It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: IT
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:58 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
No offense to WZ, but literally everything I have heard about this movie is positive and one of the year's best. I'll form my own opinion when I have a chance to see it, but I was slightly surprised at the review in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:16 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
WZ's review is the first bad thing I've heard about it.

Maybe its because he loved the 1990 films. Outside of the excellent Tim Curry, that was trash.

I'm not puzzled why the movie is in two parts, that makes sense, I'm just surprised that they did the kid part to the end and then will do the adult part to the end. I think they should have blended it together like the books and original films.

I'm going to see it Wednesday night so I'll be back to give my two cents.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:25 am 

Not quite universal acclaim. One of the bad reviews sounds a lot like WZ

The movie is not terrifying but blandly edifying; its scares, foreshadowed as if by telegram, are delivered less effectively than its life lessons

TOMATOMETER

86%
Average Rating: 7.2/10
Reviews Counted: 202
Fresh: 174
Rotten: 28
Critics Consensus: Well-acted and fiendishly frightening with an emotionally affecting story at its core, It amplifies the horror in Stephen King's classic story without losing touch with its heart.

AUDIENCE SCORE

89%
liked it
Average Rating: 4.3/5
User Ratings: 34,624

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:06 am 

i don't think of the miniseries as something untouchable. i was looking forward to this, actually. critically, i'd say the miniseries is a "marginal thumb's up". it just happened to be a part of my own childhood so it has a lot of nostalgic value. but as i pointed out in this very thread, it gets bogged down with bad special effects and melodrama. it was made for tv, after all. it's not like there were that many great made for tv movies coming out at the time. and it was made on a low budget in canada. for all that, it had some strength on its own weight.

this movie is chock full of cheap jump scares, overbearing CGI effects, and watered down characters. if that's what you're looking for, then you will not be disappointed. there is a lot more to "It" (that the miniseries *did* pick up on) that's missing in this adaptation.

also, i love how whenever oscar season comes along, everybody here immediately shits on whatever wins best picture. "argo" sucked, "the artist" boring and lame, etc. all of those get high RT scores.

but "It"...whoa whoa whoa WZ, where is this negative review coming from? haven't you seen the RT scores??

which is it, fhqwhgads?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:12 am 

I wasn't referencing critics. I rarely agree with anything they like. :lol:

I meant other fans of King/IT that I know who have seen it and enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 am 

I know but you yourself hated the miniseries and that is usually highly regarded by Stephen King/It fans too. It's not like I'm Patrick Hotstetter here with a collection of dead flies trying to jack you off, unless that's what you want.

Is that what you want, Hank?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:29 am 

W_Z wrote:
I know but you yourself hated the miniseries and that is usually highly regarded by Stephen King/It fans too. It's not like I'm Patrick Hotstetter here with a collection of dead flies trying to jack you off, unless that's what you want.

Is that what you want, Hank?

I'll bring the beans, you bring the lighter and we'll just go from there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:48 pm 

I was too quick to rush to judgment on WZ. His review was spot on. Didn't love it. Didn't hate it.

I know they had to rush to fill so much story in but I felt the whole movie was sprinting from scene to scene. And Henry Bowers was a fucking madman from the word go. His descent from bully to madman was one of the great storylines of the book.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Hank Scorpio wrote:
I was too quick to rush to judgment on WZ. His review was spot on. Didn't love it. Didn't hate it.

I know they had to rush to fill so much story in but I felt the whole movie was sprinting from scene to scene. And Henry Bowers was a fucking madman from the word go. His descent from bully to madman was one of the great storylines of the book.

but was it scary? did it scare you anytime during the movie experience? I don't think I've ever been scared in a movie theater in like 30 years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I've asked 3 people who've seen this, all three said it it sucked..they laughed a couple times and it was not scary whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I've been going to see this like three times, and each time I couldn't go for some reason. I figure now it's just fate and the movie sucks.

Also, every time I see the title, I read it as the acronym "I.T." rather than the word "IT." Therefore, I immediately envision it as a biography of Boilermaker Rick as portrayed by Rainn Wilson.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
leashyourkids wrote:
I've been going to see this like three times, and each time I couldn't go for some reason. I figure now it's just fate and the movie sucks.

Also, every time I see the title, I read it as the acronym "I.T." rather than the word "IT." Therefore, I immediately envision it as a biography of Boilermaker Rick as portrayed by Rainn Wilson.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Franky T wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:37 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

there are a fuckton of youtube videos dedicated to "it"...remake vs. miniseries, 10 things you missed, etc. the one thing that gets me is any praise directed at the remake talks about "getting to know the kids more". what movie were these people watching? i'd love to give a quiz and see how much they retain from seeing the movie. it has as much depth as dandelion spores.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:55 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Really liked this movie, but it was more of a thriller than a horror film to me.

I thought Skarsgard was great, and def creepy.

A lot of the visuals were very well done.

The chemistry between the kids was the best part of the movie.

Really looking forward to the second one. It'll be interesting to see who they cast as the versions of the kids.

Also, there was a scene filmed where the setting is the 1600s or something like that which is very disturbing which didn't make it to the final cut. Maybe it will be on the director's cut.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:20 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Really liked this movie, but it was more of a thriller than a horror film to me.

I thought Skarsgard was great, and def creepy.

A lot of the visuals were very well done.

The chemistry between the kids was the best part of the movie.

Really looking forward to the second one. It'll be interesting to see who they cast as the versions of the kids.

Also, there was a scene filmed where the setting is the 1600s or something like that which is very disturbing which didn't make it to the final cut. Maybe it will be on the director's cut.

I didn't like Skarsgard at all. Pennywise was supposed to be a way to bring kids to him. No kid in the world would look at him and think "Oh that looks like a funny clown, I want to go talk to him." Plus I feel like he had a bit of a lazy eye and it was distracting me.

It was all jump scares, which can "scare" you at the moment but that doesn't last. You've got to fuck with my head to make a scary film.

The kids did a good job. Richie and Bev were the only ones that really stood out to me though. Bill was supposed to be the leader and galvanize them and I never got that from the kid. I think he was the worst of them actually.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:13 am 

i just felt bad for him. the actor did a great job with the stutter but didn't have the presence of a "leader".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Saw this yesterday, loved it, was scared multiple times. Will tell SK as much on Friday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:37 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Saw this yesterday, loved it, was scared multiple times. Will tell SK as much on Friday.

Why tell him? Outside of character names and locations, it bore very little resemblance to the book he wrote. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:38 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

Why tell him? Outside of character names and locations, it bore very little resemblance to the book he wrote. :lol:

King loves the film, and Skarsgard's performance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:45 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I love almost everything King has put on paper. He's my favorite author but hes a terrible judge of film/TV. He's loved everything that has ever been made about his stuff except for The Shining and that's one of his few good non-prison movies. His opinion about a TV/movie adaptation means nothing to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:47 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I love almost everything King has put on paper. He's my favorite author but hes a terrible judge of film/TV. He's loved everything that has ever been made about his stuff except for The Shining and that's one of his few good non-prison movies. His opinion about a TV/movie adaptation means nothing to me.

Yes but what about cocaine?... I mean 'Maximum Overdrive'?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HgIgYhaqKeo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:58 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Yes but what about cocaine?... I mean 'Maximum Overdrive'?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HgIgYhaqKeo

:lol: :lol: exactly

Although you could argue that once he stopped drugs and drinking, his stuff went downhill.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:36 pm 

stephen king admits he has the worst opinions when it comes to movies, because he loves everything. i think he said once "even the worst piece of shit i ever saw, i fucking loved".

not exactly a resource of criticism.

this has so much love for it, the internet has a way of going oppo after a while. there will be a slew of youtubers calling this the biggest overrated pile of shit just to spite all the positive vibes.

for me, i didn't hate it. i just felt nothing for it, and a lot of the stereotypes i saw were more teeth grinding than creepy or atmospheric. after the george/pennywise scene, i had a hard time getting into it.

i did like the in-jokes of NKOTB between bev and ben. that was one of the few times there was actual chemistry going on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:08 pm 

is this one of those movies you have to see in the theater? or will it have the same effect when it's on tbs in a few years?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I love King's writing too, but he once said "Witch" made him lose sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

I once saw this B movie of one of Kings novels, but it was great. It may have been on HBO. I think it was about a vampire who flew airplanes. Had to be like 20 years ago. All i remember was it was fantastic.

And most of his TV series have been fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:59 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

I can see his point. The baby theft, mutilation and ritual was gory, shocking and scary. It happened right at the beginning so it is easy to forget.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Never read the book, never saw the original. Not into "scary" movies....my younger son is, so I took both my kids to see it.

They loved it. Everyone I've talked to loved it. I thought it sucked, but it's just not my kind of movie or story.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.