It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Eddie can wail on the scales! Otherwise, he ain't all that.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
GoldenJet wrote:

Actually he did more melodic chord playing with Hagar as he aged. IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
pittmike wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Hang up on yourself.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:36 pm 

pittmike wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Keep this thread on topic.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6zTXPN_PPo

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:38 pm 

The Fast and the Furious movies suck.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:38 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Yeah on vh2 as well. I take it back.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The Fast and the Furious movies suck.

So does the poster

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:41 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Yeah on vh2 as well. I take it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ9pYwCKopE

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Well, God = religion.
And Clapton = God

Chazz: Who'd win in a wresting match? Lemmy or God?

Chris: Lemmy.

Chris: ... God?

Rex: Wrong, dickhead. Trick question. Lemmy *IS* God.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I started believing in a fair and just God just this Saturday right around the time Jason Servis's horse was disqualified from first in the Kentucky Derby.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Well, God = religion.
And Clapton = God

Chazz: Who'd win in a wresting match? Lemmy or God?

Chris: Lemmy.

Chris: ... God?

Rex: Wrong, dickhead. Trick question. Lemmy *IS* God.

This. Clapton :roll: Keep it.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Nardi makes points that are not absurd really. God and the thought of one or a few even can be a spiritual or philosophical for some rather than dogma and religion. Regardless of how he defined or explained it the human nature does have some level of internal inquisitiveness that made survival possible so why not also a desire to find the meaning of life and/or God?

It seems to me unimportant if you have biblical type beliefs or scientific for your private considerations. Even the most non believers in a supreme being have to still be puzzled by what happened or existed just a microsecond before the Big Bang.

I guess people just can't help themselves attaching the religion amendment to the thesis. Even the poster boy for science(DeGrasse Tyson) has begrudgingly endorsed a higher power creation, albeit simulation theory.

Well, God = religion.

A rational argument for the existence of God is not religion. When divine providence is added, that is religion.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:32 am 

Nardi wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Nardi makes points that are not absurd really. God and the thought of one or a few even can be a spiritual or philosophical for some rather than dogma and religion. Regardless of how he defined or explained it the human nature does have some level of internal inquisitiveness that made survival possible so why not also a desire to find the meaning of life and/or God?

It seems to me unimportant if you have biblical type beliefs or scientific for your private considerations. Even the most non believers in a supreme being have to still be puzzled by what happened or existed just a microsecond before the Big Bang.

I guess people just can't help themselves attaching the religion amendment to the thesis. Even the poster boy for science(DeGrasse Tyson) has begrudgingly endorsed a higher power creation, albeit simulation theory.

Well, God = religion.

A rational argument for the existence of God is not religion. When divine providence is added, that is religion.

What is God without divine providence?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: John's

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:54 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Well, God = religion.

What is God without divine providence?

The creator.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:11 pm 

:lol: ok.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Are you talking about ongoing intervention? There could be a dead or disinterested God.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:33 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Are you talking about ongoing intervention? There could be a dead or disinterested God.

Those aren't the only possibilities. One being the universe was made for a purpose. They say necessity is the mother of invention. If you can wrap your head around that the possibilities become numerous. Frankly, atheists are in the shallow end of the pool and they're stuck there. No matter how they try to escape, they're right back where they started because every theory ends up having to have a beginning. So they lash out, RELIGION. Doesn't do them any good though.

Last edited by Nardi on Tue May 07, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nardi wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Those aren't the only possibilities. One being the universe was made for a purpose. They say necessity is the mother of invention. If you can wrap your head around that the possibilities become numerous. Frankly, atheists are in the shallow end of the pool and their stuck there. No matter how they try to escape, they're right back where they started because every theory ends up having to have a beginning. So they lash out, RELIGION. Doesn't do them any good though.

So the only possible explanation is religion? Frankly, that seems rather shallow.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:38 pm 

Maybe. But if it isn’t right to pick on believers and their theory the the opposite has to be true. The atheist can believe what they are told is proof. Or they can even choose to not be bothered by it at all. I find it hard not to wonder about something though looking up at a clear unlit light at a million stars.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Those aren't the only possibilities. One being the universe was made for a purpose. They say necessity is the mother of invention. If you can wrap your head around that the possibilities become numerous. Frankly, atheists are in the shallow end of the pool and their stuck there. No matter how they try to escape, they're right back where they started because every theory ends up having to have a beginning. So they lash out, RELIGION. Doesn't do them any good though.

So the only possible explanation is religion? Frankly, that seems rather shallow.

I prefer to think of God in a religious sense but I just got done explaining that there are non-religious possibilities.

There's always a beginning, and something can't come from nothing. I wish we could get off the religion aspect but that seems to be impossible.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:11 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Maybe. But if it isn’t right to pick on believers and their theory the the opposite has to be true. The atheist can believe what they are told is proof. Or they can even choose to not be bothered by it at all. I find it hard not to wonder about something though looking up at a clear unlit light at a million stars.

I'm attempting to appeal to the atheist. Simulation theory appeals to the atheist.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:30 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Those aren't the only possibilities. One being the universe was made for a purpose. They say necessity is the mother of invention. If you can wrap your head around that the possibilities become numerous. Frankly, atheists are in the shallow end of the pool and they're stuck there. No matter how they try to escape, they're right back where they started because every theory ends up having to have a beginning. So they lash out, RELIGION. Doesn't do them any good though.

You said there were only two possibilities. I have no idea what you are talking about now.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:59 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You said there were only two possibilities. I have no idea what you are talking about now.

All I'm doing is responding to what you say. You said God=religion. I said there are other possibilities that God does not equal religion. I'm disappointed you start something and then can't follow along.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:05 am 

Nardi wrote:
All I'm doing is responding to what you say. You said God=religion. I said there are other possibilities that God does not equal religion. I'm disappointed you start something and then can't follow along.
This is what started it.
Nardi wrote:
Listen, I was agnostic. I didn't much care because I was young and full of myself. Then I cared so I looked into it pretty extensively doing my best to use reason and be rational. I came out the other end with 2 possibilities. God and an alien kid in his basement running a computer program. So I choose God.

In this case, God=religion. It's the concept that someone who was intelligent created our entire existence with a purpose. This is the fundamental basis of religion. It doesn't matter how active they are in it today or not. The concept of an intelligent creator(God) is religion. You can explain otherwise but you really have to stretch things to the point of making the whole definition useless by basically making any start of the universe a "creator" even if it was just a random collection of molecules.

Going back to the original point though, there is a pretty obvious third option, though it is the most depressing of all which is that we are basically the most advanced known chemical reactions in the universe. We exist just as the animals and plants do and for the same purpose which is to survive.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:10 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
This is what started it.
Nardi wrote:
Listen, I was agnostic. I didn't much care because I was young and full of myself. Then I cared so I looked into it pretty extensively doing my best to use reason and be rational. I came out the other end with 2 possibilities. God and an alien kid in his basement running a computer program. So I choose God.

In this case, God=religion. It's the concept that someone who was intelligent created our entire existence with a purpose. This is the fundamental basis of religion. It doesn't matter how active they are in it today or not. The concept of an intelligent creator(God) is religion. You can explain otherwise but you really have to stretch things to the point of making the whole definition useless by basically making any start of the universe a "creator" even if it was just a random collection of molecules.

Going back to the original point though, there is a pretty obvious third option, though it is the most depressing of all which is that we are basically the most advanced known chemical reactions in the universe. We exist just as the animals and plants do and for the same purpose which is to survive.

Circled back again. Every chemical had a beginning, was created.

God could be a spiritual being, all knowing, and timeless. That would be religion. God could have accidently created, had no idea what he had done, and then went on his merry way, oblivious.

Lots of people on their high horses say there doesn't have to be a beginning. These are also the same people who look at every single other thing and say, a caused b, and b caused c. Everything has to go back to an unmoved or primal mover(see Aristotle, Thomas Aquinas, Edward Feser), and there is zero chance of getting around that.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:21 am 

Nardi wrote:
Lots of people on their high horses say there doesn't have to be a beginning. These are also the same people who look at every single other thing and say, a caused b, and b caused c. Everything has to go back to an unmoved or primal mover(see Aristotle, Thomas Aquinas, Edward Feser), and there is zero chance of getting around that.

Another way of thinking about the Big Bang is that someone or something put it into motion. Newton's first law of motion states that "An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force." Who or what put things in motion?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
pittmike wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Another way of thinking about the Big Bang is that someone or something put it into motion. Newton's first law of motion states that "An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force." Who or what put things in motion?

God has always been the answer to explain the unexplainable. As every decade passes, God explains less.

But in so far as human knowledge has been keeping score, Science is up approximately 10,000 to 0 on God, in things that can be explained.

God needs a coaching change...or maybe a good draft.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:49 am 

Nardi wrote:
Circled back again. Every chemical had a beginning, was created.

God could be a spiritual being, all knowing, and timeless. That would be religion. God could have accidently created, had no idea what he had done, and then went on his merry way, oblivious.
It is certainly possible that chemicals were created by an intelligent being but it also clearly is not the only possible option.
Nardi wrote:
This is further eroding your own point because no matter where you move it down the line, something had to exist that didn't have a beginning. Let's go with your accepted theory that "God" either accidentally or on purpose created everything we have and then disappeared. He either didn't have a beginning or he falls under the same concepts that you think prove his existence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next