It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We have a new Dr Who
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know

Jodie Whittaker

Post subject: Re: We have a new Dr Who
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Chibnall worked with her on broadchurch, so I mean color me surprised. Hey maybe the master (Missy) doing the "I'm doctor who" bit in the last season finale = thst rumor that Tennant will come back as the master is true? Tennant also started in Broadchurch, you know.

That said (I think me and Beebo are the only ppl who givr a shit about doctor who here) I really don't mind dr who being a woman, it's just that the SJW/feminism crap is going to be beyond unbearable. I just.... Man... I realized this was happening when I finished up this year's season finale and the "oh no" was because of the fandom.....

But hey I've always hated dr who fandom en masse so what else is new?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
sinicalypse wrote:
Chibnall worked with her on broadchurch, so I mean color me surprised. Hey maybe the master (Missy) doing the "I'm doctor who" bit in the last season finale = thst rumor that Tennant will come back as the master is true? Tennant also started in Broadchurch, you know.

That said (I think me and Beebo are the only ppl who givr a shit about doctor who here) I really don't mind dr who being a woman, it's just that the SJW/feminism crap is going to be beyond unbearable. I just.... Man... I realized this was happening when I finished up this year's season finale and the "oh no" was because of the fandom.....

But hey I've always hated dr who fandom en masse so what else is new?

The SJW / feminist stuff will stop once she has to ask for directions on how to use the sonic screwdriver

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:37 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
She was great on Broadchurch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Katie Hopkins
@KTHopkins

Doctor Who is now a woman. She plans to go on maternity leave in 6 months and return part-time during office hours only. #DoctorWho13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:39 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
She was great on Broadchurch.

Yep.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdgAMYjYSs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:36 pm 

Yeah I haven't watched broadchurch yet but everyone seems to love it, and it's gotta be the reason chibnall was able to take over as show runner of dr who--- generally his past involvement in dr who had me thinking "this guy's a numbnuts" (see: Torchwood episode "Cyberwoman" and smile with me as this is prolly the reason they didn't refer to bill as a Cyberwoman when she got converted in the season finale 2-parter =)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:59 pm 

incidentally, here's the 13th doctor's tits if anyone wants to see them (webm)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Is this going to be the first Doctor to admit taking it up the ass?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Is this going to be the first Doctor to admit taking it up the ass?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:06 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
formerlyknownas wrote:

I didn't know Beardown was a Cubs fan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:53 am 

Global simulcast was yesterday. They replayed it about 3 times throughout the day.

I was really impressed with how smooth it was. usually the first episode of a newly regenerated doctor is chaotic and wild, and we're still trying to get used to them. transition to matt smith was all over the place, and capaldi's first episode was awful.

here, the episode revolves around a group of likable people who wind up becoming companion prospects. there's a nice emotional angle brought in as well.

jodi's great. i recently re-watched "attack the block" over the weekend and forgot that she was in that. funny that the movie plays almost like a doctor who episode (without the doctor) then i realize...wait...there's the doctor. but she has dark hair and she's joined by Finn from SW.

i wasn't sure if i was going to be into watching another season of Who for a while. but this has really gotten me back. looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:03 am 

this season has been the best i've seen in years, maybe even going back to tennant. the stories haven't been fantastic but the characters are excellent. jodie & the companions are extremely charismatic and entertaining.

yes, "rosa" got very close to being way too preachy and "VERY. IMPORTANT." but i still liked how it kept with a caper-esque tone throughout. the villain was pretty stock and weak, and had no explanation for his hatred. but other than that, i liked it.

"arachnids in the UK" was creepy fun, and took a *ton* of shots at trump (again, weakest element because...it's such a cheap shot). but still, it never overpowered the episode.

the one thing i worried about has not come to fruition--that a female doctor would just become the focal point *because* she's a woman. there's never a moment or scene with "hey, you can't do that! you're a woman!" "oh yeah? watch me!" boom!

nothing grandstanding like that. she really comes off more as a mom-like character. and she's just really fun to watch. and even at times, pretty sexy.

looking forward to the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:57 pm 

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes but haven't caught up on the rest.

Glad they don't suck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:08 am 

after a strong start, the show did start to dip a little bit. chibnall's writing showed its weaknesses, and the lack of an arc that strung together a few stories to climax in the finale (like so many past "doctor who" seasons) started to make the season feel stretched. everything was pretty much unconnected except the finale did bring some stuff back from the premiere.

the strongest episodes were "the woman who fell to earth", "kerblam!", "rosa", "it takes you away" and my favorite was "demons of the punjab". i think the worst was "the witchfinders", at least for me.

instead of a christmas special they're doing a New Year's special. i have a feeling they'll play a marathon of the whole season all day too.

overall, a decent season but a fantastic new doctor that needs a better writer going forward. i think i said that at least 2 different times with capaldi too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:41 pm 

Any truth to the rumours that Chinball and Jodie are unhappy and planning on leaving after this series?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:50 am 

i didn't hear anything about that, but a new season won't be up until 2020.

i would think people would be clamoring to write for this show. i can't imagine that if chibnall wanted to leave that there'd be a problem replacing him. hire me, damnit!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:35 am 

jodie's stint as doctor was better than capaldi's overall, in that she had better writing to work with and better stories. a lot of capaldi's era was littered with bad storytelling and retconning history that didn't make sense.

they were teetering on that a few times, especially in the NYE specials.

but now that it's over...(maybe one more special coming?)

there's a new doctor. nctui gatwa, who is in "sex education" as the gay black friend of otis, eric.

now, i like this kid a lot. i like that he's getting the gig. he's charismatic and energetic, has all the elements of being a great Doctor.

this "queer" fetish that apparently is going to be infused into the show, though...when has doctor who ever been about sexuality? in the new era (2004-pres), they have made the doctor "fall in love", something that was never really part of the story. and honestly, i wasn't a fan of that being put in. the doctor is a time lord, and the only "falling in love" should have happened with another time lord (like the master).

making the show into some kind of pride event is only going to divide fans, and it goes even further against the idea of doctor who. it's about space adventures, not love stories. and even when it's about love stories ("girl in the fireplace"), it ends tragically. not triumphantly. in doctor who's universe, love loses more times than not.

i'd be saying the same thing if the next doctor was going to be some hetero white guy and his companion is a blond bombshell that he falls in love with (again, this was pretty much going that way between the doctor and rose tyler--and it sucked).

i'm rooting for the ncuti era, but i'm very dubious about it being entertaining.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
My late wife was a big Dr. Who fan, especially Tom Baker (the 4th Dr.). When she came home for hospice care, my step-son found a Samsung channel that just shows Doctors 1-7 for her to watch. I was never that in to it, but I now watch the classics Dr. Who with the sound muted before going to sleep every night.

I would rank the first seven Dr's this way...

#1 The First Doctor
#2 The 3rd Doctor
#3 The 4th Doctor
#4 The 2nd Doctor
#5 The 5th Doctor
#6 The 7th Doctor
#7 The 6th Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Augie wrote:
My late wife was a big Dr. Who fan, especially Tom Baker (the 4th Dr.). When she came home for hospice care, my step-son found a Samsung channel that just shows Doctors 1-7 for her to watch. I was never that in to it, but I now watch the classics Dr. Who with the sound muted before going to sleep every night.

I would rank the first seven Dr's this way...

#1 The First Doctor
#2 The 3rd Doctor
#3 The 4th Doctor
#4 The 2nd Doctor
#5 The 5th Doctor
#6 The 7th Doctor
#7 The 6th Doctor

PBS was showing the Tom Baker years on Sunday nights when I was in undergraduate. I never watched before that or really much after that. But the Baker episodes were incredibly humorous when they'd show mid-70s "special effects" so it was a good way to decompress before classes the next day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:39 pm 

The first 4 Doctors were great. Then it started to get a bit stale, but the 8th was pretty great—except got a raw deal with that abysmal FOX movie…his legacy is in the radio episodes when the show was off the air.