It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Okay you can do a film fest 2-3 movies each day Sat through Sunday ,Only restriction is no mini series.I love BoB but it is too long.

Sat
Yankee Doodle Dandy-Great movie,every American should see it. Fun and and old Fashioned musical starring James Cagney in his only Oscar winning role ,for choreography no less. Some great old patriotic old songs. Came out at the start of WW2 and shows,but not too heavy handed.

Rio Bravo-One of the Dukes best,Great cast and a great action packed ending. Plus,you get a duet featuring Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson. Martin oddly plays the town drunk.

Capt America,The First Avenger-True Winter Soldier is a little better but coming as this movie did in the timeline of Marvel releases it had a ton of build up and expectations. This movie has everything you could want from a period movie. Great action ,sets and a decent love story,plus Harold Stark.

Sun
Longest Day- When this movie was made,if you where even a Blister in Hollywood ,they found you a part. A decent retelling of Ryans book. Only problem with both the book and movie is the scope, too grand. You get a little bit of the intesity of the ongoing battle but not a great insight into some of the major players.

Saving Private Ryan-Opposite of Longest Day in almost every respect. You see combat from the individuals perspective in a spectacular POV sequence at the start of the film. A lot of veterans of combat rank the opening sequence as the closest to real combat Hollywood has ever gotten.Cast is above par and the outcome is that BoB and the Pacific got made,along with the renewed interest in WW@ and the Spoken Word project.

Glory- One of the best American Civil War movies period. Add to it the fact that the cast is stellar and captures some of Americas future great dramatic actors a moment before the launch. The story,true.That only makes it even better. We follow the 54th Massachusetts Infantry(Colored) Formed during th ACW ,it was the first infantry unit raised by a sate from free blacks. Everything you see on the screen that they went through is mostly 100% true right up to the assault on Fort Wagner. They went 18 months with out pay. Yet they had never quit the field.

Mon
Rocky-Come on,if any movie on this list typifies the American dream this is it. Forget the sequels,except the last one.That one was awesome. This first one was pure story telling of a normal smuck who out of the blue gets a chance to realize his dream.To fight for the heavyweight title of the world. Then we just follow this guy on his roller coaster ride up to the fight,all the things that happen until and then the fight. Wow,he goes toe to toe with Apollo Creed. The great thing is really Creed isn't a bad or evil guy. There really isn't one in the movie unless you count Paulie and the mob guys who hang around our hero.The movie ends like most of life ends, our hero broken but not defeated. Not triumphed but not undone.

Stand By Me- Great movie. Would be a awesome movie to share with your teenage sons but language is all over the place. Here is the thing that a lot of people do not realize. Movie is based on a short story by Steven King called the Body from Different Seasons. Now the other movie from that collection is an even bigger hit. Back to Stand By me though. Cast amazing I mean only real downer is Will Weaton. You even got Kiefer Sutherland playing his usual bad guy shtick . A look back at a simpler time when it was a big deal to go hike a few miles to go see a dead body

Outsiders- Movie turns freaking 30 this year. 30!!! All star cast no way could you pull this kind of star power today. Not just that they had this kind of power but the fact that they fit into their roles so well. Add in the Cameos-Huge props if you can spot Tom Wait's. Another look back at a simpler time and space in American history. Book is just as good. S.E. Hinton wrote a ton of books set in the same town and time frame . Some good some really really bad.

Adding a bonus film.
Sandlot-If you have kids, when you feel they can appreciate the film. Make time and sit and watch it with them. All the movie is about is about a group of neighborhood kids who gather each day when weather permits to play baseball,not football,not basketball. Baseball,Americas sport.They try to keep the ball from going over the fence to the BEAST,but sometimes can not be helped. The movie is aimed at family viewing,only reason it does not have the dreaded G rating is three borderline words,I can only guess they are put in to get the PG rating. Maybe after your kids watch they will get the notion to grab some friends and go play some ball.

Tues(the 4th)
Gettysburg-I know it is long but it tells all three days+. The characters are given the space so you can understand them so when at the end of the movie Gen Lee confronts Gen Pickett with "Gen,Reform your Division" When Pickett replies with a tortured"But General my Division is destroyed." You understand his anguish.After the movie I have walked the field and only then do you understand a lot of some of the things and why they happened. That charge by the 20th Maine,just wow. As an aside the same guy who wrote the book,Killer Angels ,also wrote ,For Love of the Game. After his death his son took up the mantle of his writing style. His books on WW2 are good. The movie looks awesome. Biggest cheer when I saw it in the theater,McClurg court,was when Ted Turner was killed.

1776-Yes I know another musical but it does tell the story of the events surrounding the Signing of the Deceleration of Independence.
Nice movie flows along well ad generally is okay to watch

Top Gun-Yeah well fuck you. It got recruitment up for the Navy when it was in a downturn. It showed off one of the most impressive pieces of US military hardware ever,THe F-14 Tomcat. If you ever got a change to see it before it was retired when it preformed at the Air & Water show you missed out on a lot. The movie itself is your basic hero journey story. Nothing too fance but it looks good,keeps you entertained and well damn it America!!!!

Last edited by chaspoppcap on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
What???

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Minooka Meatball wrote:
What???

I hate my computer it jumps as I type

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Minooka Meatball wrote:
What???

:lol:

<ยบ)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:35 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Chus wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:
What???

:lol:

I literally :lol: and I'm probably going to hell for it.