It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IT
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I think this is the third trailer for the remake of the movie based on Stephen King's novel.

Looks pretty freaky deaky. I don't have an aversion to clowns, so I'm in.

In theaters September 8th.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xKJmEC5ieOk

Post subject: Re: IT
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Jbi11s wrote:
I think this is the third trailer for the remake of the movie based on Stephen King's novel.

Looks pretty freaky deaky. I don't have an aversion to clowns, so I'm in.

In theaters September 8th.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xKJmEC5ieOk

I have no idea what that has to do with computers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:45 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:56 pm 

I'll see it by Halloween.

I just got free passes to the next Conjuring or Annabelle or whatever they call this franchise. I doubt I get anyone to go with me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:13 pm 

Apparently, they are splitting the book into 2 movies. I didn't know that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:15 pm 

i swear there was a thread for this already...

looks like they are splitting this into 2 movies; first one is the kids, second one is the adults. i don't know if that's a great idea. i think this could've been a good miniseries, but i hope it holds up.

the september release is a little concerning. september is a dead zone for movie releases. but this one is pretty well hyped.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I feel better about this one instead of Dark Tower.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Goddammit Hank.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:55 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Goddammit Hank.

I'm trying to look at Hank's hate positively, and maybe he's just going in with low expectations. That way when the movie blows him away he'll be overjoyed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I think this one looks OK! What more do you want from me?!? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Goddammit Hank.

:lol: :lol:

hoping for and received.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:07 am 

i've been watching all the trailers, and some other stuff about the movie. they're giving this one all they got as far as coverage. last weekend's box office numbers were abysmal. this should help it out.

the film's running time is over 2 hours, which i think can be a good thing. usually horror movies tap out after 100 minutes, but this has a lot of depth to it.

there's no way they can incorporate how much there is in the novel (especially that...kinda sickening ending in the kids' half) but it's been said that there's more "faithfulness" to the novel than in the 1990 movie.

i'm going to try and see this on sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:11 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
good dolphin wrote:
I'll see it by Halloween.

I just got free passes to the next Conjuring or Annabelle or whatever they call this franchise. I doubt I get anyone to go with me.

Did you go see Annabelle? I thought it was bad. Very cliched doll tropes is really all it was.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The original was a staple of my childhood and I can't really imagine it being improved upon, so really just solely based on that I have no desire to ever see this.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:37 am 

FavreFan wrote:
The original was a staple of my childhood and I can't really imagine it being improved upon, so really just solely based on that I have no desire to ever see this.

Yea, as if there are two actors alive that could match the work of Tim Curry and John Ritter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Yet another remake that nobody wanted, nobody asked for, yet we got it anyways cuz nowadays all the $$$ is splunked down into "established IPs" that will "guarantee" some kind of "for-sure" ROI...

...otherwise you end up with stuff like "passengers" (Jennifer Lawrence? Chris Pratt? #TooBigToFail!!!" =)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:13 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
Yet another remake that nobody wanted, nobody asked for, yet we got it anyways cuz nowadays all the $$$ is splunked down into "established IPs" that will "guarantee" some kind of "for-sure" ROI...

...otherwise you end up with stuff like "passengers" (Jennifer Lawrence? Chris Pratt? #TooBigToFail!!!" =)

Ill give it a pass only because of the 27 year thing.

that's part of the story, right? The clown comes back every 27 years and is due in 2017?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
W_Z wrote:
i've been watching all the trailers, and some other stuff about the movie. they're giving this one all they got as far as coverage. last weekend's box office numbers were abysmal. this should help it out.

the film's running time is over 2 hours, which i think can be a good thing. usually horror movies tap out after 100 minutes, but this has a lot of depth to it.

there's no way they can incorporate how much there is in the novel (especially that...kinda sickening ending in the kids' half) but it's been said that there's more "faithfulness" to the novel than in the 1990 movie.

I think they already said there will be a sequel to this movie.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Terry's Peeps wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Pretty sure the indication is that they split the book into 2 movies, like The Hobbit, last Harry Potter, etc....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
W_Z wrote:

W_Z wrote:

looks like they are splitting this into 2 movies; first one is the kids, second one is the adults.

what i mean is, over 2 hours is a good portion of time to spend on the kids' part of the story.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Spoiler: it ends up being a big spider.

Not sure why they would re-do this unless they were planning to change the reveal at the end. I remember watching this as a kid and being really let down by the reveal that it was a spider.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
the ending is different.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:55 pm 

re-watching the 1990 miniseries, which i pretty much memorized growing up. quoting it was a pasttime of my younger sister and i. this might be a mistake, i don't want to hold it against the new movie. but damn if they didn't get this perfect in the original. yes, the adult segments get bogged down in melodrama and horrible special effects...but the performances by the kids are top notch. and the chemistry is amazing.

i miss jonathan brandis, there i said it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
shakes wrote:
Spoiler: it ends up being a big spider.

Not sure why they would re-do this unless they were planning to change the reveal at the end. I remember watching this as a kid and being really let down by the reveal that it was a spider.

It wasn't really a spider.
That's just what human minds could comprehend.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:15 pm 

correct.

Quote:
Throughout the book, It is generally referred to as male; however, late in the book, the protagonists come to believe that It may be female (due to its manifestation as a monstrous female spider). This is, however, not It's "true form," it is simply the closest the human mind can come to approximating it. It's natural form exists in a realm beyond the physical, which It calls the "deadlights" (described as writhing, destructive orange lights).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
spike has the original movie playing today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:08 pm 

this movie had a lot of promise, and a good start with the very faithful representation of bill and george building that fateful paper boat.

but honestly, the moment we meet pennywise, i could not help but be completely taken out of it. skarsgard absolutely sucks. his choice of tone, his inexplicable voice, and his inappropriate demeanor (no kid would be "charmed" by his antics), just put together a perfect storm of suck. i haven't seen him in any other role so i can't vouch for his acting abilities on the whole. but here, he really didn't get it. this role was out of his depth.

the kids are good actors, but in some cases the acting comes off more than their personalities do. there's so much dialog, too smart dialog, and the peppering of bad language just seems like it's being thrown in specifically to prove it's R-rated.

same goes for the gore. yes, it's bloody. sometimes it's effective. but beverly's scene in the bathroom with the gushing blood gets really ridiculous.

the film barely follows the book and rarely is it really faithful to king's story. the deadlights are never really explored, and only show up in the final climax, for a few seconds. there is also no real reason why pennywise is used as a form, except one kid (again, a change from the book; the character is afraid of werewolves in the book, not clowns). all pennywise does is go around trying to creep out the kids, which works--and yet, the apparent logic is that pennywise can only overtake you when he knows you're afraid of him. that's literally every time he shows up on screen. by those rules, everyone in the loser's club would be dead.

the miniseries was made in 1990. during this time, it was still something for a black actor to have any real presence in a film. in both adult and kid form, mike hanlon is well represented. 27 years later, mike hanlon is barely present here. he's given no personality, nothing to identify him or separate him from the other kids. how progressive is that? the poor kid is left out to see, and mike is one of the central focuses in king's story. he is basically a throwaway in this film.

there is a lot of wasted potential here. it wasn't "bad"; it's competently made, sometimes there's a scare thrown in there. but a lot of the creepiness is highly manufactured and way too eager. it's from that james wan school of horror filmmaking: loaded with tropes and cliches...something that might scare a 12 year old. but not really people our age.

plus, i'm really getting tired of the overzealous references from movies that are taking place in the 80's. in this case, for some reason the kids are heavily into "street fighter" in the arcade. i never saw the first "street fighter" in any arcade growing up. it was "street fighter 2" that came out of nowhere and suddenly overtook arcades everywhere and birthed the fighting game era. so that really bugs me too. you can tell none of these idiots were really living through the 80's.

for a movie that eclipses 2 hours, we don't really get to know these kids, why they like each other and why they grow to love one another enough to overcome It's powers. it's severely underwritten and you can tell it suffered from director exchange.

i'll still watch the next part if it gets made (i'm pretty sure it will) but i'm dubious about it being any good.

:D :D out of :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:19 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
W_Z wrote:
this movie had a lot of promise, and a good start with the very faithful representation of bill and george building that fateful paper boat.

but honestly, the moment we meet pennywise, i could not help but be completely taken out of it. skarsgard absolutely sucks. his choice of tone, his inexplicable voice, and his inappropriate demeanor (no kid would be "charmed" by his antics), just put together a perfect storm of suck. i haven't seen him in any other role so i can't vouch for his acting abilities on the whole. but here, he really didn't get it. this role was out of his depth.

the kids are good actors, but in some cases the acting comes off more than their personalities do. there's so much dialog, too smart dialog, and the peppering of bad language just seems like it's being thrown in specifically to prove it's R-rated.

same goes for the gore. yes, it's bloody. sometimes it's effective. but beverly's scene in the bathroom with the gushing blood gets really ridiculous.

the film barely follows the book and rarely is it really faithful to king's story. the deadlights are never really explored, and only show up in the final climax, for a few seconds. there is also no real reason why pennywise is used as a form, except one kid (again, a change from the book; the character is afraid of werewolves in the book, not clowns). all pennywise does is go around trying to creep out the kids, which works--and yet, the apparent logic is that pennywise can only overtake you when he knows you're afraid of him. that's literally every time he shows up on screen. by those rules, everyone in the loser's club would be dead.

the miniseries was made in 1990. during this time, it was still something for a black actor to have any real presence in a film. in both adult and kid form, mike hanlon is well represented. 27 years later, mike hanlon is barely present here. he's given no personality, nothing to identify him or separate him from the other kids. how progressive is that? the poor kid is left out to see, and mike is one of the central focuses in king's story. he is basically a throwaway in this film.

there is a lot of wasted potential here. it wasn't "bad"; it's competently made, sometimes there's a scare thrown in there. but a lot of the creepiness is highly manufactured and way too eager. it's from that james wan school of horror filmmaking: loaded with tropes and cliches...something that might scare a 12 year old. but not really people our age.

plus, i'm really getting tired of the overzealous references from movies that are taking place in the 80's. in this case, for some reason the kids are heavily into "street fighter" in the arcade. i never saw the first "street fighter" in any arcade growing up. it was "street fighter 2" that came out of nowhere and suddenly overtook arcades everywhere and birthed the fighting game era. so that really bugs me too. you can tell none of these idiots were really living through the 80's.

for a movie that eclipses 2 hours, we don't really get to know these kids, why they like each other and why they grow to love one another enough to overcome It's powers. it's severely underwritten and you can tell it suffered from director exchange.

i'll still watch the next part if it gets made (i'm pretty sure it will) but i'm dubious about it being any good.

:D :D out of :D :D :D :D

Thanks for the review. You have to know by now that the 1980s are the new 1950s :)

I probably won't be able to see this movie without comparing it to the 1990 miniseries. The acting in that was just great. I just re-saw it last night the first time in 27 years and it was still great. It was just perfectly scary. It didnt need to go overboard on the gore since the psychological tension was perfect.

SPOILERS BELOW - DONT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ OR SEEN THE MOVIE(S) :

Without spoiling it for anyone who has not seen or read the book, for the 2017 movie, does it end during the first battle in the sewers like the 90 series or does it go all the way to the end when their adults? If it goes all the way, I have no idea how they would fit all that into 2 hours.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:24 am 

no, it's only focusing on the kids. the climactic battle is in the sewers, just like the book and miniseries. as has been stated above in this thread, the film's going to have a second part (if it makes enough money i guess?) that will deal with them as adults.

i know the 80's are the new 50's. but in the original miniseries you didn't see the kids going around saying "hey, want to go to the soda jerk shop later and listen to some elvis records?? get it? because it's THE FIFTIES???" that's what i mean about the references.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:29 am 

i just looked at the box office, and it destroyed the #1 position, so the sequel will definitely be a go.

the numbers are ridiculous. it made $117 million over the weekend. #2? made under $10 million.