71%
liked it
AUDIENCE SCORE
User Ratings: 3,236

On the other hand...

Post subject: Re: Us
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
From the commercials it seems like "The Rebel Flesh" episode of Doctor Who.

I'll probably see it when it hits HBO/Netflix.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:06 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
From the commercials it seems like "The Rebel Flesh" episode of Doctor Who.

I'll probably see it when it hits HBO/Netflix.

I saw it on the Firestick. My daughter and her friends are into horror movies now. I wouldnt have gone to the theater.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
rogers park bryan wrote:
I thought it was pretty entertaining.

94%
TOMATOMETER
Reviews Counted: 344
71%
liked it
AUDIENCE SCORE

On the other hand...

This would explain why Bernstein loved it and was telling Jordan Peele to keep doing what he's doing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:34 am 

Franky T wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

94%
TOMATOMETER
71%
liked it
AUDIENCE SCORE

On the other hand...

This would explain why Bernstein loved it and was telling Jordan Peele to keep doing what he's doing.

Nah, Whitlock is the crazy one here. There are some political undertones if you read into it, but it's not in your face or anything. It's a straight horror movie for the most part.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Franky T wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

94%
TOMATOMETER
71%
liked it
AUDIENCE SCORE

On the other hand...

Nah, Whitlock is the crazy one here. There are some political undertones if you read into it, but it's not in your face or anything. It's a straight horror movie for the most part.

Yeah, I've even seen reviews complaining that there's not enough politics in it like Get Out. Safe to say Whitlock is way off base here considering all the other reviews about the movie.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing this in a couple weeks,

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'm guessing that it's ridiculously overhyped. Maybe I am missing something, but I did not get why A Quiet Place or Get Out were hailed as instant classics. Not that they were terrible, but I thought they would be more memorable given all the accolades poured on them.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:13 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
[

Let me amend this.

Im sure there are a million little things you could see as political but one can absolutely watch this movie and not think much about politics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:36 pm 

I just saw Get Out a few months ago and assumed it was overhyped and people were just knobbing it due to “wokeness” or whatever but realized I was wrong when I saw it. It’s excellent. It’s still amusing to me though that people like Bernstein love it and he’s likterally the exact type of person it’s critiquing, wealthy white liberals.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:41 pm 

Get Out is an awesome movie no matter what your politics are. Looking forward to this one when it's availible to rent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:51 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
I'm guessing that it's ridiculously overhyped. Maybe I am missing something, but I did not get why A Quiet Place or Get Out were hailed as instant classics. Not that they were terrible, but I thought they would be more memorable given all the accolades poured on them.

I would agree that it is overhyped. Went with the wife on Saturday and we both left the theater wondering WTF was that mess.

The acting was sub par from the dad. They had him do a lot of comedy, which made me feel like I was watching Tyler Perry. He just couldn't pull it off. The mother and kids where great. You really felt the emotions of both sides of the characters they had to play. The kids had a couple minimal one liners but nothing like the "scary movie" jokes Peele wrote for the dad.

The cinematography was entertaining. The shot of the doppelganger family standing on the driveway is still vivid in my mind. Music was a little like Children of the Corn, which I loved. They had a couple cool music scenes with Alexa that I thought where done very well.

Where the movie fell short was the plot. Red flags went off in my head when I saw the text flash on the screen during the intro before the first scene started. Anytime they have to setup a movie by explaining the setting, you know it is going to be some far out bullshit that the director felt needed text to explain the plot. Critics say this is a great movie because you leave the theatre thinking about the plot holes. I agree that thinking movies can be great, but is it really a successful thinking movie when you have to explain it before it even starts? Also has a couple moments where they explain things and it still makes no sense. I wish they would have just left it up to the viewers to fill in the gaps, instead of trying to explain it and still not making any sense.

I would not recommend going to the theatre to watch this movie. Wait for Netflix and watch it on a rainy summer night.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:00 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
[

Let me amend this.

Im sure there are a million little things you could see as political but one can absolutely watch this movie and not think much about politics.

I must have missed all the political undertones because of all the shitty character dialog from the dad "Tyler Perry"

Only political thing I can think of is people that live good lives should feel bad for the people that don't. Our happy lives somehow cause others to be unhappy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:14 pm 

Juiced wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
[

Let me amend this.

I must have missed all the political undertones because of all the shitty character dialog from the dad "Tyler Perry"

Only political thing I can think of is people that live good lives should feel bad for the people that don't. Our happy lives somehow cause others to be unhappy.

It's there if you want it to be there but its subtle so that fat fuck Whitlock was going in looking for it.

The dad was weak but provided a few humorous moments.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:38 pm 

Juiced wrote:

I would agree that it is overhyped. Went with the wife on Saturday and we both left the theater wondering WTF was that mess.

The acting was sub par from the dad. They had him do a lot of comedy, which made me feel like I was watching Tyler Perry. He just couldn't pull it off. The mother and kids where great. You really felt the emotions of both sides of the characters they had to play. The kids had a couple minimal one liners but nothing like the "scary movie" jokes Peele wrote for the dad.

The cinematography was entertaining. The shot of the doppelganger family standing on the driveway is still vivid in my mind. Music was a little like Children of the Corn, which I loved. They had a couple cool music scenes with Alexa that I thought where done very well.

Where the movie fell short was the plot. Red flags went off in my head when I saw the text flash on the screen during the intro before the first scene started. Anytime they have to setup a movie by explaining the setting, you know it is going to be some far out bullshit that the director felt needed text to explain the plot. Critics say this is a great movie because you leave the theatre thinking about the plot holes. I agree that thinking movies can be great, but is it really a successful thinking movie when you have to explain it before it even starts? Also has a couple moments where they explain things and it still makes no sense. I wish they would have just left it up to the viewers to fill in the gaps, instead of trying to explain it and still not making any sense.

I would not recommend going to the theatre to watch this movie. Wait for Netflix and watch it on a rainy summer night.

A scary movie with a questionable plot? That has to be a first in the history of movies.

The greatest scary movie franchise of all time is basically about a ruthless unstoppable killer trying to kill his sister and failing every single time because I don't know, a car crash knocks him into the woods or something and then he goes and lives in a cave until next fall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Hockey Gay wrote:
Get Out is an awesome movie no matter what your politics are. Looking forward to this one when it's availible to rent.

i don't think you can rent movies anymore since blockbuster went out of business.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:43 pm 

Juiced wrote:

Destroy our safe and happy lives before it is too late

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:44 pm 

Hussra wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

i don't think you can rent movies anymore since blockbuster went out of business.

Maybe he moved to Oregon. They're not done yet my friend.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hussra wrote:

There's a Family Video near our house.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:52 pm 

Juiced wrote:

This seems about right. It looks messy from everything I have seen or read about it, but it seems like group think has deemed it that Peele cannot be criticized. I saw people calling it the best movie in "years".

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
FavreFan wrote:
I just saw Get Out a few months ago and assumed it was overhyped and people were just knobbing it due to “wokeness” or whatever but realized I was wrong when I saw it. It’s excellent. It’s still amusing to me though that people like Bernstein love it and he’s likterally the exact type of person it’s critiquing, wealthy white liberals.

Agreed on both counts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:16 pm 

Juiced wrote:

This seems about right. It looks messy from everything I have seen or read about it, but it seems like group think has deemed it that Peele cannot be criticized. I saw people calling it the best movie in "years".

What has led you to believe Peele cant be criticized?

Its at 94% critics and 71% audience so many people seem to be willing to criticize.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:50 pm 

Juiced wrote:

I would say it was the best horror movie genre IDEA in years. It would have been fine if all Peele wanted to do was make a slasher, blood bath typical movie (Brick's version of a horror movie) but he went for "best movie in years" Oscar style and not just fun bad style.

Like Theo and Jed, some times you can get too cute for what you are trying to accomplish.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:07 pm 

Juiced wrote:
Juiced wrote:

I would say it was the best horror movie genre IDEA in years. It would have been fine if all Peele wanted to do was make a slasher, blood bath typical movie (Brick's version of a horror movie) but he went for "best movie in years" Oscar style and not just fun bad style.

Like Theo and Jed, some times you can get too cute for what you are trying to accomplish.

What specific plot stuff bothered you? I mean you have to suspend disbelief a little bit.

BEWARE SPOILERS GOING FORWARD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:32 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
What specific plot stuff bothered you? I mean you have to suspend disbelief a little bit.

BEWARE SPOILERS GOING FORWARD

SPOILERS.....

I agree that you need to suspend disbelief a little bit but the film is stuck in between movies like Scream, Night Of the Living Dead, and the Hills Have Eyes. He tried to mix too much and it came out messy.

The problems I had with the plot was not that I couldn't suspend disbelief, it was because I couldn't settle into a mood that let me suspend disbelief. With each of the three movies I listed, each called for suspending disbelief in different ways. Scream was silly and fun but not serious. Night Of the Living Dead was the first introduction to Zombies. You could lose yourself in the disbelief that the dead were coming back to life and eating people because Romero beautifully setup the illusion of a zombie apocalypse.
Hills Have Eyes was the most unbelievable of them all but it still took on the illusion that the desert cannibals are real.

These films each mastered different elements of disbelief and were a huge success in the horror genre. US was a jack of all trades and master of none.

SPOILERS.....

None of the family dies from their doubles when the white family doubles took out the whole white family in 2 minutes. This is a small detail but still annoying.

The biggest flaw was the reasoning for the doubles. We are suppose to believe they lived in an underground mall and caves for 30 years copying the actions of their upper world twin? Surviving on rabbits?

How did they all get red suits, scissors and gloves?

Enough of these doubles lived underground to form a "hands across the world" human chain?

If they copied the actions of their upper world twin, then how did they kill them. Why did they copy actions and then not copy actions? They didn't have free will. That is the point of the whole movie.

exc exc... The whole movie made no sense.

Last edited by Juiced on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:44 pm 

Hussra wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

We rent digitally through Xfinity on demand or ps4.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Just got back from seeing it at Tinseltown.
I didn't care that much for Get Out either....
I liked it better when Peele was funny.
Whatever -- $5 Tuesdays and a decent respite from all the Trump/Smollett nonsense.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:38 am 

SPOILERS!!!

Juiced wrote:

None of the family dies from their doubles when the white family doubles took out the whole white family in 2 minutes. This is a small detail but still annoying.

This one makes sense.

The main character and the son were both switched out. They were humans. They didnt want to kill the tethered. Which is why they tried to kill the dad and the daughter but not the mom and son.

Juiced wrote:
The biggest flaw was the reasoning for the doubles. We are suppose to believe they lived in an underground mall and caves for 30 years copying the actions of their upper world twin? Surviving on rabbits?

How did they all get red suits, scissors and gloves?

Enough of these doubles lived underground to form a "hands across the world" human chain?

If they copied the actions of their upper world twin, then how did they kill them. Why did they copy actions and then not copy actions? They didn't have free will. That is the point of the whole movie.

exc exc... The whole movie made no sense.

Yea the suits and stuff is a legit gripe.

The human (Red) could do things the tethered couldnt and she taught them. That takes care of the action part.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:43 am 

FavreFan wrote:

I still say the movie is an unintentional exploration of Peele's fear of being considered white in a black world and black in a white world. I think that critique is perfectly supportable and I am surprised that I have seen it nowhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:50 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Juiced wrote:

A scary movie with a questionable plot? That has to be a first in the history of movies.

The greatest scary movie franchise of all time is basically about a ruthless unstoppable killer trying to kill his sister and failing every single time because I don't know, a car crash knocks him into the woods or something and then he goes and lives in a cave until next fall.

I heard some bs on NPR on the way home yesterday where an AA critic was talking about not having enough "people who look like her" as the protagonist in horror movies. It's almost as if neither the interviewer or the interviewee actually like horror. The protagonist in most horror is the monster. She complained about black people holding roles as tropes in horror. Meanwhile, almost all of the hit horror movies of the past half century are disposable teens getting slashed by memorable villians.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Yeah GD, some in the 80s may have even gone to horror movies to see tits before the slash. :lol: