It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 10 years ago today...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
We were introduced to Don Draper and the world of 1960s advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOUPSj9yzKs

I still remember how shocked I was at the end of the premiere to find Don with a wife and kids in the suburbs. We go an hour meeting Midge and Rachel (yes we meet them both before Betty) and having no clue he is married. Such a great set-up for the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kamQrBMR5xM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Time is really on turbo for me. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Rolling Stone has a great look back at Mad Men

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/rob ... ut-w492831

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:08 am 

i couldn't find the original Mad Men thread; was it purged?

wife and i started watching this a few weeks ago. years ago i had seen almost the entire 1st season before getting distracted and didn't follow up.

we are into season 3 now, and i think it's really hit its stride. there is a lot of depth to the show. sometimes it feels like there are dead spots and empty metaphors but when i think more about them they make perfect sense.

i think so far my favorite "scene" is don introducing the kodak carousel. i've watched it like 5 times on youtube.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:02 am 

we finished this over the weekend. i was thoroughly satisfied with the entire run, and found the finale to be a perfect ending for the characters. for the first time since "rectify", i actually didn't want it to end. i could watch these characters at least another 2 seasons. but i liked how it wrapped up and allowed you to piece together their futures.

the "leonard" scene was surprisingly touching, mainly because it came from don's reaction rather than the story itself. i wonder if casting was purposely making the guy resemble adam a little bit even.

there's not much i can add to what a lot of people have already said about this show. it unraveled like a novel, and there was a lot of depth that i really appreciated.

i notice people put don draper on a lot of Top Characters list; not don draper. dick whitman.

my favorite characters were peggy, joan, roger, and though brief, lane. but probably one of the best characters was pete. to actually be happy for him in any way, seeing how he develops through the years, is just brilliant writing.

i know weiner has followed this up with "the romanoffs" which has gotten mixed reviews. there's no way he can top this show, even though he has a pretty good resume in writing otherwise. this was his masterpiece, hands down.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:15 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
On my short list of my favorite series of all-time along with 24 and It's Always Sunny.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:40 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I just watched the whole series (over the last three weeks, or so) for the first time. I was addicted early on. I missed some of the subtle things happening, not sure if I was dozing off at times or they just left them as subtle hints and I didn't pick up on them. I wasn't blown away by the finale, I looked to see if I missed an episode (Netflix can be easy to jump ahead some times...)

My father-in-law was Don Draper, on the AA level.