It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Last of Us - HBO
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I like the show so far. The idea that humans can’t be infected by fungi is weird, but whatever. I’ll concede the premise.

I’m not up to speed on video games and had no idea this was a game. In hindsight, it’s totally obvious given every door they approach is blocked and any time they enter a room, the roof collapses behind them forcing them to move forward.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:26 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
I was hoping for a rebound after end of episode 2 but I thought this episode was the worst by a large margin. I thought it was incredibly boring. It was really hard not to fast forward thru some spots.

I'm kicking you out...right after we belt out some Linda Ronstadt numbers...lol.

I did enjoy Tess making an appearance although it was a reminder she is still only good character so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
This Ends in Antioch wrote:

I’m not up to speed on video games and had no idea this was a game. In hindsight, it’s totally obvious given every door they approach is blocked and any time they enter a room, the roof collapses behind them forcing them to move forward.

Yep :lol:

The only thing missing is a countdown clock.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
MongoMuller wrote:
I was hoping for a rebound after end of episode 2 but I thought this episode was the worst by a large margin. I thought it was incredibly boring. It was really hard not to fast forward thru some spots.

I'm kicking you out...right after we belt out some Linda Ronstadt numbers...lol.

I did enjoy Tess making an appearance although it was a reminder she is still only good character so far.

Like Antioch I have no idea about the game and so on. That said, and maybe because of my ignorance, I thought this episode was good (and brief) character development. The romance clearly tried to illustrate how even the most skeptical/misanthropic/etc (survivalist dude) among us can be brought to life. Maybe a bit cliche but I thought the acting was on point. It's gonna disappoint those who were looking for more week 2-ish tension and zombies but maybe understanding how the scares can only go on for so long this episode is a clear break from the first two weeks.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:55 am 
1000 CLUB

I didn't understand the premise of the episode that an enclave so close to Boston could exist without being over run. That's a densely populated area I would have thought there would be a million zombies and raiders roaming around. It made the apocalypse look more like an inconvenience but maybe I'm not understanding this world.

Why did they make the one gay dude so useless? He's trading guns for strawberries and giving away their position on the radio to strangers so he can host tea parties. Then the other guy is supposed to be survivalist dude but his plan is to run out into street like a drunken hillbilly with a deer rifle and he gets shot by the most inept raiders ever. I like how he didn't even bother to wake up useless dude because he didn't learn how to shoot apparently. I guess he was too busy with his boutique lol. He said he started from Baltimore with 10 people. I wish they would have showed that. I think we can assume this guy got the others killed.

So I guess Ellie outsmarted Joel at the beginning. She killed a zombie and armed herself while Joel was looking for something that he misplaced. Joel not looking great there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:14 am 

Episode 3 was painfully boring.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:17 am 

It seemed a little misplaced as they are still building the world. It was like a side story you'd expect to see in a second or third season especially since it had very little to do with the actual incomprehensibly stupid story about driving across 3/4ths of the country during a zombie apocalypse for reasons that will never make sense no matter how they do it.

I like the show a lot though but it does seem like with zombie shows you sometimes have to not think so hard about them.

I still liked the episode a lot as it made the world feel more real to see someone just try and be happy enough with life instead of constant zombie killing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
It succeeded in getting MANY people Mad Online which is always something to support.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:07 pm 

If a woman had fallen in that hole do you think the story is roughly the same?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:20 pm 

Brick wrote:

She wouldn't have fallen into the hole on account of having lost the directions to the hole in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

Brick wrote:

Story same but no Emmy nomination.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Watched it early Monday morning before travelling for work. They definitely shifted gears on the viewers there. We will see if it really adds anything to the series down the road. Seemed like "art" more than anything else moving the story forward.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

I wish he could of tricked me into thinking it wasn't a boring ass episode. He sounds pretty delusional...people watched because they didn't care not because he's some kind of master of deception.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:34 am 

Decent episode I guess. At least it got them moving much further west which they could have dragged out a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:57 am 

Can’t abide by them running into what’s essentially an invisible wall with that blocked highway underpass. Just drive up the berm and go around!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:16 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:
Can’t abide by them running into what’s essentially an invisible wall with that blocked highway underpass. Just drive up the berm and go around!

A single trailer is blocking the highway, and not a car visible on the other side. He's able to siphon 20 year old gas, but nobody started the truck and got the trailer out of the way in that time.

Also find it hard to believe that a single larger city would be remotely passable/livable. Other than the one trailer blocking the road, they are driving through like it's a typical morning commute, and not a single zombie seen as they run through city neighborhoods.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 am 

Next episode will apparently air and be available Friday night as to not compete with Super Bowl Sunday

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:11 am 

The overpass thing was another reminder that the show will have occasional moments of video game logic here & there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Its hard to feel sympathy for these morons when they don't know how to shut the hell up. They go into tunnels where the zombies are supposedly and make enough noise to wake the dead then when they get out of tunnels they do same thing. The old guy had probably nodded off and they woke him up with all their racket. People act really dumb on this show.

I think they should have had the battle in the tunnels. The battle outside didn't make much sense and it looked pretty bad with the cgi fast zombies mixed with the people in zombie costumes. If they couldn't make it look right with 60 extras dressed as zombies they should of found a director who could. The action scenes so far have been hit or miss. It didn't make sense that zombies underground apparently pushing thru the concrete in a commercial building somehow flood out of a basement in residential area?

I was wondering how they were going to handle the deaf kid passing the notepad back and forth that was very tedious. I didn't talk to my kids before I watched so I assumed they were coming along. I guess they solved that problem.

The show is probably most uneven I have ever watched. When she left the notepad thing on the grave that was good but the way she bosses Joel around really hurts the show. The gay dudes were supposed to be allegory for Joel and Ellie and the two brothers a mirror image but it doesn't work because Joel is a lump so they're practically equals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:06 am 

Last episode was just ok. Really didn't like how he was able to pick off all these monsters in the dark with an old rifle. Again they keep moving the story along but not sure what will happen when they meet up with his brother. I thought the KC arc would be a little longer but they aren't wasting any time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
MongoMuller wrote:
I wish he could of tricked me into thinking it wasn't a boring ass episode. He sounds pretty delusional...people watched because they didn't care not because he's some kind of master of deception.

he didn't trick me. As soon as the Linda Ronstadt stuff started I hit the fast forward button and continued to hit it for every scene that didn't have one of the main characters in it.

Sorry TLOU, I don't fall for political proganda.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:20 pm 

Another episode last night where it was just kinda meh.... I don't have many new shows I am watching, so it is filling a void but maybe I just had too high of expectations. Next week looks like a flashback episode so we can learn more about the girl.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:56 am 
1000 CLUB

I would say its just an ok show. The praise is way overblown IMO. Some of the choices they made were really bad...surprisingly bad. Its in a strange place where its boring a lot of the time but they're moving too fast. We don't even get to know these characters then they kill them off and go on to next town. The sad part is these are the episodes that were supposed to be good. There is some major BS coming up I just hope they have the courage to do it because it will be fun watching the shills try and defend it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:59 am 

I like this show a lot for how boring it is. It's truly strange. They traveled 2/3rds across the country during a zombie apocalypse and nothing really happened.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:28 am 
1000 CLUB

With what is coming up they should of stretched 1st game out to 2 seasons. Survivalist guy lived and he and Ellie had some funny dialogue so they could of played on that and had him come along. Joel is a lump so when its just him and Ellie its not very interesting because the father/daughter dynamic doesn't exist because they're basically equal. Its a missed opportunity because the apocalypse with society breaking down is interesting to me but nobody has done it right yet. Amazon is doing a Fallout show...that show doesn't stand a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:32 am 

The past two have been fine. A zombie show should have more zombies and fewer movie nights, but it’s fine.

Pretty scenery. 2 stars out of 6.25.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:38 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
The past two have been fine. A zombie show should have more zombies and fewer movie nights, but it’s fine.

Pretty scenery. 2 stars out of 6.25.

I know you have to suspend belief on pretty much any show about the apocalypse but I don't understand how society isn't just back to normal. You can ride a horse for 5 days and never see a zombie. 3 cities are secured that we know of. The zombies all seem to travel in these huge packs that should be easily tracked and removed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:59 am 
1000 CLUB

It doesn't seem they care that much about the world building outside of the visuals which look really good. They did reveal in 1st episode that Atlanta is producing weapons so maybe its going to be a reverse Civil War where the South conquers the North.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
MongoMuller wrote:
With what is coming up they should of stretched 1st game out to 2 seasons. Survivalist guy lived and he and Ellie had some funny dialogue so they could of played on that and had him come along. Joel is a lump so when its just him and Ellie its not very interesting because the father/daughter dynamic doesn't exist because they're basically equal. Its a missed opportunity because the apocalypse with society breaking down is interesting to me but nobody has done it right yet. Amazon is doing a Fallout show...that show doesn't stand a chance.

i'll be interested to see the quirkiness of how everything basically stayed in the 1950s even as technology progressed with rocket engine tech before the bombs fall.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
i'll be interested to see the quirkiness of how everything basically stayed in the 1950s even as technology progressed with rocket engine tech before the bombs fall.

I didn't even know a trailer had dropped. Its hard to tell anything from it other than it looks like they will be using some stuff from New Vegas. I didn't know Jonathan Nolan was attached so maybe it has a chance. Nolan says he played Fallout 3 so maybe he gets it.