It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Boys
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I’m with you, but I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately.

The show is so well acted, written, produced, over the top that it transcends political ideology.

Usually, the Homelander/Trump satire would annoy me, but the rest of the show is so fucking good I can overlook it.

Unlike the shit show that is Kenobi.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Jbi11s wrote:
I’m with you, but I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately.

The show is so well acted, written, produced, over the top that it transcends political ideology.

Usually, the Homelander/Trump satire would annoy me, but the rest of the show is so fucking good I can overlook it.

Unlike the shit show that is Kenobi.

Them making fun of SJWs helps balance The Boys out to a tolerable degree.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Not applying this to you guys, but I think it’s a long-standing expectation amongst conservatives that we’ll be mocked whereas liberals don’t know how to react when they’re satirized. Typically it’s a mix of anger and defensiveness.

So a show like this, which clearly serves as a takedown of the right, is perceived as a ‘both sides’ thing because they make fun of a person or two. Because there are a few gentle jokes against progressives mixed in with what people who’ve never met a republican think we believe.

Again, if I found liberal entertainment unwatchable I’d be short on content, but this show is aggressively left wing.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:02 pm 

Sure, but good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:04 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Not applying this to you guys, but I think it’s a long-standing expectation amongst conservatives that we’ll be mocked whereas liberals don’t know how to react when they’re satirized. Typically it’s a mix of anger and defensiveness.

So a show like this, which clearly serves as a takedown of the right, is perceived as a ‘both sides’ thing because they make fun of a person or two. Because there are a few gentle jokes against progressives mixed in with what people who’ve never met a republican think we believe.

Again, if I found liberal entertainment unwatchable I’d be short on content, but this show is aggressively left wing.

I'm behind an episode, but I was not liking the way the Blue Hawk storyline was going.

Homelander story arc hasn't bothered me because he's so sadistic that he's an entertaining character.
Except what he did to poor Timothy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:57 am 

i wouldn't classify it as "aggressively left wing" but it is afraid to really satirize the left beyond the feather tickling level jokes (like "inclusion kingdom" which is still funny). the comics predate the trump administration so i think homelander is more of an amalgam of extremist right-wingers (tea partiers, flag-wavers). certainly since the show is right smack in the middle of trump-post-trump they've added some trumper humper make-up to him.

i already posted my disdain for the blue hawk sub plot. it's really needless, and undermining of the show's nihilism. and it's shoehorned in, because that character was never built from the top the way the others are. so it just feels contrived and pandering.

this is where the comic minds of stone & parker reign. "team america" made fun of everybody, equally. there were no soft shots taken at "fat, hot dog eating" michael moore (whom they came to hate after "bowling for columbine" for misusing an animated sequence to make it look like they were active participants in the movie's production). and the hollywood left were..."f@gs".

that's what could've strengthened the satire in this show. like antioch said, it is still entertaining and funny. and i still appreciate the gore. it's like TROMA sometimes. but then it also tries to make some kind of relevant point about how divisive we are and only seems to blame one side for that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:17 am 

Man I was drunk last night

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:52 pm 

That was fucking epic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:02 pm 

I was underwhelmed. And that “Imagine” opener doesn’t work as a joke when half of Hollywood was a part of that unironically and I don’t recall anybody in that “parody” calling them out at the time.

Black Noir was my favorite part of the ep. That’s a great character.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Just got done with 5&6

Wow as usual they 1)do not pull punches and 4 surprise the shit out of me
I was wondering what they where going to do with Soldier Boy, well he now has 2 functions to fufil

The Annie twist I could see coming but still caught me a little by surprise. I also liked her confrontation with the Congresswoman.
Homelander once again blew my mind. His mirror scene had me going yup guy is totally gone off the deep end. Plus,anyone else notice how his facial ticks just started small and kept building?
A Train had some good moments some serious stuff. On the other hand as usual The Deep was a total bonehead degenerate.
The Maeve stuff was kinda bogus
How many more episodes we have left in the season

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:43 pm 

2 more

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:49 pm 

W_Z wrote:
I was underwhelmed. And that “Imagine” opener doesn’t work as a joke when half of Hollywood was a part of that unironically and I don’t recall anybody in that “parody” calling them out at the time.

Black Noir was my favorite part of the ep. That’s a great character.

Black Noir noping the fuck out was great.

I’m surprised you aren’t commenting on Ackles’ performance.

He’s been great.

The Imagine parody worked for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:41 am 

Oh Ackles is great. He’s also got Dean voice goin on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:09 am 

Decent episode. Got a taste of Homelander vs Soldier Boy/Butcher.
Wasn’t a fan of Starlight’s speech at the end.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:07 pm 

I thought it was fine. Not knowing the source material, one of my major issues here has been that Homelander is positioned as so powerful even all the other supes are terrified of him. He seemed controllable based on concern for his image, but this season has seen that go away.

Now he’s effectively free to be as awful/destructive as he wants and he still pulls punches. The combo fight was good as it showed how it takes 3 supes to make it close to a fair fight (including the only guy who they’ve comped to Homelander in terms of ability), but he still just flies away instead of coming right back down and curb stomping Huey or something.

Soldier Boy’s utility seems limited when his big weapon has to be charged up like some old timey defibrillator while he’s mid-fight against a guy who has almost literally every other super power.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
I thought it was fine. Not knowing the source material, one of my major issues here has been that Homelander is positioned as so powerful even all the other supes are terrified of him. He seemed controllable based on concern for his image, but this season has seen that go away.

Now he’s effectively free to be as awful/destructive as he wants and he still pulls punches. The combo fight was good as it showed how it takes 3 supes to make it close to a fair fight (including the only guy who they’ve comped to Homelander in terms of ability), but he still just flies away instead of coming right back down and curb stomping Huey or something.

Soldier Boy’s utility seems limited when his big weapon has to be charged up like some old timey defibrillator while he’s mid-fight against a guy who has almost literally every other super power.

And again, why doesn’t he simply tail Butcher to find Ryan? Shit he could even have Black Noir do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's

Terror on the Prairie doesn’t do it for you? Come on, man.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
SpiralStairs wrote:

And again, why doesn’t he simply tail Butcher to find Ryan? Shit he could even have Black Noir do it.

Not any more

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:15 pm 

Assuming it’s true, I’m not certain I like the development that Soldier Boy is Homelander’s dad. Feels too movie-ish if that makes sense. Not sure what the Big Twist is going to be at this rate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:27 pm 

I think we’re an ep away from finding out Stormfront was Homelander’s mom.

It’s not the strongest plot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:26 am 

W_Z wrote:
this is where the comic minds of stone & parker reign. "team america" made fun of everybody, equally. there were no soft shots taken at "fat, hot dog eating" michael moore (whom they came to hate after "bowling for columbine" for misusing an animated sequence to make it look like they were active participants in the movie's production). and the hollywood left were..."f@gs".

that's what could've strengthened the satire in this show. like antioch said, it is still entertaining and funny. and i still appreciate the gore. it's like TROMA sometimes. but then it also tries to make some kind of relevant point about how divisive we are and only seems to blame one side for that.

They make fun of the left symbolically. The deep fucking an octopus at Herogasm is exactly how I view a leftist nutjob. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:31 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:

Pretty sure the congresswomen showed Homelander a picture of Ryan and made a deal with him to kill someone for her in return for Ryan's location.

Guessing she wants the presidential nominee killed so she can have the old CEO Vought run for president.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:03 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL
No spoilers…

A little under whelmed by the finale. Anthony Starr absolutely deserves some awards for his performance.

Curious to see where they go from here. Haven’t read the comics but are they staying pretty true to the source material?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:12 am 

QuadCityDope wrote:
No spoilers…

A little under whelmed by the finale. Anthony Starr absolutely deserves some awards for his performance.

Curious to see where they go from here. Haven’t read the comics but are they staying pretty true to the source material?

No not really. Unless a certain thing happens in tonight’s finale, then maybe.

I will say the show gives a lot more depth to pretty much every character you see on screen as compared to the comic, which was pretty much just the Butcher and Hughie show. Also the comic spent waaay more time on Vought and it’s people as compared to the show.

Last edited by SpiralStairs on Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:12 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I am 3 episodes behind and will try to catch up this weekend before coming back to this thread. It's been a decent season so far. The only "superhero" show I watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:02 pm 

Well I guess Homelander was able to find his son.

And Black Noir turned out to be a really uninteresting character. Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:07 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I thought it kind of fizzled out at the end after the Herogasm episode. Enjoyable enough but was kind of hoping for a little bit more. I'll keep watching.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:38 am 

there's too much repetitiveness with these storylines going on...i feel like maybe they should wrap this up next season. there's not much more you can squeeze out of these plotlines. homelander vs. soldier boy, that was fun. i liked the father/son angle but it didn't really pay off much. and now with the head-popper coming back into the mix, it just feels like too much familiar territory.

some of the antics this season felt like filler or padding, and this show should have enough juice in it to keep it interesting. that was a bit disappointing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:47 am 

I’m thinking Ryan goes off the reservation and Homelander has to team up with the boys to save the day. And it appears the AOC stand in has taken the place of Vic the Veep. If I was Dakota Bob’s head I’d be very worried.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:59 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:
I’m thinking Ryan goes off the reservation and Homelander has to team up with the boys to save the day. And it appears the AOC stand in has taken the place of Vic the Veep. If I was Dakota Bob’s head I’d be very worried.

My guess is they study Soldier Boy and find out how the yellow explosions take away superpowers. The final series episode will be all the sups becoming human and Butcher somehow turned into a sup permanently.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next