It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:13 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I was kind of looking forward to this one. It wasn't very good. Unless you listened to them regularly through the '90s, most of the nostalgia they tried to play to was lost on me.

I was hoping for more of a critical analysis than a fanboy show.

I wonder if North appreciated being included in the montage of guys that were trying to recreate the Mike and Mad Dog show?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:29 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I wonder if North appreciated being included in the montage of guys that were trying to recreate the Mike and Mad Dog show?

Was Mike or the Mad Dog the black guy?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:30 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Douchebag wrote:

Was Mike or the Mad Dog the black guy?

Racist.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:47 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Mad Dog asking Mike if Daredevil was based on a true story is up there with any great Score drop.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:10 pm 

The funniest part was as they played the Monsters of the Midday clip in the montage of Mad Dog impersonators from Eugene, Oregon, the Monsters clip was a 2-shot of North and Jiggetts with only Jiggetts talking the whole time - the one guy, Harvard graduate / former NFL guy, that is nothing like Mike and the Mad Dog instead of North railing against Ozzie.

I'd bet Pappy went nuts. And, he probably should.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I felt like this one could have benefited from being longer just because it seemed to jump around without much context and didn't seem to know if it wanted to focus on their relationship or their significance more. Besides North and Jiggs I also kind of laughed at seeing WLW conservative asshole Bill Cunningham included in that montage since I don't think he ever hosted a show primarily focused on sports. There's probably no footage of North's other ex-partner Andy Furman during his own WLW days though :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:46 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
I also kind of laughed at seeing WLW conservative asshole Bill Cunningham included in that montage since I don't think he ever hosted a show primarily focused on sports.

I think WLW is a lot like WTMJ and KMOX where there's necessarily surface-level sports talk mixed in with hard news and conservative talk. Knowing Cunningham and Cincinnati, he probably just bitched about how Ken Griffey wore his hat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:00 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
I also kind of laughed at seeing WLW conservative asshole Bill Cunningham included in that montage since I don't think he ever hosted a show primarily focused on sports.

I think WLW is a lot like WTMJ and KMOX where there's necessarily surface-level sports talk mixed in with hard news and conservative talk. Knowing Cunningham and Cincinnati, he probably just bitched about how Ken Griffey wore his hat.

Cunningham was actually one of the loudest voices about what a great deal Mike Brown's stadium agreement would be for the city of Cincinnati. The last time I heard WLW, the worst part was every show having Marty Brennaman on to opine about whatever he wanted and hearing the hosts kiss his ass by introducing him as "the three time hall of famer."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:04 am 

Remember when we got saddled with Mike McConnell because a bunch of old WLW people were running WGN? Those poor 720 listeners tuning in for the farm report and they get this pack-a-day dickhead Just Asking Questions about whether we should liquidate the poor so he can buy granite countertops and a boat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:11 am 

Wow, I didn't realize that McConnell somehow lasted 3 years at WGN. I thought they shut that down within the first year-and-a-half tops.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:48 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I was just going to post about this show as well.

Since I didn't live in NY and listen to this show, a lot of the specialness I guess they were going after was lost on me.

I only heard of Chris Russo maybe 2 years ago from his show on MLB tv. And never heard of Francesa really until this documentary. So not sure how this would play for people outside of NY. I guess now I know Russo starts the mlb show like he does. But it's pretty stupid with that AAAAANNNNDDD thing.

I do remember after the first year of north/jiggets, they were offered around 1 Mil to move to the show to NY. Not sure if it was at WFAN but they ultimately decided not to leave Chicago.

Ya it was funny the show pretty much said F U to the score and North Jiggets that they were just a copy of Mike and the Mad Dog.

Would be cool if they made a show like this about Chicago Sports radio and The Score. It'll never happen on a national level since it's Chicago and not anywhere on the East Coast. But maybe some local outfit can do it but I highly doubt it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:32 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
HawaiiYou wrote:

Would be cool if they made a show like this about Chicago Sports radio and The Score. It'll never happen on a national level since it's Chicago and not anywhere on the East Coast. But maybe some local outfit can do it but I highly doubt it.

Sounds like a WTTW project, pre-Trump gutting the budgets for public broadcasting.

A project a local broadcasting school could easily foot the bill and provide the gear for...might help sorta spark some interest in people attending their schools.

Danny Mac could shoot such an endeavor entirely on an iPhone, a la Michelle Gondry and his recent extended spot for Apple, shot entirely on an iPhone:

http://www.slate.com/articles/video/vid ... video.html

If Mac's going to do the podcast thing, I assume he'll have guests and likely guys from back in the day. Set up a couple of still cameras/lighting rigs in the studio and bank off/extra-podcast video interviews about WSCR/history of sports talk radio. A year or two in, he'd have enough video for a decent editor to stitch together a full-length documentary. It wouldn't be 30 for 30 quality, but then a documentary about sports talk radio isn't going for cinematography awards.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:34 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I liked it. It was good reminder that sports radio is supposed to be fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:35 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I thought this was gonna be about Mike & Greg Maddux.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Curious Hair wrote:
about whether we should liquidate the poor so he can buy granite countertops and a boat.

I mean once you go granite, the choice becomes clear.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:20 pm 

Coppock should be pissed.

He predated that whole doc by 5 years easy. And he didn't get a mention.

A 30 for 30 on Big Rock Candy Mountain would be amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:27 pm 

because Coppock was what was all wrong about sports radio. But he was #1 and somewhat of a pioneer back in his day when it came to the traditional talk sports radio host.

He was before the listening fan became the focus of sports radio instead of the mouthpiece lining up guest after guest. Like what the documentary showed before Mike and the Mad Dog when WFAN had guys like Gumbel.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
HawaiiYou wrote:
He was before the listening fan became the focus of sports radio instead of the mouthpiece lining up guest after guest.

do we consider bernstein AFTER the listening fan stopped being the focus of [chicago] sports radio, or THE REASON that the listening fan stopped being the focus of [chicago] sports radio? bernstein definitely evolved that "voice of the fan" thing into "voice of the REALLY. SMART. PEOPLE. telling the stupid [meatball] fans how to be SMART like them*"

* = for some reason i'm thinking "fredo type smart" here =D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:20 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
He was before the listening fan became the focus of sports radio instead of the mouthpiece lining up guest after guest.

do we consider bernstein AFTER the listening fan stopped being the focus of [chicago] sports radio, or THE REASON that the listening fan stopped being the focus of [chicago] sports radio? bernstein definitely evolved that "voice of the fan" thing into "voice of the REALLY. SMART. PEOPLE. telling the stupid [meatball] fans how to be SMART like them*"

The Score's a mess these days. I've tried to listen off and on for the last few months and there's no energy from the on-air personalities and it seems like everyone is just mailing it in. And for a radio station that's the Cubs flagship, they do an awful job being a Cubs-centric station. The Q trade, half the on air personalities were bragging how it was a great deal for the Sox.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
HawaiiYou wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

The Score's a mess these days. I've tried to listen off and on for the last few months and there's no energy from the on-air personalities and it seems like everyone is just mailing it in. And for a radio station that's the Cubs flagship, they do an awful job being a Cubs-centric station. The Q trade, half the on air personalities were bragging how it was a great deal for the Sox.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 am 

I find Mad Dog to be pretty incoherent on Sirius. I'm not sure how he created following.

I hate Francesca and have since they gave him a sting on NFL Today 20+ years ago. He's always made me want to jump through the TV and beat his fat ass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:06 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
I find Mad Dog to be pretty incoherent on Sirius. I'm not sure how he created following.

I hate Francesca and have since they gave him a sting on NFL Today 20+ years ago. He's always made me want to jump through the TV and beat his fat ass

Mad Dog is pretty entertaining ranting about baseball.
In doses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:06 pm 

Let's do it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
HawaiiYou wrote:
And for a radio station that's the Cubs flagship, they do an awful job being a Cubs-centric station. The Q trade, half the on air personalities were bragging how it was a great deal for the Sox.

Are you being purposely obtuse, or did you drink drain cleaner before logging in today?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:19 pm 

Mad Dog hosted afternoon drive in New York for almost 20 years while being a diehard San Francisco Giants fan. Can you imagine a similar situation in Chicago?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Curious Hair wrote:
Mad Dog hosted afternoon drive in New York for almost 20 years while being a diehard San Francisco Giants fan. Can you imagine a similar situation in Chicago?

Don't NY people get to claim the Giants and Dodgers without a ton of fuss since they started there? Grandpa was a NY Giants fan so he kept following them when they moved and passed it down yadda yadda yadda...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:31 pm 

Maddogs family has no roots to being NY Giants fans. He comes from generations of Yankee fans.

Story is that when he was a kid visiting Philly with his parents they stayed in the same hotel as the SF Giants. He waited in the lobby to get autographs hoping to get one. But the whole Giants team coming down the lobby one by one signed an autograph for him. Mays , McCovey, etc. that's how he became a SF Giants fans.

Last edited by HawaiiYou on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:35 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
And for a radio station that's the Cubs flagship, they do an awful job being a Cubs-centric station. The Q trade, half the on air personalities were bragging how it was a great deal for the Sox.

Are you being purposely obtuse, or did you drink drain cleaner before logging in today?

Sorry internet bully. I didn't post that today. It was Saturday dipshit (as you would say).

Maybe if you got off your fat ass and travelled around the country you realize what it means to be a flagship station of a professional ball club. Especially after a championship. Ya it's homerism 100x but that's what brings in the $$$ and pouncing in a rare opportunity. If you listen to any of the score personalities there is NO Passion when it comes to talking about Cubs baseball from the flagship. It sounds like they're talking about the Cubs back in 2001. At least back then they had Murph.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:36 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Don't NY people get to claim the Giants and Dodgers without a ton of fuss since they started there? Grandpa was a NY Giants fan so he kept following them when they moved and passed it down yadda yadda yadda...

I might be wrong but I don't think the New York Giants were ever romanticized and rhapsodized quite the way the Brooklyn Dodgers were. Maybe it's like a Velvet Underground thing where there were never that many Dodger fans but they all got jobs in media or baseball.