It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Has anyone else downloaded the Star Wars Despecialized Edition for their home viewing of the Original Trilogy?

For those who don't know what the Despiecialized Edition is, it's basically the work of some dedicated fans in Europe who took the theatrical releases (which have not been available for retail sale since 1995's VHS box release) and upscaled them to 1080p. It gives you an HD version of the original Star Wars, as we saw it in our childhoods, without the fucking bullshit that George Lucas started adding to it in 1997. No fucking Gredo shooting first, no Hayden Christenson at the end of RotJ, etc.

If you haven't downloaded it, then I strongly suggest that you do so as it is really the only way to watch Star Wars as the crap that has been released from 1997- today is not the real Star Wars films.

Here is some background on the despecialized editions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmy%27s ... ed_Edition

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Has anyone else downloaded the Star Wars Despecialized Edition for their home viewing of the Original Trilogy?

For those who don't know what the Despiecialized Edition is, it's basically the work of some dedicated fans in Europe who took the theatrical releases (which have not been available for retail sale since 1995's VHS box release) and upscaled them to 1080p. It gives you an HD version of the original Star Wars, as we saw it in our childhoods, without the fucking bullshit that George Lucas started adding to it in 1997. No fucking Gredo shooting first, no Hayden Christenson at the end of RotJ, etc.

If you haven't downloaded it, then I strongly suggest that you do so as it is really the only way to watch Star Wars as the crap that has been released from 1997- today is not the real Star Wars films.

You are a very angry man,you know that ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: ....
chaspoppcap wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

You are a very angry man,you know that ?

He's right, though.

Nothing disappointed me more than watching the altered BS with my kids and having them not see the original magic.

Felt similarly a few weeks ago when we all went to Santa's Village and they pretty much cut the balls off the Firetruck Ride after already removing the signature overhead wire tram a few years earlier. Now, the kid firefighters shoot their hoses not at a little mini house that was on actual fire, but a big ass storage shed with a smoke machine and some orange lights. Stupid.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I remember I bought the Trilogy box set in VHS with the THX widescreen remastering. Back then I thought I would be set for life and
never need to buy another version ever again :lol: I think I ended up giving it away with my dozens and dozens of other VHS tapes
about 10 years ago. I never realized that the messed up Lucas version was what was considered the "standard" these days. I haven't
watched it on TV in years. I'd agree that shouldn't be the version that people be shown.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: ....
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

link?

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Yeah. I'd prefer the original or at least not the one with Han walking over CGI Jaba's tail.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:52 am 

Panther pislA wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

link?

You can get it via torrent, it's the only way to get it. Just go to Pirate bay and search Star Wars Despecialized and it will pop right up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:54 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I remember I bought the Trilogy box set in VHS with the THX widescreen remastering. Back then I thought I would be set for life and
never need to buy another version ever again :lol: I think I ended up giving it away with my dozens and dozens of other VHS tapes
about 10 years ago. I never realized that the messed up Lucas version was what was considered the "standard" these days. I haven't
watched it on TV in years. I'd agree that shouldn't be the version that people be shown.

That THX widescreen was the last release of the OT as it should have been.

Plenty of directors will make edits after their film has been released, however all of them (except for Lucas) will also make sure the original version you grew up with is available as well so that you had the choice to watch the version you wanted. As an example, Ridley Scott has something like 5 cuts of Blade Runner available, but he'll make sure all of them are purchasable so that you get the version you want. What George Lucas did to the OT was nothing short of cultural vandalism... Of course in 1988 he testified before Congress to condemn others who were doing the same. What he then did in the 90s and '00s to the OT made that an all time WYC.

I honestly think the original trilogy was probably only successful because George Lucas had people there to tell him now and fix his mistake. By the time he started fiddling with the OT and making the PT, he had gotten rid of everyone else who had been there to tell him no. Gary Kurtz (who is the real hero of the OT) was long gone. I think if Lucas had the control of the OT that he had over the PT, there probably would've only been 1 Star Wars film made and it would've been a disaster. The original edit was reportedly a trainwreck that makes Suicide Squad look like a coherent movie. Paul Hirsch then stepped in and saved the film in editing.

Here is an interview with Gary Kurtz where he trashes the Special Editions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKpD_w58I30