It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Babylon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:11 am 

It was a good but not great movie. Certainly not the great movie that is being advertised. Hollywood likes nothing more than a historical about itself, so, of course, they used three hours to tell this story. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy it but 3+ is just abusive to your audience. This is especially true given that they really did not cover any new ground. Old, glamorous Hollywood with its guilded age excesses and cracked beauty. Silent era stars not being able to transition to talkies.

I do have to say, this was one of the most fantastic soundtracks I have heard in a movie in decades. I cannot remember music that expressed the emotion of the movie and characters any better than here and the music was entirely new, unlike rehashed classic rock that seems to be the background of every movie these days. I particularly liked this song to display chaos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzHyGFKnEgk&list=RDgzHyGFKnEgk&start_radio=1&rv=gzHyGFKnEgk&t=18

The movie was shot beautifully as well.

It almost seemed like a prequel to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, with so many of the faces from that movie appearing in this and an extension of some of its themes.

I think this movie is best seen on a cold winter's day where the only other thing you would be doing is sitting in bed bundled up. It's worth seeing.

Post subject: Re: Babylon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Agree with your review, though the movie could have omitted some of the gross fetishes and still conveyed the debauchery. Robbie was red hot.

Kind of a mix between OUATIH and Boogie Nights.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:07 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Agree with your review, though the movie could have omitted some of the gross fetishes and still conveyed the debauchery. Robbie was red hot.

Kind of a mix between OUATIH and Boogie Nights.

Eyes Wide Shut was considered borderline x rated 20 years ago and I would submit this was more graphic. Neither was actually shocking when you watched them but they were a similar level of showing you everything and nothing. There were lots of tits but I'd hardly call it a sexy movie.

What was the point of the asshole of los angeles scene? It clearly didn't happen historically and most of it was far too advanced for that time, so it seemed anachronistic. Was it a statement, like in Boogie Nights, about where the direction movies have gone in modern times? I could see the first level being a criticism of Tarantino type movies and the fourth a criticism of the stardom of people like Schwarzenhager. Maybe the third is a criticism of the adultization of Disney type films. I'm fine with that self indulgence if it was a two hour film but there was already so much fat to trim that this was beyond excessive, not that I didn't enjoy the scene. It was like they let David Lynch guest write a scene and then direct for the day.

I'll hot take here and say Margot Robbie has entered the downslide of her hotness.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
It was a good but not great movie. Certainly not the great movie that is being advertised. Hollywood likes nothing more than a historical about itself, so, of course, they used three hours to tell this story. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy it but 3+ is just abusive to your audience. This is especially true given that they really did not cover any new ground. Old, glamorous Hollywood with its guilded age excesses and cracked beauty. Silent era stars not being able to transition to talkies.

I do have to say, this was one of the most fantastic soundtracks I have heard in a movie in decades. I cannot remember music that expressed the emotion of the movie and characters any better than here and the music was entirely new, unlike rehashed classic rock that seems to be the background of every movie these days. I particularly liked this song to display chaos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzHyGFKnEgk&list=RDgzHyGFKnEgk&start_radio=1&rv=gzHyGFKnEgk&t=18

The movie was shot beautifully as well.

It almost seemed like a prequel to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, with so many of the faces from that movie appearing in this and an extension of some of its themes.

I think this movie is best seen on a cold winter's day where the only other thing you would be doing is sitting in bed bundled up. It's worth seeing.

Soundtrack for Goodfellas. Well, it's just one song but now is synonymous with the movie. When I hear it, I think of the guy on a meathook in the truck