It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welcome to Wrexham
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:41 am 

fun enough watch with fast paced episodes. The Mcilhenny/Reynolds parts can be a bit contrived and Reynolds is always going to play cute for the cameras. I don't follow soccer but I'll watch.

It's kind of fun watching sports from a fairly disinterested owner's perspective. Usually, they would be the villain in a story but here they are the heroes. It's funny to watch them try to make sophisticated soccer people believe they are in it for the long haul, and not necessarily appreciate being treated as a character in a tv show.

Post subject: Re: Welcome to Wrexham
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Ryan Reynolds is very high on the list of people I'd like to punch in the face.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
He’s fine in small doses while pretending to be somebody else.

We’re about 8 episodes into this and I’m not sure how anybody can stand being around him for more than a couple minutes. He’s such a disingenuous twat.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I've watched a bunch of them. The bits between the two of them are growing rather old.

Talk more soccer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:24 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
I've watched a bunch of them. The bits between the two of them are growing rather old.

Talk more soccer.

I think the problem is that everyone sees it as a pump and dump but they think they are fooling people.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
I don't like soccer but there have been a few good documentaries. Once In A Lifetime, 4 Year Plan, and The Impossible Job were all really good and surprisingly funny. The Damned United and Victory not terrible soccer movies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
yeah its weird - im not particularly a soccer fan, but docs about it ill generally always check out. Probably has a lot to do with how absolutely nuts the europeans are for it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:54 pm 

i just wrapped this up, and had already known their fate by googling the team before I started watching.

for a long stretch, i was in a love-hate relationship with this show. on the one hand, it is a fantastic and endearing illustration of british football passion. i like that it highlights the town of wrexham, and wales in general. i've been following the welsh football team for nearly 17 years.

but there's a lot of fluff, and staged (obviously not the matches), or stagey material. i'm really growing tired of the animated interludes in docuseries. it seems like they all do it. michael moore invented it as a trope and now everyone copies that format.

i think the crown jewel of the season is "wins and losses". the opposite of that is "wromance". and the final episode is great.

it is certainly worth watching, and it's an excellent representation of what it means to love this sport, and what it means to be a part of it as a community. it reminds me of the team i follow, blackburn. and blackburn has some welsh ties to it from time to time. it's also rather close to the border.

it didn't need 18 episodes, regardless of it being short episodes (23-25 minutes, and a 40-minute finale). there were times when i'd get through an episode and be like..."i have 10 more left?"

ryan reynolds has to be a real-life demon though. something has got to be going on in his dark side...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
MongoMuller wrote:
I don't like soccer but there have been a few good documentaries. Once In A Lifetime, 4 Year Plan, and The Impossible Job were all really good and surprisingly funny. The Damned United and Victory not terrible soccer movies.

"We Are Sunderland" on Netflix was a fantastic soccer docu-series. Like you, I don't really care for soccer but i loved this show.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The best soccer documentary is still ESPN’s The Two Escobars old 30 for 30. The Hillsborough 30 for 30 is also top notch. Neither make you want to watch them twice though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
KDdidit wrote:
The best soccer documentary is still ESPN’s The Two Escobars old 30 for 30. The Hillsborough 30 for 30 is also top notch. Neither make you want to watch them twice though.

That Hillsborough one was great. What a tragedy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
I've seen them all and I would say Once in a Lifetime is my favorite. It was edited by Paul Crowder so done in a very entertaining style and a funny story about the New York Cosmos of the 70s. Its hilarious how Warner Communications buys a club level soccer team to keep the Ertegun's from leaving Atlantic then goes out and signs Pele. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:04 pm 

this season has been a whole lot better as far as being about the matches and how they're getting close to being a promotable team. the growing pains have culminated into a well-oiled machine.

there are some standout episodes that are definitely going to get them golden globes/emmys: "the quiet zone" and "ballers".

it's been very touching, and entertaining. to make a non-league team look like they belong in the premiership is a great editing job.

but it says something, too, that this notts county is neck-and-neck with them *without* all of the strings that rob & ryan have pulled.

while they toiled for more than a year under their ownership in the national league...that really shouldn't be the case in L2, L1 and possibly even the Championship.

I'm through the Goalkeeper episode, where they bring Ben Foster out of retirement.

I read that they've lost millions already on this franchise...so, as it's said...they need to bump up the ladder fast.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
W_Z wrote:

ryan reynolds has to be a real-life demon though. something has got to be going on in his dark side...

There is something off about him. I liked the other guy on that show who was like a Edward Burns knock off.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I got about 4 episodes in but haven't watched in a few months. Found it mildly entertaining I guess. Not sure if I will pick it back up again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:51 am 

W_Z wrote:
this season has been a whole lot better as far as being about the matches and how they're getting close to being a promotable team. the growing pains have culminated into a well-oiled machine.

there are some standout episodes that are definitely going to get them golden globes/emmys: "the quiet zone" and "ballers".

it's been very touching, and entertaining. to make a non-league team look like they belong in the premiership is a great editing job.

but it says something, too, that this notts county is neck-and-neck with them *without* all of the strings that rob & ryan have pulled.

while they toiled for more than a year under their ownership in the national league...that really shouldn't be the case in L2, L1 and possibly even the Championship.

I'm through the Goalkeeper episode, where they bring Ben Foster out of retirement.

I read that they've lost millions already on this franchise...so, as it's said...they need to bump up the ladder fast.

I think ownership doesn't consider it a loss. Reynolds has a development deal from Netflix. This was a show he developed and the actual team is incidental. It probably ends up being cheaper, even with buying the team, than shooting a traditional show.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:46 am 

I enjoy watching the show, but am more interested in the behind the scenes, politics of building the new stadium, and town stuff than the actual games. After watching the first season, I started following the team through twitter, etc. So I already know the results of all the games/promotion/etc.

I also really like the general idea of promotion/relegation. Not a perfect example, because the same teams own the minor leagues, but you want to stop teams from tanking??? Imagine if the A's, Rockies, and Royals were preparing for their 2024 season in AAA.