It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:44 am 

This was an outstanding film in its own right, possibly the best "3rd" movie in a series trilogy, and this reboot does exactly what you've always wanted out of sequels...they just got better.

"war" does an amazing job of avoiding a lot of cliches, and twists things to where you think it's going to be predictable, and then it surprises you.

there are very few moments of humor, but there's an old zoo chimp that comes in around the second act (voiced by steve zahn) that provides a little comic relief. he also becomes a valuable asset to the rest of the apes.

nearly the entire last part of the film has no dialogue. it's really interesting how it deals with language and communication. woody harrelson's character is confounding. at times you really hate him...and then there are some monologues he has where you have some empathy for him.

but caesar is the main focus, and andy serkis had *better* get some oscar recognition for once here. motion capture performance is still a performance. he has a huge range of emotions, and a lot of it is all in the eyes.

the film packs a big punch, bigger than "dawn" (which i thought was far superior to "rise"), and brings everything full circle very well.

if you've followed the "apes" reboot, you will be thoroughly satisfied with this one.

:D :D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

it deserves Best Picture, Director, Screenplay, and Actor nods come Oscar time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
#oscarssoape

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:38 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Woody trying to wipe out the head ape while back in real life:

http://crimefeed.com/2017/03/did-woody- ... inate-jfk/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Can I see this movie without having seen any of the others (and still have it make sense)?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Can I see this movie without having seen any of the others (and still have it make sense)?

Its about talking apes fighting against humans. I think you will be able to follow along. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:55 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

You need to watch the original 5 movies, the shitty Tim Burton re-boot, and the 2 newer films.

Probably a good idea to watch the full TV series as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:05 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

each film is a bit contained within itself, but to give context to caesar's mindset, it would be a good idea to at least watch "dawn" first.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
I refuse to root for dann dirty apes. Decent film but in I wished it ended with Woody burying apes in a mass grave. I'm not down with rooting for the fall of man.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:52 pm 

the fall of man was their own. the apes weren't to blame for that.

i think you missed the point of the film entirely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I haven't seen the others, and this one just didn't work for me. I thought Woody was good but I just couldn't follow everything. Too long also. Sorry Zack, gotta disagree.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:14 pm 

You...couldn't follow it, admit you had not seen the others and blame the movie for that?

It's not me to disagree with if you don't even understand what you're watching.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
W_Z wrote:
You...couldn't follow it, admit you had not seen the others and blame the movie for that?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:18 pm 

W_Z wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
W_Z wrote:

He's a moron, anyway...have you heard his calls to B&B?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I thought it was just okay, but maybe I didn't get as much out of it as I hadn't seen any of the others. Question (spoiler alert): was the storyline of the no-speaking virus new to this film or also in any of the other movies?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:42 am 

it was a new development. the colonel said they didn't start noticing it until recently.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:23 am 

I didn't buy the new virus part. Sure people lost the ability to speak but with the girl we saw that it was the only lost function. Woody described it like humans with the disease devolved.

I know the Apes movies have always been an allegory about race and class, since the originals. However, there was something more they were trying to address with religion (specifically Christianity) in this episode. The alpha and the omega, Woody blessing his troops with the sign of the cross, him prominently wearing a cross with his dog tags, him saying it was a holy war and the crucifixion of apes all are Christian symbolism.

I'm too stupid to understand the point they were hoping to make, but I think it is clear they were trying to make one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I saw this for the second time yesterday because I missed a lot of the subtleties the first time with a full theater.

I loved it. To dolphin's point, there was still a lot of symbolism that I missed, and I thought the whole virus thing was confusing. Even so, they do a great job of "humanizing" the apes. Caesar's facial expressions and emotion seem very real.

Great flick.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:25 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
I saw this for the second time yesterday because I missed a lot of the subtleties the first time with a full theater.

I loved it. To dolphin's point, there was still a lot of symbolism that I missed, and I thought the whole virus thing was confusing. Even so, they do a great job of "humanizing" the apes. Caesar's facial expressions and emotion seem very real.

Great flick.

I forgot to add that Caesar leading the apes to the promised land but not being able to enter it himself is obviously from the Exodus and the scene actually matches up well with Cecil B. De Mille's The Ten Commandments.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I missed all the firing on me in this thread. Ultimately, I thought the movie was too long and yeah, perhaps I would have been way better tuned in if I saw the other two...it didn't entertain me as a stand alone movie. :drunken:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:14 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I didn't buy the new virus part. Sure people lost the ability to speak but with the girl we saw that it was the only lost function. Woody described it like humans with the disease devolved.

I know the Apes movies have always been an allegory about race and class, since the originals. However, there was something more they were trying to address with religion (specifically Christianity) in this episode. The alpha and the omega, Woody blessing his troops with the sign of the cross, him prominently wearing a cross with his dog tags, him saying it was a holy war and the crucifixion of apes all are Christian symbolism.

I'm too stupid to understand the point they were hoping to make, but I think it is clear they were trying to make one.

you can definitely look into it that way; i thought of concentration camps immediately with the apes imprisonment. i mean, that's definitely the obvious metaphor.

we don't see the devolution of humans, it's just explained that way by him. i assumed it affects people differently and in stages. i thought it was interesting, if they want to keep the series going.

they don't really have to...this was a fitting end if it turns out that way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
W_Z wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

you can definitely look into it that way; i thought of concentration camps immediately with the apes imprisonment. i mean, that's definitely the obvious metaphor.

we don't see the devolution of humans, it's just explained that way by him. i assumed it affects people differently and in stages. i thought it was interesting, if they want to keep the series going.

they don't really have to...this was a fitting end if it turns out that way.

I thought I read that 4 was already in production? Maybe I imagined that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:

You should be rooting for ISIS.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:17 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Checked this out On Demand last night and I thought it was very good. All of the movies in the newest series have been quite good but
this may have been the best. I did think it was about 20 minutes too long but when I try to think of scenes to cut out to shorten it, I
really don't come up with any that are throw aways. What they can do with CGI now is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
yep, great movie. Thought they did a great job introducing the new aspect of the virus as a way of explaining why the humans don't speak in the original 1960s movie. Same way they did a great job introducing the virus as a great vehicle for explaining how the apes were able to overcome their massive numbers disadvantage vs the humans.