It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ted Lasso : Apple TV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Do you not recall when Sam got his team to abandon its primary sponsor overnight in favor of a dating app?

And then banged the owner?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:16 pm 

wonder why the prime minister didn't post on social media about that in previous seasons. and then all of the sudden, she cares about what he says.

and i thought the banging the owner thing was kept private.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:20 pm 

I’m going to well ackshully you a bit here.

It was the Home Secretary, which would be like Mayorkas telling Lebron to stay out of immigration policy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:33 pm 

Ohhh that’s right, the Home Secretary. I thought I saw Prime Minister. That makes a little more sense since it had to do with refugees. My overall point stands, though. It was a weak attempt at creating a parallel to our political situation with immigration and the “shut up and dribble” thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:38 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Ohhh that’s right, the Home Secretary. I thought I saw Prime Minister. That makes a little more sense since it had to do with refugees. My overall point stands, though. It was a weak attempt at creating a parallel to our political situation with immigration and the “shut up and dribble” thing.

This thing may be satire at this point. They’re just inexplicably shoehorning in years-old political issues while making every character gay.

The professional soccer team acts like a bunch of idealized female friends - all of the loving facade; none of the underlying back-biting. Ted is borderline apologetic for being upset that his wife is banging their marriage counselor.

This is a show I would make to slowly mock liberals.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
damn i created this post.

i remember now i quit watching after episode 2 or 3 of the first season.

looks like it hasn't got any better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:00 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
W_Z wrote:

This thing may be satire at this point. They’re just inexplicably shoehorning in years-old political issues while making every character gay.

The professional soccer team acts like a bunch of idealized female friends - all of the loving facade; none of the underlying back-biting. Ted is borderline apologetic for being upset that his wife is banging their marriage counselor.

This is a show I would make to slowly mock liberals.

I’m positive Brendan Hunt would insist you fuck his wife if he could watch while eating vanilla ice cream with sprinkles and whip cream.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:57 pm 

Excellent treatise on both accepting sexuality and being respectful to professional athletes tonight. This show is hilarious.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:28 am 

as far as i know, or have known, the english don't use the "F" word as a slur against gays. they say "poof" or "poofter"...maybe "fop". but that's definitely not what they were hinting at.

that was contrived, as the show has become more and more of, but the scene between mcadoo and hughes at the end of the episode was actually nice. there are still some honest moments here and there, but this season just has too much effort to be the Good GuysTM. the warm hug has become uncomfortably long and borderline creepy.

also, i have a pet peeve about writers trying to throw their personal pop culture or cine/musicphilia into their characters to "speak through them". diablo cody did this incessantly in "Juno". brendan hunt clearly wants to say shit about led zeppelin so he does it through coach beard. so obnoxious and dumb.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:31 am 

there was a really awful christmas movie that came out years ago called "love the coopers". my friend's wife had us watch it with them one christmas and i had to choke back the vomit that was coming up from all the manipulative BS that the movie was serving. it was disappointing because it had a great cast and it probably seemed like a good ensemble holiday flick. but unlike a movie like "the family stone" which has actual emotions and a genuine approach to family spirit, "love the coopers" was desperate and needy. one critic even said "you MUST 'love' the coopers. that's how the title comes off."

that's how i feel about this last season of ted lasso. it went from being a genuine feel-good show to a manipulative drama that slogged through the 12 episodes. and whereas the previous seasons also had 12 episodes, the run-time was no more than 40-some minutes. this episode was over 12 hours long in total.

the last few episodes, including the finale, had some bright spots. even in the final moments of the show, there were some nice scenes. but then a lot of it was so on-the-nose and so eager to be the bear hug show it had previously attained by earning that sentiment...it came off as just being cloying much of the time.

if the season had 30-35 minute episodes, followed by an 80-minute finale...fine. but to have an 80-minute finale following entire hour long episodes really made it *feel* a whole lot more time consuming. and it is.

it does feel over, and they keep saying it is. it felt like a finale. but i guess we'll see how desperate apple gets in the coming years.

we might have to revisit "love ted lasso" again...

:D :D out of :D :D :D :D