It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dead to Me
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:02 am 

New on Netflix. Dropped last Friday so in these days it's probably considered "old" by now.

Christina Applegate seems to spearhead this whole project, her name is all over the credits. She's outstanding in it. She plays a widowed wife whose wanna-be rockstar husband was killed in a hit-and-run, and she's left with 2 boys to raise. At a grief counseling group she meets Judy (played by Linda Cardellini) who befriends her as awkwardly as she can. As the episode closes, you find out why.

I can't get too much into it without revealing a lot, and reveals is what this show is primarily about. the characters are really well done (except there are 2 issues i have with the handling of 2 of the male characters) and the writing is strong. It definitely has that "what happens next?" vibe that will keep you wanting to binge it.

the most we've ever binged was watching the entire season 2 of "stranger things" in one night. i kind of regret that because i feel like i didn't get to soak it in the way i wanted to.

watch 3 episodes at a time (they're all half-hour long installments) and take the time to absorb it. it's worth it. especially by its conclusion. there are some nice juxtapositions and intriguing philosophies on how to deal with loss, and how to deal with complex feelings.

Post subject: Re: Dead to Me
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I started watching this earlier in the week, coincidentally watching 3 an evening as you suggested, and agree the show is very good. I will be watching the last episode this evening.

What were the two issues you had regarding the handling of the two male characters?

Linda Cardellini receives a fair amount of oral pleasure in this show. More than anyone else, at least.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
White straight males bad, minority and gay males good.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:15 pm 

Nardi wrote:

not exactly, america. the body builder piece of ass that jen almost gets was a good guy.

but i did think that the progression of the story began to dwindle 2 characters into one dimensional stereotypes and made it easy to turn them into pretty much antagonists. one of them is her dead husband.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
W_Z wrote:
Nardi wrote:

not exactly, america. the body builder piece of ass that jen almost gets was a good guy.

but i did think that the progression of the story began to dwindle 2 characters into one dimensional stereotypes and made it easy to turn them into pretty much antagonists. one of them is her dead husband.

Name's Nardi. Yes, Kevin from Shameless was a good guy, but very dumb. Almost Ike-like. I like both women. Obviously it's worth a watch since I'm watching it.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:36 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Nardi wrote:

The verbal exchange (and her expressions during said exchange) between the two of them that broke her horny were very funny. The subject matter itself was terribly sad, of course, but the way it was presented was very funny.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:02 am 

my favorite comical thing that almost seemed completely out of place was the asian-mexican fused restaurant scene. the names of the drinks and apps were hilarious.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:46 am 

Yeah, that was a funny.

I watched the final episode last night. Steve had always been portrayed as selfish, but they really amped it up to a ridiculous level in the scene by the pool in Jenn's backyard.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Turning her ex from ideal to heal seemed like a way to rationalize other things that happened. Steve, same thing.

Overall, it was really quite well done. I binged it over two days.

I'd be good with this being a single season story. I liked the way it ended.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:15 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Yeah, that was a funny.

I watched the final episode last night. Steve had always been portrayed as selfish, but they really amped it up to a ridiculous level in the scene by the pool in Jenn's backyard.

yeah that's my problem. it made it too easy to hate the guy just when the show was getting stronger with the character complexities. i'm not saying it ruined the show, it was just disappointing. the stuff about ted was weak too.