It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:40 am 

i fucking love this channel. it's one of the reasons i stick with cable. while some of the shows don't interest me, i'm all about true crime. this is how i rank the shows for my interest:

Web of Lies
See No Evil
Diabolical
Evil Lives Here
Unusual Suspects
Murder Calls
Obsession: Dark Desires
Your Worst Nightmare
Deadly Women
Fear Thy Neighbor
Wicked Attraction
Homicide Hunter

I also really liked the "Village of the Damned" special about the town in New York that just seemed "cursed" because of all the bad shit happening there in a very short span of time.

haven't watched "The Staircase" yet but that looks interesting too. Saw stuff on Jodi Arias and Drew Peterson that was good as well.

just a solid network for true crime, even if it sometimes goes a little overboard with the melodrama.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:45 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Great channel.

I would add Nightmare Next Door and Murder comes to Town.

Joe Kenda is probably a huge D-bag, but you’d definitely want him investigating your murder.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:51 am 

i knew there'd be a few i would miss.

yeah i think that's what makes kenda a great detective. i think you kinda have to have his attitude to survive as long as he did, and be as successful.

from what i read, he was initially asked to read from a script. but he said he wasn't comfortable doing that, and he just started rattling off stories. the crew was so impressed that they just let him go and used that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:54 am 

W_Z wrote:
i knew there'd be a few i would miss.

yeah i think that's what makes kenda a great detective. i think you kinda have to have his attitude to survive as long as he did, and be as successful.

from what i read, he was initially asked to read from a script. but he said he wasn't comfortable doing that, and he just started rattling off stories. the crew was so impressed that they just let him go and used that.

Yup. You want an egomaniac in a position like that. Dude would probably commit a murder to solve one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:10 am 

that's why there's the old saying "think like a killer to catch one".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:11 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Great channel, my only beef is the real life victims- killers look nothing like the actors casted. Also.. The chubby host with a perm looks like he is smelling a dirty diaper when the camera pans to him everytime.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:16 am 

312player wrote:
Great channel, my only beef is the real life victims- killers look nothing like the actors casted. Also.. The chubby host with a perm looks like he is smelling a dirty diaper when the camera pans to him everytime.

Yeah, the actors are always good looking (I’m just assuming on the male actors).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Your Worst Nightmare and Web of Lies are awesome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:15 am 

Deadly Demands has some good ones too. finally got to see a full-on treatment of Richard Farley, complete with hostage negotiation calls.

i don't mind the "hot actor/actress" reenactment treatment. in one case of Murder Calls, there was one actress who deserves to be in actual movies she was so hot.

i like the details to the process of gathering evidence, and putting the puzzle together the best.

i think that's why See No Evil is so satisfying. seeing all that surveillance footage is pretty cool. even if a bit creepy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 am 

"Breaking Homicide" was interesting but seemed staged at times. the case itself was pretty depressing, about the little girl who was raped & murdered in a park near her home. they present a strong case against the stepfather of her best friend. i'd like to keep up on this story now that they've turned in what they found to the police. i wonder if they can still pin it on that guy. i somehow doubt it though.

also watched a new "Disappeared" with a girl who went missing on a cruise and there's a chance she was sold into sex slavery. she'd be in her mid 40's now. even if that were the case, i highly doubt she'd still be alive now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:24 pm 

Their new show, “Twisted Sisters”, is really off. I’ve watched a few episodes and none of them have really had to do with crazy sisters. They’re all real stretches. Figures this uneven series is fronted by a Kardashian.

The format is also clunky. I rarely like hearing the un-mic’d Interviewer break in the recording and ask a question. It happens constantly in this show.

It has promise but i haven’t been able to really get into it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Watching ID channel leads to the conclusions:

if you're male and your wife/significant other turns up murdered and the police don't have a red-handed suspect, best to hire an atty and cut the best deal you can--even if you were on the other side of the planet in a coma when she was killed.

women who kill their husbands and then try to deny it are crazy. All a woman who offs her husband has to do is say "yeah i killed the bastard, he used to hog the remote and leave his dirty socks on the floor" and they'll get a slap-on-the-wrist manslaughter sentence + a book/Lifetime movie-film deal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:55 pm 

Bump.

Our old friend Joe Kenda is all over this channel (streaming: Discovery+) now with another upcoming show that goes something like "Killer Without a Face" or something. He retired from his own show to...host...other shows.

New season of "Undercover Underage" coming out in May. This generation's "To Catch a Predator".

"Evil Lives Here" is still great. Some of the other shows have lost their way, especially my former favorite "Web of Lies". But "American Monster" is still strong as well.

Watched the whole doc 3-part "Jared from Subway: Catching a Monster". Knowing how these things work, there will probably also be an 8-part Netflix docuseries (Will there be a Season 2?), and a 5-part Amazon Prime and/or Hulu docuseries to follow. But this was exposing enough. I didn't know his cohort, Russell Taylor, exploited his own step-children and even more of a bombshell...his wife, their biological mother, encouraged it and wanted it to go further. There are some audio clips of him talking with a woman who became an informant for the FBI (and wrecked her family over it--except for her marriage, which ended before she got involved with him). Some really, really egregious and explicit shit that makes you think...he could get out in 6 years? He should spend the rest of his life behind bars. Hard prison.

It was also interesting to revisit those godawful Subway years of the aughts where you saw like a million commercials featuring Jared. I'll never forget him being on a CBS Pregame NFL Show being interviewed in around 2004 and thinking to myself..."can someone please find something on this guy and get him off my TV?" Only 11 years later, my prayers were answered.