It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Disaster Artist
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
First trailer about the making of "The Room". Regarded as one of the worst films of all time.

Looks pretty funny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qab3TMg42k

Post subject: Re: The Disaster Artist
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:07 pm 

the book was fantastic; but the tone of this movie is a little concerning. i've seen "the room" multiple times, been to a few live showings (with q&a), and have always adored its legacy in the bad movie cinema vault.

i like rogen and the franco brothers but it just looks like they're stressing "this is a bad movie!" yeah no shit. everyone knows how bad it is. the process of making it, and the strange obsession wiseau had with having it come to fruition, plus his determination and success in making money and getting out of the eastern bloc is the strongest stuff in "artist". if they can capture that for the movie, it'll be good. i don't know how they will pull it off, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
W_Z wrote:
the book was fantastic; but the tone of this movie is a little concerning. i've seen "the room" multiple times, been to a few live showings (with q&a), and have always adored its legacy in the bad movie cinema vault.

i like rogen and the franco brothers but it just looks like they're stressing "this is a bad movie!" yeah no shit. everyone knows how bad it is. the process of making it, and the strange obsession wiseau had with having it come to fruition, plus his determination and success in making money and getting out of the eastern bloc is the strongest stuff in "artist". if they can capture that for the movie, it'll be good. i don't know how they will pull it off, though.

I have not been brave enough to purchase it(The Room). I really want to see it though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
It's worth it just for the flower shop scene. This film transcends bad and is still not "good".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:12 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
W_Z wrote:

I agree with this. There isn't a whole lot to explore here that we don't know. This seems like one bridge too far the horse has been beat. I get that it is potentially a bigger audience... only thing that makes sense. The demographic has seen or heard about this movie already no?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:28 am 

You gotta think the original movie has a cult following who will check out the movie regardless. You have Franco/Rogen fans who will see this because it's a comedy. Then you have fans of movies who haven't seen "The Room", but have heard so much about it they are intrigued by the concept. At least that's who I guess could be the demos.

Also what's this conspiracy about the original film being a money laundering scheme?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:32 am 

"the room", "troll 2", and "birdemic" seem to have at least reached mainstream shores as far as awareness. maybe not everyone has seen them but i'm pretty sure most people have heard of them.

"the disaster artist" was a memoir to explain why sestero got into acting, why he kept a friendship with a clearly deranged (but focused) older immigrant, and why all of that was important enough to complete work on such a terrible film.

if you look at tim burton's "ed wood", depp strikes the perfect note in portraying wood. somewhere between parody and homage. he is believable, yet audacious and brash and over the top. wiseau is a harder thing to capture because a) he's foreign, and franco is american b) wiseau, as a person, is meant to be taken seriously. there are some really good dramatic moments in the book. i don't think it'd be right to pull them off as comedic for a film.

i'm not saying that's what they'll do; clearly the scene in the film that they showed in the trailer is meant for laughs--and it does work on that level.

but the whole story has a real strong arc and is even somewhat emotional by the end. franco deserves oscar recognition if he can strike that chord.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:48 am 

Idk where I read it, but apparently Franco is excellent in this film. When he wants to be he is a really solid actor. This definitely sound like a challenging role tho.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:55 am 

Jbi11s wrote:

Also what's this conspiracy about the original film being a money laundering scheme?

there was a running joke about how wiseau got his money. he claimed it was all legitimate, through his clothesline that he sold, and trinkets he sold on the street. sestero couldn't really believe he'd make a lot of money doing it, but he was able to afford to outright buy film equipment (even though he said even professionals rent, because equipment is always changing and updating), and always seemed to have a cashflow out of nowhere.

i don't think the movie itself was a scheme. but he did think it was going to be a huge hit. i think he thought of this as his new venture.

if you watch (if you dare) wiseau's "neighbors", he is still trying to peddle clothing. like...underwear.