It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: The Hut
The show went off the deep end long ago, seemingly acting as nothing but a soundingboard for Liberal idealists, however, this was not always the case.

There was a time when the venerable show was actually funny, when the skits parodied life in general. When they did not rely so hard upon Alec Baldwin.

This thread is for those skits.

To commence, I give you

Middle-Aged Man!

Please feel free to add to this compendium. I will, but I'M WORKIN ON IT!!!

Enjoy!

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

Last edited by Pres-Elect FukNuggitt on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:22 pm 

SNL has largely been crap since Eddie Murphy was leaving.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:24 pm 

Eddie Murphy putting on makeup and going into the white world

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:24 pm 

And it was pretty shitty for the 2-3 seasons before he got there

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:30 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Black Jeopardy with Tom Hanks was brilliant.

Bill Hader and his puppet with Seth McFarlane was also great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
What was that Ebony and Ivory skit....

“I am dark, and you are light, you’re as blind as bat, and I have sight, side by side my amigo negro....”. Something like that.

https://youtu.be/0h2jZtuRuic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:32 pm 

denisdman wrote:

“You are dark, and I am light, you’re as blind as bat, and I have sight, side by side my amigo negro....”. Something like that.

Y'all are too young to remember the Richard Pryor and Chevy Chase skit. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
But I liked Brewster’s Millions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:41 pm 

Will Ferrel's The Love-ahs! Moussacca!

The Church Lady

Two Wild 'N Crazy Guys

Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

Too Hot in The Hot Tub

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:41 pm 

Hans & Franz

Jon Lovitz' The Liar and The Master Thespian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
denisdman wrote:
But I liked Brewster’s Millions.

I saw one of those stupid lists about the top 20 election movies OF ALL TIME and that wasn't on the list. Don't ask me how it didn't make it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:44 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
there's one commercial from the early 90s that never made the "SNL goes commercial" specials/compilations and whatnot; yard-o-pult. basically a big backyard catapult that would fling anything over the fence and into the great suburban abyss. i think the family dog AND grandma both made it onto there, and this one is one you gotta dig for

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
"SNL sucks these days" threads are nothing but a microcosm of old man syndrome. When you're in your 20s you like SNL because it's hip, edgy, funny, whatever, and the cast is typically older than you which means you unconsciously view them through some sort of celebrity worship prism. In your 30s you may be critical of the cast and skits because you're a bit more learned, you've seen a lot, and you can identify political undertones in ways you couldn't earlier. You still can enjoy SNL but you're more discriminating. In your 40s and beyond SNL sucks because the cast is almost always younger than you and probably too crude for your old man tastes. Nothing makes sense or is funny because the type of comedy on display is that of a new generation which is almost always found unfunny or by people outside that generation. The benchmark against which you judge SNL is the era of shows from 20 years prior, when your child-like sensibilities allowed 30 year old cast members to intrigue you in ways you'd never let 30 year old comedians intrigue you today as a 40 something person. At this point rather than writing about SNL you might as well just code a bot to do the writing for you. The template you can use to get the bot going would include repetitive things like "was so much better when" and "sucks nowadays." When you notice yourself bitching about SNL it can only mean two things: you're a republican and/or you're old.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:54 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
"SNL sucks these days" threads are nothing but a microcosm of old man syndrome. When you're in your 20s you like SNL because it's hip, edgy, funny, whatever, and the cast is typically older than you which means you unconsciously view them through some sort of celebrity worship prism. In your 30s you may be critical of the cast and skits because you're a bit more learned, you've seen a lot, and you can identify political undertones in ways you couldn't earlier. You still can enjoy SNL but you're more discriminating. In your 40s and beyond SNL sucks because the cast is almost always younger than you and probably too crude for your old man tastes. Nothing makes sense or is funny because the type of comedy on display is that of a new generation which is almost always found unfunny or by people outside that generation. The benchmark against which you judge SNL is the era of shows from 20 years prior, when your child-like sensibilities allowed 30 year old cast members to intrigue you in ways you'd never let 30 year old comedians intrigue you today as a 40 something person. At this point rather than writing about SNL you might as well just code a bot to do the writing for you. The template you can use to get the bot going would include repetitive things like "was so much better when" and "sucks nowadays." When you notice yourself bitching about SNL it can only mean two things: you're a republican and/or you're old.

This would be quite convenient if true, but its not.

I have a very irreverent sense of humor, and it does not depend on how old the comedians are.

For instance, this skit/prank almost made me piss my pants, and it hardly had to do with any incontinence issues!

And these guys' work is hilarious!

Also, nobody can claim that Key & Peele are not funny, and neither could or would I!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
veganfan21 wrote:

I entered old man syndrome 3 or 4 years ago. 90 percent of pop culture is either crappy or gay to me LOL The last "new" band I got into were the Lumineers. It's over for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I always thought this 60 Minutes spoof about defective novelties was perfect. Martin Short is great as the attorney.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... utes/n9280

Speaking of Martin Short - Synchronized Swimming and he can't swim.

https://vimeo.com/353695716

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:07 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
veganfan21 wrote:

I was told there would be no math.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:08 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
veganfan21 wrote:

To all that, I would add that people of a certain age really got into SNL through the reruns on Comedy Central, which were cut down to an hour, so we never had to sit through the stuff that didn't work (but then again there was the Mediaopoly sketch that Lorne cut from syndication).

In the long run, Saturday Night Live has always been bad. There have been moments or years of good along the way (Eddie Murphy singlehandedly saving the franchise, the late-'80s-early-'90s all-star cast, Norm), but taken as a whole, it's bad. 45 years, give or take, of bad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
I'll be 40 in January and I haven't watched SNL in probably 10 years. My 18 year old never watches it but I've shown him some clips from youtube. One of my sales coordinators watches it and he asks me occasionally if I watched it and I always act surprised its still on the air.

The Chris Rock/Kevin Bacon skit from way back stands out. Chris Rock was playing his Nat X character and Kevin Bacon was Vanilla Ice. It was funny. Colin Powell also makes an appearance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

To all that, I would add that people of a certain age really got into SNL through the reruns on Comedy Central, which were cut down to an hour, so we never had to sit through the stuff that didn't work (but then again there was the Mediaopoly sketch that Lorne cut from syndication).

In the long run, Saturday Night Live has always been bad. There have been moments or years of good along the way (Eddie Murphy singlehandedly saving the franchise, the late-'80s-early-'90s all-star cast, Norm), but taken as a whole, it's bad. 45 years, give or take, of bad.

Pretty much the clip shows show the best 5 percent of the show. It likely felt revolutionary when it debuted. Now? It's network TV. And the majority of the hosts aren't cut out for live skits, but they are shoe horned in.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:14 pm 

Franky T wrote:
I always thought this 60 Minutes spoof about defective novelties was perfect. Martin Short is great as the attorney.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... utes/n9280

Speaking of Martin Short - Synchronized Swimming and he can't swim.

https://vimeo.com/353695716

Classic! Those 4 players alone (Shearer, Guest, Crystal, and Short - WOW!) put so much into their work. Everything, the accents, the mannerisms - impeccable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Bass-O-Matic, Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood, Schwetty Balls, Dick-in-a-box: I'm old, but can laugh at something from nearly every season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:

“You are dark, and I am light, you’re as blind as bat, and I have sight, side by side my amigo negro....”. Something like that.

Y'all are too young to remember the Richard Pryor and Chevy Chase skit. :)

Speak for yourself, old man. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
SNL has largely been unwatchable since the Hader, Wiig, Sudekis, Armisen era ended.

Aside from the occasional great Kate McKinnon sketch.

I know the 80s had some inconsistent moments.

The early 90s were prolly the best the show has ever offered.

The late 90s/early 2000s were actually really good.

The last time the show had legitimate talent was the late 2000s/early 2010s.

This is all aside from the occasional great host that can change the reception of any episode.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Was never funny.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Jbi11s wrote:
SNL has largely been unwatchable since the Hader, Wiig, Sudekis, Armisen era ended.

Aside from the occasional great Kate McKinnon sketch.

I know the 80s had some inconsistent moments.

The early 90s were prolly the best the show has ever offered.

The late 90s/early 2000s were actually really good.

The last time the show had legitimate talent was the late 2000s/early 2010s.

This is all aside from the occasional great host that can change the reception of any episode.

Progessively bad with each passing year, eh? Congrats on getting old.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Thanks!!!

The tv ratings back me up tho.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
312player wrote:
Was never funny.

It’s always been more miss than hit but it’s gone from 3 or 4 good skits per show in the 70s to 1 if you’re lucky now. There has never been a show with more talent and less results than SNL.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:06 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Best skit Ever:
Billy Crystal College recruiter

Honorable mention
Peyton Manning United Way

Tom Foley...Down by the river

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:26 am 

Watched Synchronized Swimming with Martin Short, Harry Shearer, and Christopher Guest yesterday. Hilarious.