It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I saw the pilot for this last week and it was solid. This show is probably next on my list.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Considerably less tits after the first episode, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:30 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Considerably less tits after the first episode, unfortunately.

doubt we will ever see those milkers again ever. Those were bait to reel us in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Did you guys know the little chick who plays her manager is Lois from Family Guy? I had no clue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:23 pm 

Episode 1 was pretty good

Typical of a Netflix show in the third season the budget has obviously grown exponentially leading to overproduction

Also they obviously put in a line item for a body double for midge. You got the one and only look you will ever get of her cans in season 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:46 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Episode 1 was pretty good

Typical of a Netflix show in the third season the budget has obviously grown exponentially leading to overproduction

Also they obviously put in a line item for a body double for midge. You got the one and only look you will ever get of her cans in season 1

Netflix show?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:23 pm 

Whatever. I’m old.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:00 am 

Ok, boomer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:51 pm 

best show on TV IMO. I'm halfway through the recent season, it's been great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:57 am 

I have one more episode to go. It's just an enjoyable show to watch.

The hidden truth, and the producers seemed to have understood it this season, is that the parents are the funniest part of this show. Why would it not be with the talent assembled for that group. Tony Sholub and Kevin Pollock are probably the top two talents in that cast. This year the Rose Wiseman character has really been allowed to spread her wings and she has been fantastic. Pretty MILFy as well.

They writers toyed ever so closely with a jump the shark moment with Midge and Lenny Bruce. I thought they were going to do it and then smartly pulled away at the last minute. I think it is really critical to the show that he remain as a Platonic mentor.

I think they squeeze far too much dialogue into far too little space and (as always) the standup isn't that funny but I really do like this show.

Jane Lynch's expanded role this year has also been fantastic. She is essentially playing two characters and doing it well. I love it when she plays a kind of aloof patrician in her roles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I didn't think that Season 3 was as compelling as Seasons 1 or 2, but it was still good.

I agree that Midge's parents, and Joel's father, are often more interesting than Midge. Tony Shaloub has stolen the show the last two seasons. Marin Hinkle is MILFy.

I hope they are done with Lynch's Sopie character. IMO that character drags the show down.

I wonder if Mei and Shy will be back in Season 4?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:46 pm 

Coolest part of this show is the how often they do entire scenes in one shot. Massively choreographed scenes, they feel like more of a dance number than a scene from a tv show. Very impressive to watch it all unfold and marvel at all the moving parts that went into each shot. It's almost like an OK Go video.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:19 am 

I have now finished the season.

Great year.

They introduced some new characters that will lead through season 4. They ended a couple of very good story lines with characters who will never be seen again.

The communist thing kind of went nowhere but it looks like it's gone and never coming back. The two female parents really shone this season. Great casting with two women who seem to really understand their characters.

Is Queens really that bad? They keep making jokes but the parents are living in a beautiful house.

I really like how the Wisemans, while purposely being a stereotype, are also being developed as characters.

I assume Midge doesn't have the money to buy the place now that her tour was cancelled (or does she? I couldn't figure out why they were doing in the scene with her and Moishe. A futures contract isn't collateral and she said she had the money). Suzy got Midge back her money.

I guess it will be back to doing voice work for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
i know her role is pretty small, but Zelda is a really funny, nuanced character. Her reactions to the madness going on around her always make me laugh. The scene where Rose finds Zelda out of her uniform kicking back watching TV in the kitchen with Shirley was pretty funny.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
i know her role is pretty small, but Zelda is a really funny, nuanced character. Her reactions to the madness going on around her always make me laugh. The scene where Rose finds Zelda out of her uniform kicking back watching TV in the kitchen with Shirley was pretty funny.

agreed, or when she works for them while on her break at the house down the block

Is she the woman who played Tony's one legged girlfriend in The Sopranos?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's

:lol: She is a good character. I liked when she gently knocked on the Weissman's bedroom door and asked if she could come in to just sit quitely and get away from the Maisel's nonsense.

good dolphin wrote:
They introduced some new characters that will lead through season 4. They ended a couple of very good story lines with characters who will never be seen again.

Which characters do you think will return and which do you think are gone?

good dolphin wrote:
The communist thing kind of went nowhere but it looks like it's gone and never coming back.

It seemed like the writers really went out of their way to portray the communists as buffoons and hypocrites.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:33 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:

:lol: She is a good character. I liked when she gently knocked on the Weissman's bedroom door and asked if she could come in to just sit quitely and get away from the Maisel's nonsense.

good dolphin wrote:

Which characters do you think will return and which do you think are gone?

good dolphin wrote:
The communist thing kind of went nowhere but it looks like it's gone and never coming back.

It seemed like the writers really went out of their way to portray the communists as buffoons and hypocrites.

Gone

Shy Baldwin
Sophie Lennon

Expanded

Mai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:59 am 

Season 4.

The above post is incorrect. Shy is back for a moment and Lennon has big and memorable moments.

I didn't like the first episode or so. The rest has been fantastic. They have really let this show evolve beyond just Midge. All the other characters are getting expanded stories, including Joel, and they are all killing it. Jason Alexander gets a great run this season and is back to Costanza levels of funny.

I'd watch this show if Midge were just a back story. The parents and in laws are a show on their own.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:52 am 

I finished four.

Very enjoyable. As I've said, the parents are the stars of this show. The mom delivers possibly the best stand up in the entire four seasons when she is hypnotized and imitating her daughter. She was also great (as were all the women) in the scene of the sit down of the five families of matchmaking.

I don't know where they are going with the mobsters. The guys provide comedic relief but I don't need this to get heavy. I like Susie and all but I don't need this show to become a story of her growth as an agent.

I imagine this has at least a couple of seasons left as none of the stars are so big that they will have money thrown at them from the outside. The writing is at its peak right now. They may have jumped the shark with Lenny Bruce.

Mr. Skin moment- you get a bit more of Rachel Brosnahan in Ep 7. Honestly, I expected a little better. Not bad, mind you, but I'd think a 30 year old who hasn't had kids would have spent some time tightening up knowing she was going to show some rear on a hit show. She has a cuteness about her.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
good dolphin wrote:
Mr. Skin moment- you get a bit more of Rachel Brosnahan in Ep 7. Honestly, I expected a little better. Not bad, mind you, but I'd think a 30 year old who hasn't had kids would have spent some time tightening up knowing she was going to show some rear on a hit show. She has a cuteness about her.

Is there anything else besides this and the end of the pilot episode? I need to know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:30 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Is there anything else besides this and the end of the pilot episode? I need to know.

I don't think so

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
I have now finished the season.

Great year.

The communist thing kind of went nowhere but it looks like it's gone and never coming back. The two female parents really shone this season. Great casting with two women who seem to really understand their characters.

Is Queens really that bad? They keep making jokes but the parents are living in a beautiful house.

I really like how the Wisemans, while purposely being a stereotype, are also being developed as characters.

I assume Midge doesn't have the money to buy the place now that her tour was cancelled (or does she? I couldn't figure out why they were doing in the scene with her and Moishe. A futures contract isn't collateral and she said she had the money). Suzy got Midge back her money.

I guess it will be back to doing voice work for a while.

I'm going to switch over to this. I can't take Barry and all the pussyfooting around.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Too write-ery for me

The lesbian co star is the voice of Lois Griffen, Family Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:32 am 

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Too write-ery for me

The lesbian co star is the voice of Lois Griffen, Family Guy

she's shown no romantic interest towards anyone throughout the show, even when midge brought her to a lesbian bar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:38 am 

final season 5 has been available for a bit. I'm two episodes in.

I don't like the harsh turn this seems to have taken. The grown daughter does a spot on Rachel Brosnahan playing Midge imitation. The show is following Joan Rivers life much too closely. I thought it was supposed to be an amalgamation of female comics of the time.

We'll see how this evolves, but I don't want a sad finish for the characters in an otherwise happy show. They have already told you the future as the season is more of an old Midge reminiscing on her life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shakes wrote:
The main star is really good...and pretty hot...and she has amazing tits which you see in Ep 1. And she's from Milwaukee.

I'm pretty sure she's from Highland Park. Looks like you missed your chance to bag her in the Charlie Beinlich's parking lot.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: This comment.

We're watching this now...halfway through season 3.
Great show

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:57 am 

It turns out, I really liked the last season. It was a different tone, almost a show onto itself.

They had a lot of background information they wanted to tell and spent at least a couple of episodes on expository. It was done in a unique way, especially with the Friar's Club roast.

The last episode was a bit too preachy with girl power. You had all these women doing their thing on display to the viewer. You didn't need to treat us like dimwits and have to explain the struggles of a woman breaking into comedy in that era. They fumbled the last scene. It should have faded to black with Midge's appearance on Gordon Ford's show.

If you want to see one of the finest bits of acting I have ever seen anywhere, see the last episode where Tony Sholub is dining with his friends. All four of the actors deserve some kind of award recognition for that. It wasn't comedy. It was deep and important and relevant for the ages, performed perfectly by the actors in the scene. It was like a perfect father's day gift. However it was applicable to any parent and any child for that matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAuLnyg4p9U

makes me want to hug my boys, knowing I haven't parented them all the same (correctly so) and how that has affected who they are.

that is not the entire scene and I cannot find it. It's probably close to 10 minutes. Here is more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KEIH5yZVc

Again, the one thing that keeps bothering me about the show is that its about a stand up comic but the stand up isn't funny. The crowd all belly laughs but it just is really weak comedic writing. Brosnahan delivers it well but the words themselves are a snooze. The rest of the show is funny though, which makes the stand up even more incongruous.

It was a great show.