It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:14 am 

I don't know what date exactly the show dropped but new episodes are available on Hulu now.

so far, i've only watched the first one. it's still good--clever songs, a great pinky & the brain sketch, funny stuff.

there was a review i was reading that said "zany doesn't work in this era".

yeah, because your average viewer is a raging narrow-minded, self-righteous prig who has their finger poised over the "cancel" button if it isn't to their liking.

this generation has no sense of humor. why would they get zany?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:55 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
W_Z wrote:
there was a review i was reading that said "zany doesn't work in this era".

It's time for Animaniacs

And we're zany within socially acceptable parameters considering that black men are murdered by police every day

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Love it. Time to introduce my kids to it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:28 pm 

It's incredible that an old Pinky & The Brain sketch from '94 was just Maurice LaMarche doing the Orson Welles outtakes but for kids. In fact, I think the whole Brain character arose from LaMarche doing Orson Welles bits to crack people up before voice work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:08 am 

it's back for the 2nd season (contracted for 2). another 13 episodes, and we've watched the first 2 so far. again, they're pretty fun and light-hearted. it's a shame they keep the same format for every episode. i don't know if there are plans to expand that if they get picked up for another season.

but i do miss the other characters (they made an all-too-brief appearance in the first season).

this show probably won't pick up many new fans unfortunately. animation has gone through a lot of changes in the past twentysome years. it was way funnier back then, for one thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I think so, Brain, but how will we get a pair of Abe Vigoda's pants?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I tried watching the old show on Hulu last couple years based on the rave reviews, but thought it was pretty bad. Only good parts were the geography songs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Any Chickenboo in the new episodes? I've watched a few of the old ones with the kids. Pinky and the Brain was a big hit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:10 pm 

I read somewhere that Chicken Boo got poor feedback. I thought it was funny. I appreciated the anti-humor of it even then.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:15 pm 

W_Z wrote:
this show probably won't pick up many new fans unfortunately. animation has gone through a lot of changes in the past twentysome years. it was way funnier back then, for one thing.

I don't know what you call the "Bob's Bojack Big Mouth" style of animation programming (it's not CalArts, is it?), but every now and then I catch a promo on social media for this or that new animated series and they're all the same. It's always the same vaguely ugly artwork, the same detached celebrity voice work, the same "adult" humor that doesn't feel subversive anymore. I remember there was one show that I saw a promo for, I don't even remember the premise, just that something was going on in a high school gym. But it came out of the same meat grinder as everything else. John Kricfalusi may have been disgusting in real life, but at least he made something that looked real and different.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:06 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I read somewhere that Chicken Boo got poor feedback. I thought it was funny. I appreciated the anti-humor of it even then.

Oh, it was awful but I found it enjoyable. Most of the folks who watched it when I watched it would groan about it but I wasn't the only fan in the room.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:10 pm 

Chicken Boo was gaslighting. There would always be one person screaming "that's not a handsome leading man of the Golden Age of Hollywood, that is clearly a poorly disguised giant chicken!" and everyone else would be like "no, you're making it up." I think it really sent a dangerous message to children.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:17 pm 

I like the ensemble cast of cartoons. Underdog was like that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:19 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I like the ensemble cast of cartoons. Underdog was like that.

So were Heathcliff and Garfield, always brought on the B-team to work the middle innings. I barely cared about Heathcliff. Why was I supposed to care about Riff-Raff?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:28 pm 

Riff Raff was on Heathcliff too? First crossover character? I never watched either of those.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:34 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Chicken Boo was gaslighting. There would always be one person screaming "that's not a handsome leading man of the Golden Age of Hollywood, that is clearly a poorly disguised giant chicken!" and everyone else would be like "no, you're making it up." I think it really sent a dangerous message to children.

well, in any event, we're through 4 episodes and no chicken boo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:43 am 

W_Z wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

well, in any event, we're through 4 episodes and no chicken boo.

That's disappointing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:51 am 

GoodFeathers was one I didn't appreciate until years later, for obvious reasons. They did a good job with that one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:22 pm 

bump. we still have yet to finish season 2, there's like 4 episodes left...and it became a slog after episode 6 or 7. this show isn't meant for streaming. it is way too repetitive.

looks like they will have 1 more season, and that's it. i'm not sure i care enough to check it out at this point.

https://movieweb.com/animaniacs-season-3-trailer/