It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Nardi wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Pretty sure we were genetically engineered by those who were referred to as Gods.

Don't start this vicious circle.

Listen, I was agnostic. I didn't much care because I was young and full of myself. Then I cared so I looked into it pretty extensively doing my best to use reason and be rational. I came out the other end with 2 possibilities. God and an alien kid in his basement running a computer program. So I choose God.

Don't take my word for it. Check out Quantum physics, string theory, multi-universe, the apparent fine tuning of the universe, the internal workings of a biological cell. Read agnostics and atheists who switched sides. Read people of faith who then turned atheist. Honestly, if you care enough to know, find out for yourself.

Maybe I'm arguing semantics, but it is a hard jump from that to DNA. I do find fractal geometry and quantum mechanics fascinating though.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:17 am 

Nardi wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Pretty sure we were genetically engineered by those who were referred to as Gods.

Listen, I was agnostic. I didn't much care because I was young and full of myself. Then I cared so I looked into it pretty extensively doing my best to use reason and be rational. I came out the other end with 2 possibilities. God and an alien kid in his basement running a computer program. So I choose God.

Don't take my word for it. Check out Quantum physics, string theory, multi-universe, the apparent fine tuning of the universe, the internal workings of a biological cell. Read agnostics and atheists who switched sides. Read people of faith who then turned atheist. Honestly, if you care enough to know, find out for yourself.
If those are your only 2 possibilities then you really shouldn't be trusted. It's impossible to not think that we aren't simply living the same cycle of life that every other animal in history has in which we exist for our time on Earth and play our role and then that is it. Did the dinosaurs have an afterlife? What about mosquitoes?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Oh, gosh... they're debating the existence of God in the "Three Billboards Outside Ebbings MO" thread... again.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

If those are your only 2 possibilities then you really shouldn't be trusted. It's impossible to not think that we aren't simply living the same cycle of life that every other animal in history has in which we exist for our time on Earth and play our role and then that is it. Did the dinosaurs have an afterlife? What about mosquitoes?

Who said anything about an afterlife? Who said I disagree about the cycle of life? I'm telling about my experience about the question of a creator.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:27 am 

Nardi wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Who said anything about an afterlife? Who said I disagree about the cycle of life? I'm telling about my experience about the question of a creator.

Life is nasty, brutish, a little too long IMO, and largely accidental.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:32 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Life is nasty, brutish, a little too long IMO, and largely accidental.

It's been evolutionary since the big bang. The question is, was it all in the blueprints?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Nardi wrote:
Plenty of circumstantial proof. From the coded genes to the universe that was CREATED on a razor's edge as far as being life bearing. Science is the study of how God did it. Science and God will meet someday. The only other tenable option is that this is a simulation and I am open to that idea because science says something can't come from nothing. The multi universe theory is garbage. String theory is a dead end.

Behold, the birth of the universe!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:34 am 

Nardi wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Well, if there is no afterlife, then virtually every religion that has ever existed is 100% wrong.

It's pointing out the flaw in your enlightened view that in the whole history of the world you have come up with the only 2 possible explanations.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:36 am 

Did Nardi say he subscribed to a religion?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
leashyourkids wrote:

He’s a Mormon.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:38 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

He’s a Mormon.

Totes jealous.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:38 am 

Nardi wrote:
It's been evolutionary since the big bang. The question is, was it all in the blueprints?

I agree there are immutable patterns in the universe. Or maybe we just understand and process certain random elements as patterns. Are you familiar with Deism? It's the notion that God is a watchmaker. Built it, wound it, set it aside, let it do it's own thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:40 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
He said there were only two possible answers. One of which was God and he chooses that one. That is subscribing to religion.

pizza_Place: John's
Telegram Sam wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I agree there are immutable patterns in the universe. Or maybe we just understand and process certain random elements as patterns. Are you familiar with Deism? It's the notion that God is a watchmaker. Built it, wound it, set it aside, let it do it's own thing.

How does a watch do it's own thing? It moves in a circular pattern at a programmed rate. It doesn't switch directions or change speeds.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Well, if there is no afterlife, then virtually every religion that has ever existed is 100% wrong.

It's pointing out the flaw in your enlightened view that in the whole history of the world you have come up with the only 2 possible explanations.

I've been pretty specific. I don't know where the whole history of the world comes in to the conversation. I only veered when I talked about DNA being hard wired to faith. I didn't specify any religion, only the desire to find the Creator.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:41 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Nardi wrote:

How does a watch do it's own thing? It moves in a circular pattern at a programmed rate. It doesn't switch directions or change speeds.

Entropy.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:47 am 

Nardi wrote:
I've been pretty specific. I don't know where the whole history of the world comes in to the conversation. I only veered when I talked about DNA being hard wired to faith. I didn't specify any religion, only the desire to find the Creator.
You said there were only two possiblities. One of them is God. The other is we are on a computer of an alien. You choose God.

I know you aren't specifying a specific religion, but you are using the concept of religion.

Maybe you aren't thinking large enough.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:50 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Entropy.

There's a theory that evolution picked life because it speeds up entropy.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:31 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I'm more of a Deni$ism kinda guy.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Nardi makes points that are not absurd really. God and the thought of one or a few even can be a spiritual or philosophical for some rather than dogma and religion. Regardless of how he defined or explained it the human nature does have some level of internal inquisitiveness that made survival possible so why not also a desire to find the meaning of life and/or God?

It seems to me unimportant if you have biblical type beliefs or scientific for your private considerations. Even the most non believers in a supreme being have to still be puzzled by what happened or existed just a microsecond before the Big Bang.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:33 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Nardi makes points that are not absurd really.

Way to take a stand, Mike.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:41 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Nardi makes points that are not absurd really.

Way to take a stand, Mike.

I find it hard to stand so staunchly on the God related stuff. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I started believing in a fair and just God just this Saturday right around the time Jason Servis's horse was disqualified from first in the Kentucky Derby.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:08 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Nardi makes points that are not absurd really. God and the thought of one or a few even can be a spiritual or philosophical for some rather than dogma and religion. Regardless of how he defined or explained it the human nature does have some level of internal inquisitiveness that made survival possible so why not also a desire to find the meaning of life and/or God?

It seems to me unimportant if you have biblical type beliefs or scientific for your private considerations. Even the most non believers in a supreme being have to still be puzzled by what happened or existed just a microsecond before the Big Bang.

I guess people just can't help themselves attaching the religion amendment to the thesis. Even the poster boy for science(DeGrasse Tyson) has begrudgingly endorsed a higher power creation, albeit simulation theory.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:10 pm 

Nardi wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I guess people just can't help themselves attaching the religion amendment to the thesis. Even the poster boy for science(DeGrasse Tyson) has begrudgingly endorsed a higher power creation, albeit simulation theory.

The “what was going on before the Big Bang” game can be fun.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:11 pm 

We know very little. We just think we know stuff because the only basis for comparison is the past.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:14 pm 

Nardi wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Well, God = religion.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:16 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
We know very little. We just think we know stuff because the only basis for comparison is the past.

You can apply that to many things really. Look at what was considered certain long ago. You know like a flat earth or the sun revolves around us. Or the world will be over due to global warming ten years from 2000.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Well, God = religion.
And Clapton = God

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Well, God = religion.
And Clapton = God

I don’t believe in Clapton. I believe in EVH. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next