It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Disney
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Disney is burning right now. Everything they make is garbage. Ant-Man is probably going to lose 100 million. If Guardians 3 flops they're sunk.

Post subject: Re: Disney
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
DeSantis wins again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:16 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:
Disney is burning right now. Everything they make is garbage.

I wonder how much of it is oversaturation also? There are so many of these movies now, that it's hard for anyone outside the "superfan" to stay interested. The new Ant Man could be crap, or could be the best superhero movie ever. Without even seeing a trailer, I wouldn't/won't go to a theater to see it. Hero burnout.

Add in that theaters seem to be a dying business anyway. Harder and harder for blockbuster type budgets to get their investment back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:18 pm 

GotG 3 should be decent. It’s the only one I’m looking forward to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:37 pm 

casual fan wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:

I wonder how much of it is oversaturation also? There are so many of these movies now, that it's hard for anyone outside the "superfan" to stay interested. The new Ant Man could be crap, or could be the best superhero movie ever. Without even seeing a trailer, I wouldn't/won't go to a theater to see it. Hero burnout.

Add in that theaters seem to be a dying business anyway. Harder and harder for blockbuster type budgets to get their investment back.
Dr Strange and Spiderman did very well. Most of the others since End Game have been average at best.

I think it will get a little better when there is an actual connection of all these side stories and the main world killer that obviously won't actually kill the world.

This has always been the pattern for Disney. They have periods where everything is terrible and then they refocus and start to create more classics. They'll be fine tapping the well for Toy Story, Frozen, and they'll find a way to bring back Iron Man with a new Iron Man and things will be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I buy the fatigue argument. There’s also a ton of backstory now that makes it difficult to just step into a movie without having watched 15 years of other movies about different characters.

I’ll watch this on Disney+ when it comes out.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
While there are always going to be people that see everything, there's still people who notice when things are good. Star Wars was on a garbage run of properties until the Mandalorian and then they followed that up with okay (The Bad Batch), meh (Book of Boba Fett), and terrible (Obi-Wan) until they did something great with Andor. Marvel will do the same. Why they thought Ant-Man was some kind of tentpole property that was big enough to risk that kind of money on was a weird decision though. The first one was fine and all, but nobody was clamoring for a 2, let alone a 3.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:56 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I buy the fatigue argument. There’s also a ton of backstory now that makes it difficult to just step into a movie without having watched 15 years of other movies about different characters.

I’ll watch this on Disney+ when it comes out.
It's only going to get harder when Wesley Snipes is fighting Loki.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:56 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
While there are always going to be people that see everything, there's still people who notice when things are good. Star Wars was on a garbage run of properties until the Mandalorian and then they followed that up with okay (The Bad Batch), meh (Book of Boba Fett), and terrible (Obi-Wan) until they did something great with Andor. Marvel will do the same. Why they thought Ant-Man was some kind of tentpole property that was big enough to risk that kind of money on was a weird decision though. The first one was fine and all, but nobody was clamoring for a 2, let alone a 3.

Isn’t it just a way to launch Kang?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
It is but even less people care about Kang than Ant-Man at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:00 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Why they thought Ant-Man was some kind of tentpole property that was big enough to risk that kind of money on was a weird decision though. The first one was fine and all, but nobody was clamoring for a 2, let alone a 3.
As per my policy of never reading, I have never read a comic book.

Ant-Man is far more interesting than most of the characters remaining that haven't been killed off or retired though I assume Ant-Man is about to meet the same fate or this Kang guy is a loser.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

They want us to believe Kang is tougher than Thanos but he's already gotten his ass kicked twice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:02 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

Correct. I like Jonathan Majors & thought he was good in Loki. But I read some pre-release stuff suggesting audiences liked him better than Thanos, which seems like such obvious desperate bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
Ant-Man is far more interesting than most of the characters remaining that haven't been killed off or retired though I assume Ant-Man is about to meet the same fate or this Kang guy is a loser.

He was supposed to die but he has a ride or something at Disney World so they decided to let him live when they did re-shoots. They did a ton of re-shoots on Ant Man because they wanted to make it funnier. None of the jokes landed. I didn't laugh and neither did the other 5 people in theater who saw it on opening Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:09 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:
Brick wrote:

He was supposed to die but he has a ride or something at Disney World so they decided to let him live when they did re-shoots. They did a ton of re-shoots on Ant Man because they wanted to make it funnier. None of the jokes landed. I didn't laugh and neither did the other 5 people in theater who saw it on opening Saturday.
Does Ant-Man twerk? I never saw She-Hulk but supposedly it had a lot of Girl Boss Energy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
Does Ant-Man twerk? I never saw She-Hulk but supposedly it had a lot of Girl Boss Energy.

No but you get to see MODOK's ass.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

This was supposed to be released in July just got pushed back into November. I'm sure its going to be great after 5 sets of re-shoots lol.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:55 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

I voted for Kodos.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

W_Z wrote:
GotG 3 should be decent. It’s the only one I’m looking forward to.

Disney is so inept they can't even do a simple poster without screwing it up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:55 am 
1000 CLUB

Only reason I care about Disney is they're losing a lot of money and seem to be one of the worst managed companies I've seen. In November a fund I'm in sent a letter saying they had reduced holdings in Disney and cited the reasons. I wasn't aware they were in so much trouble and its surprising it isn't more of a story. I don't see where the revenue is going to come from when their streaming service is losing billions and the movies are losers too. Star Wars and Marvel are dead. The parks are in trouble too. Universal has Harry Potter and Mario and Disney has Star Wars that they let age out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Star Wars was has a lot wrong with it. Lucas made 1-3 pretty stupid and then Disney took it a step further. Plus, it's too much all close together.

The comic book stuff seems a lot of the same to me and once you lose Iron Man what's the point?

I don't understand the direction they are going with the kids stuff. It makes no sense. They are so far from their original mission statement, vision of the company, and what made Disney successful.

Hollywood itself needs some sort of makeover. There aren't any real good young actors or at least any ones that have that it factor. They are all kind of the same and something is off about them. A lot of the actress are that way too.

Harry Potter might hang on for a bit, although it might go the way of Star Wars. It has more old material to keep introducing to young people so it might have an easier time. I'm shocked at the Mario stuff but it is fun for my age for obvious reasons and kids like it. Good time for it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:31 pm 

casual fan wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:

My grandson (4yrs old)LOVES The Black Panther and was super excited to watch Wakanda Forever. When he saw the character was dead he cried and had no interest in the new female version of the Black Panther. They should have just re-cast TBP and not turned it into a female character. Disney has now ruined two franchises. Marvel and Star Wars.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:13 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Star Wars was has a lot wrong with it. Lucas made 1-3 pretty stupid and then Disney took it a step further. Plus, it's too much all close together.

The comic book stuff seems a lot of the same to me and once you lose Iron Man what's the point?

I don't understand the direction they are going with the kids stuff. It makes no sense. They are so far from their original mission statement, vision of the company, and what made Disney successful.

Hollywood itself needs some sort of makeover. There aren't any real good young actors or at least any ones that have that it factor. They are all kind of the same and something is off about them. A lot of the actress are that way too.

Harry Potter might hang on for a bit, although it might go the way of Star Wars. It has more old material to keep introducing to young people so it might have an easier time. I'm shocked at the Mario stuff but it is fun for my age for obvious reasons and kids like it. Good time for it.

these kids are being manufactured well before high school now, with all the tyke academies there must be out there. kids who are trained to sing broadway style before they hit puberty, which is why there's a song and dance number in everything now. it has diluted the product to the point where everyone can be a pop star, so the "star" part gets lost.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:55 pm 

It's more than that I think. Chris Evans, Channing Tatum, Chris Pratt, the Hemsworths, Bradley Cooper, and Ryan Gosling are all the same person to me. They are a sanitized version of masculinity in their characters. It's boring. They are all good looking but I don't stop when I see them. They aren't captivating in a way that old Hollywood stars are or even ones from the 80s and 90s are. Can you name a real blockbuster or megastar? There is no new Tom Cruise to replace Tom Cruise.

I also don't think they write the flawed hero very well anymore and it makes movies less fun. I think Robert Downey Jr is great and Iron Man is a great character. Chris Evans is ehh okay and so is Captain America. He was people's sexiest man alive this year and the shoot is awkward looking to me. https://people.com/movies/chris-evans-p ... live-2022/ Maybe this is the direction we are headed - manufactured as you say.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:21 am 

Spaulding wrote:
It's more than that I think. Chris Evans, Channing Tatum, Chris Pratt, the Hemsworths, Bradley Cooper, and Ryan Gosling are all the same person to me. They are a sanitized version of masculinity in their characters. It's boring.

I think a lot of that is social media/cancel culture/24 hr "news". They have to be sanitized, because the studios and producers can't afford/don't want to deal with the negative press.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:26 am 

Marvel movies are kids movies that adults can also watch and be entertained. If you want superheroes for adults there are other better options. The Boys and things like Peacemaker and Batman fill that role better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:30 am 

casual fan wrote:
I think a lot of that is social media/cancel culture/24 hr "news". They have to be sanitized, because the studios and producers can't afford/don't want to deal with the negative press.

I agree. I think they are sacrificing success and profit and we aren't very entertained. Star Wars really bugs me because it was a favorite of mine, it's what I'd watch when I was sick. It was cool at the time, it's a great story about good and evil, and there is character development for the 2-3 heroes. What'd they do? Luke became a bitter recluse, Han Solo abandoned his family and went back to being a loser criminal, and Leia flys though space. So dumb. Could Han Solo's character even be written now? And would an actor like Harrison Ford be able to have success? Will we ever accept the deviation from the basic stories of human history about love, family, and good/bad?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:40 am 

Spaulding wrote:
casual fan wrote:

I agree. I think they are sacrificing success and profit and we aren't very entertained. Star Wars really bugs me because it was a favorite of mine, it's what I'd watch when I was sick. It was cool at the time, it's a great story about good and evil, and there is character development for the 2-3 heroes. What'd they do? Luke became a bitter recluse, Han Solo abandoned his family and went back to being a loser criminal, and Leia flys though space. So dumb. Could Han Solo's character even be written now? And would an actor like Harrison Ford be able to have success? Will we ever accept the deviation from the basic stories of human history about love, family, and good/bad?

There was something I read years ago that I can’t find now, but it was an analysis of why Disney bought Lucas. The key point was that management felt they had the girl demo locked down because of Disney Princesses, but didn’t have a hook with boys. So they bought Star Wars…and promptly made it a feminist series.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:03 am 

They did weird shit with the princesses too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next