It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I know this has been discussed before, but no idea where that thread is and not about to start looking.

I think I'm going to cut the cord. Been with DirecTV for nearly 25 years, but ever since they sold to AT&T the product has gone to shit. The sound and picture don't match up all the time. DTV solves this by telling me the receiver I have isn't very good, but it's the best one they have. They keep sending me new receivers. Went through 4 of them in the past year or so. Also, when I watch sports the action stutters some times. And the picture quality for sporting events is not very good. Supposed to be HD but often seems blurry.

And don't get me started on customer service. used to be the benchmark for DTV, but it has gone to total crap since the sale.

So I'm ready to get rid of it and go with streaming service.

I hear YoutubeTV is the best of the bunch. Does anyone here have that? Or a different service they like?

I have some questions...

1. with Youtube TV can you still get the Bulls games on NBC Sports?

2. Can you fast forward and rewind recordings that are currently being recorded? I.e. can I record a game, start watching it an hour later and liberally use the fast forward to skip commercials etc?

3. How does the picture quality compare to cable box HD?

4. I read that if you record a show off live TV and that show is also being offered ondemand you will get the ondemand version (with unskipable commercials) instead of the recorded live TV version. Is that true?

Are there any negatives with streaming that I'm not thinking of?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
this was a tough one to find, but i did. I had to search topics for the word "cutting"

http://chicagofanatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=103453&start=420&hilit=cutting

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:27 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Just go with an Xfinity contract. The "savings" you get from having just internet and any streaming option aren't enough to watch sports on a 10+ second delay. When that contract expires, you can always have your wife sign up to keep the cheap cable promotion.

Yes, YouTube is by far the best "live" streaming option.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Used to use brother in laws YouTube TV to watch the golf channel. I have had a lot of luck with Hulu with regards to sports and they also have some of their own programming which isn't too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:37 am 

Nas wrote:
Just go with an Xfinity contract. The "savings" you get from having just internet and any streaming option aren't enough to watch sports on a 10+ second delay. When that contract expires, you can always have your wife sign up to keep the cheap cable promotion.

What's wrong with watching sports on a 10 second delay? Keep in mind I watch 99% of sports on an hour delay as it is.

I'm more concerned with the DTV technical issues I have been experiencing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:43 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
shakes wrote:
Nas wrote:

What's wrong with watching sports on a 10 second delay? Keep in mind I watch 99% of sports on an hour delay as it is.

For you it probably won't matter, but I would have to cut my phone off and my computer if I watched sports on a significant delay. I don't currently have that level of self control.

You definitely wouldn't have many technical issues with cable. Looking at the prices of YouTube, it looks like you would actually be paying more for internet and YouTube than you would for cable and internet with Xfinity.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
YTTV is great. have had it for 3 years. it does everything you want it to do. NAS is right about price though if you are willing to play the games with comcast to get recurring introductory pricing. I do like be able to pull up YTTV on my phone whenever i want to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:28 am 

Nas wrote:
shakes wrote:
Nas wrote:

For you it probably won't matter, but I would have to cut my phone off and my computer if I watched sports on a significant delay. I don't currently have that level of self control.

You definitely wouldn't have many technical issues with cable. Looking at the prices of YouTube, it looks like you would actually be paying more for internet and YouTube than you would for cable and internet with Xfinity.

I do have Xfininty for internet so I assume they would give me a price on a bundle, but I'm hesitant to go with Xfinity for cable based on decades old bad reputation for comcast cable. has the service gotten better?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
shakes wrote:
Nas wrote:
shakes wrote:
Nas wrote:

I do have Xfininty for internet so I assume they would give me a price on a bundle, but I'm hesitant to go with Xfinity for cable based on decades old bad reputation for comcast cable. has the service gotten better?

Using xFinity for internet and then streaming service is likely the cheapest and best option. We're happy with the streaming service overall, but use an antenna for most live tv on local broadcast.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:00 pm 

Had Youtube TV for the last few years and we really enjoy it. HULU is good too from what I have heard. Not sure if this is still the case but we went with youtube for better DVR options.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:12 am 

billypootons wrote:
YTTV is great. have had it for 3 years. it does everything you want it to do. NAS is right about price though if you are willing to play the games with comcast to get recurring introductory pricing. I do like be able to pull up YTTV on my phone whenever i want to.

Do you get the Chicago regional sports channel with YTTV? Assuming you live in the Chicago area.

And do you get the local channels. I see people talking about antennas, but YTTV website says the local channels are included.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:15 am 

We get local stations down here on Youtube. So I would assume you would there as well.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Youtube TV has been awesome for us. I also enjoy that you can take it "on the road" with you on your mobile devices and it automatically links to the local stations of the area you are in. We are right on the edge between QC, Rockford and Chicago areas but get the QC locals which is fine by us. I believe you can go in and manually change your local area in your settings, though I haven't tried that. I think I have seen the setting in there though that allows you to. Picture quality is fantastic, no complaints there at all. There is definitely a delay that doesn't really bother me but it can be annoying when my son is watching the same game I am at school and shoots me a text about something that hasn't happened on my TV yet. I have learned to only look at texts during commercials.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I don't like how YouTube TV doesn't have numbered channels. Otherwise I guess it's fine. I really liked Vue, YouTube seems like a downgrade.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
What’s everyone using now since YoutubeTV lost Disney, ESPN, etc.? Trying Hulu live tv atm. Interface is terrible and laggy on my new chromecast with google tv. May try Directv stream next

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
https://www.directv.com/stream/channel-lineup/

69.69 package gets you ESPN, Disney as well as the other major sports channels.

Big 10 network, SEC, NBA TV, MLB TV kick in at the 85$ level, which also brings various regional sports networks as a bonus

95$ level pretty much maxes out sports: NHL network starts showing up, Golf channel, the other Fox sports.

if you don't want those specialty channels, the 69$ base package should be sufficient.

They have a $120 or $5 a month box with remote, but you can also use a Fire stick or Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast or just your smart tv to access the app.

As long as you're on your home network, you can have 20 different streams running simultaneously.
Up to 3 away from home.

https://clark.com/streaming-tv/att-tv-review

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
My son has comcast and he keeps it because it has good internet plus you can stream it anywhere. On the phone, on other tv's, etc.. Netflix is built in too along with all the major apps like hulu, amazon prime, disney plus, etc...

He says you no longer need extra boxes for other tv's cause you can stream everything thru the phone.

He got a good deal for it for 2 years so he's keeping it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: joes pizza
WL Bill wrote:
What’s everyone using now since YoutubeTV lost Disney, ESPN, etc.? Trying Hulu live tv atm. Interface is terrible and laggy on my new chromecast with google tv. May try Directv stream next

espn is back

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:01 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
moonpies wrote:
WL Bill wrote:

espn is back

Was gone barely 24 hours and still got the $15 credit.