It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Handmaid's Tale
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I was following the shakes method of reviewing the bored and noticed this was not included in the first few pages. Anyone watching this? It aligns with the better half's viewing pleasure. Love, lust, depression, holding a good woman down etc. What I was surprised by was how frightening I found the overall premise. A year ago I don't believe I would have accepted the movie could foresee the future. Now, I am not so sure. I am not typically one to buy into this type of far fetched govt. run amok scenario. That disturbs the shit out of me. I mean Don Tiny submarine type shits.

Anyhoo, not horrible if you get a chance to watch. I guess a book series is out there somewhere. Some, maybe MANY, know about it and might know if it is any good and the series represents the written word appropriately.

Post subject: Re: Handmaid's Tale
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:43 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
beni hanna wrote:
I guess a book series is out there somewhere.

Yeah I guess The Handmaid's Tale was a book maybe. Citation needed.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2017/05/04 ... aids-tale/
Here's an interesting perspective on the series, I probably posted it already:

Quote:
It’s a challenge for the series (as it was for Volker Schlöndorff’s underrated 1990 film of the novel) to make it clear that the impregnation ceremony involving the Commander, the Handmaid, and the Commander’s Wife is a rape masquerading as a religious ritual and not soft-core group sex. As the camera focuses on Offred’s face, Moss registers alienation, horror, fear, grief—and resignation. Should it matter that the Commander is played by the handsome Joseph Fiennes? I’m not suggesting that it’s less odious to have nonconsensual sex with a man who looks like a movie star. But one can’t help thinking that we are watching something quite different, something more glamorized, than we would be were the Commander a troll.

Clearly, this represents a considered commercial decision. In an interview with Business Week, the showrunner, Bruce Miller, explained why the Commander and his wife have been made much younger and more attractive than their counterparts in Atwood’s novel and Schlöndorff’s film:

I felt that it was a more active dynamic if Serena Joy [the Commander’s Wife] felt like this person was usurping her role not only as the reproductive object of the house but gradually taking away the wifely duties, the intimate duties, the romantic, sexual duties… The two of them together, you feel like, “I’d love to see them go toe-to-toe in a cage match.”

Others may feel less eager to watch two women brawl in a cage, but it’s inarguably sexy: the face-off between the warm-hearted slave girl and the ice-cold-princess wife. The tensions between the lovely female rivals provide a frisson of soap-operatic melodrama, though their scenes together more frequently make one imagine a Mad Men episode in which Peggy (also Elisabeth Moss) battles Don Draper’s blond wife Betty, played by January Jones—whom Yvonne Strahovksi strongly resembles.

Perhaps I would have liked the series more if I’d sprung for the costlier Hulu subscription, the one without ads. As it was, the rebellious Handmaid getting her right eye gouged out and the lesbian Handmaid (in Gilead speak, a “gender traitor”) forced to watch her lover hanged were periodically interrupted by commercials for cars, Wells Fargo, whiskey, and, oddly, the Marines. I also wish I hadn’t seen, in late April, on the University of Southern California campus, two rows of women costumed in the Handmaids’ red robes and white bonnets, standing silently on the walkway—a spooky but effective promotional stunt for the series. Obviously, a great deal of money has been invested in producing and advertising the show, because someone hopes to make even more money from a stylish depiction of what women might be forced to endure if things get really bad.

Ultimately, Offred’s determination and grit make the series more heartening and inspiring: more feminist, one might say. But before Offred can demonstrate that grit, too many women’s fingers and hands have been lopped off as punishment for the crime of reading. To claim that Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale is feminist TV is like saying that bullfighting is an intentional defense of animal rights—because there is always a slim chance that, in the end, the bull may prevail.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
shakes approach needs to include using the search function. Here is the thread. I hate duplicates. Apologies to one and all.

http://chicagofanatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=106714&hilit=handmaid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Great show, like Beni said.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=106714

To rock my soul