It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The X-Files Season 11
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:43 am 

This show has seemed to decided to revel in lunacy and silliness in its new incarnation. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's just over the top. That happened a few times in Season 10. It's balancing out a little better this time.

However, the next episode, penned by legend Darin Morgan, really looks ridiculous. Even its title, "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat", sounds like Morgan is really trying his hardest to be oddball. He pulled it off extremely well in the first run of the series. But last season's episode he wrote was a real dud.

So far, Glen Morgan's episode, "This", has been the most entertaining. not just because it "brought back" the Gunmen, but it just had that old "X-Files' feel. This was also present in Morgan & Wong's contribution last season, "Founder's Mutation".

Carter seems to just want to have some sick fun, especially in the 1st episode where he puts a really disturbing twist on Scully's son William.

and Gillian Anderson really sounds horrible. i don't know what's going on with her healthwise but it sounds like she's got something.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:35 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
It's been rough so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
It really has been all over the place, but I find myself enjoying it. I liked ‘Plus One’ last night, it really did feel like the good old school monster of the week ep.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Think that was one of my favorite episodes in the series.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:43 pm 

Not as clever and understated as his earlier episodes (I’m not a huge fan of Brian Huskey), but this is Darin Morgan’s opus of the reboot. I laughed out loud a few times and found it fun going back to classic episodes with new flashbacks. And I love the last few lines. Perfect ending.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:11 am 

i have to say...this season is...*good*. the last two have been really fun, and it's actually getting into a nice rhythm. besides chris carter's mad scientist fucking with the audience BS in the season premiere, it's really settled into a season that now could at least rival 7 or 8.

still can't touch 1-5 at this point though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I started to watch the other night because nothing else was on really. I was never a really big fan but thought why not. It was the episode with the viet nam vet/monster thing. Just could not get me hooked. I bailed after 20 minutes.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:17 am 

W_Z wrote:
This show has seemed to decided to revel in lunacy and silliness in its new incarnation. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's just over the top. That happened a few times in Season 10. It's balancing out a little better this time.

However, the next episode, penned by legend Darin Morgan, really looks ridiculous. Even its title, "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat", sounds like Morgan is really trying his hardest to be oddball. He pulled it off extremely well in the first run of the series. But last season's episode he wrote was a real dud.

So far, Glen Morgan's episode, "This", has been the most entertaining. not just because it "brought back" the Gunmen, but it just had that old "X-Files' feel. This was also present in Morgan & Wong's contribution last season, "Founder's Mutation".

Carter seems to just want to have some sick fun, especially in the 1st episode where he puts a really disturbing twist on Scully's son William.

and Gillian Anderson really sounds horrible. i don't know what's going on with her healthwise but it sounds like she's got something.

She looked and sounded great in a key role in American Gods first season. It was also a great acting performance on her part.

Talking about acting roles that brother and sister played by the same person in Episode 1 was excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:18 pm 

This was a mostly entertaining season, even if the last 2 episodes kind of clanged and plodded. the finale leaves a lot open, and with the idea of scully not returning...right now, it's a real dud.

however, for the majority of the season, i was very happy with what i saw. there seemed to be a return to the glory days as it went along.

the highlights for me were:

"This"
"Plus One"
"The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat"
"Ghouli"
"Rm9sbG93ZXJz" - probably my favorite episode, and worked like "Black Mirror"
"Familiar"

"Nothing Lasts Forever" had a good premise but it seemed a bit cheaply written. I love gore, but it didn't really go anywhere interesting.

This is probably the strongest season of "The X-Files" since Season 6. not high praise, but i enjoyed it a lot more than i thought i would.