as he used to be. Which is why it's kinda weird he doesn't pull more mainstream guests. I know for a long time people we're afraid to go on his show but anymore it's pretty tame.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:20 am 

IkeSouth wrote:
Maher is fine. He isn't nearly as edgy as he used to be. Which is why it's kinda weird he doesn't pull more mainstream guests. I know for a long time people we're afraid to go on his show but anymore it's pretty tame.

This past season, he started to do the 2 panelists that were just Dems. It just doesn't work. I loved where he had 3 guests and 2 of them were Republicans. I would play a game with my wife, find the crazy Republican.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:04 am 

Cashman wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

This past season, he started to do the 2 panelists that were just Dems. It just doesn't work. I loved where he had 3 guests and 2 of them were Republicans. I would play a game with my wife, find the crazy Republican.

definitely. i think its the political climate though. shit is so polarized those people dont even want to be seen on mahers show. sad really... i dont even think maher is mean to republicans, his stupid audience is way worse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:22 am 

IkeSouth wrote:
Cashman wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

definitely. i think its the political climate though. shit is so polarized those people dont even want to be seen on mahers show. sad really... i dont even think maher is mean to republicans, his stupid audience is way worse.

100% agree with this. I think Maher is ok with the opposite view, but the audience doesn't want to hear it. They wanna boo at it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 am 

Cashman wrote:

100% agree with this. I think Maher is ok with the opposite view, but the audience doesn't want to hear it. They wanna boo at it.

yeah its even weird when maher says really stupid things, they just blindly stay quiet and act like he didnt mean it. like that hope for recession, that was bad. and then the next show he doubled down on it, and they cheered. now, i understand why he doubled down, thats how you win an argument (trump), but the premise is still bad. he claimed we survive recessions... but that's the country. inside those recessions are millions of ruined families and higher suicide rates. i know the last one i lost everything, and i certainly would never wish for that again. there are other ways to deal with trump :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:22 am 

IkeSouth wrote:
Cashman wrote:

yeah its even weird when maher says really stupid things, they just blindly stay quiet and act like he didnt mean it. like that hope for recession, that was bad. and then the next show he doubled down on it, and they cheered. now, i understand why he doubled down, thats how you win an argument (trump), but the premise is still bad. he claimed we survive recessions... but that's the country. inside those recessions are millions of ruined families and higher suicide rates. i know the last one i lost everything, and i certainly would never wish for that again. there are other ways to deal with trump :roll:

Working at a small family owned business, we lost a lot of business from the crash in 07/08. Combine that with those $4 gas prices, it was killing us. I don't think Trump is the answer, but I am tired of the Democrat party. I am still a registered Democrat though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:26 am 

Cashman wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Working at a small family owned business, we lost a lot of business from the crash in 07/08. Combine that with those $4 gas prices, it was killing us. I don't think Trump is the answer, but I am tired of the Democrat party. I am still a registered Democrat though.

nah. republicans caused that crash. that was no doubt. but im tired how the democratic party plays the game. its a discombobulated effort. they need to focus on key issues and stick to their visions. theyre simply getting outplayed by rich assholes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Decent defense of Al Franken tonight.

Jim Carrey wasn't completely obnoxious from what I saw.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Jbi11s wrote:
Jim Carrey wasn't completely obnoxious from what I saw.

Completely normal! Pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:38 pm 

https://youtu.be/tKW3vKpPrlw

Good interview with Jonathon Haidt.

Would be better if Maher would stfu for a minute.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
IkeSouth wrote:
there are other ways to deal with trump :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
leashyourkids wrote:
https://youtu.be/tKW3vKpPrlw

Good interview with Jonathon Haidt.

Would be better if Maher would stfu for a minute.

I've watched some of his talks. I don't always agree but I think he's mostly on the right track. I really like him and think he's interesting. I'd like to see somebody like him in politics.