PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:33 am 

did you actually see him live?

Post subject: Re: Chris Rock Live
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:39 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:

No. I thought that was the name of his Netflix special. I like Rock, but I don't think I would ever go to his show.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:04 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

No. I thought that was the name of his Netflix special. I like Rock, but I don't think I would ever go to his show.

I think comedy live is the best way to view it but stadium comedy is terrible

If you even want to see a show in a great venue that is bigger than a club but smaller than a stadium check out Thalia Hall in Pilsen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Other than money hungry Kevin Hart, comedians aren't in love with stadium shows either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think comedy live is the best way to view it but stadium comedy is terrible

Agreed. I will say, seeing Bert Kreischer in a stadium a month ago sort of fit his style. You could tell the venue didn't seem right for his openers (Normand and Gillis) though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Nate Bargatze has a new special out on Amazon Prime and elsewhere. Filmed in the round at a 3000 seat Phoenix theater. Dull AF. I like Bargatze's "i'm just a dumb southerner lost in the wilds of new york city" shtick but his new material was mostly about his lame wife and kid. Material maybe not that bad but he seemed to be checking boxes and running through the set rather than doing a comedy show.

I guess that's just what happens when comedians step up to larger venues. Louis CK said when played the Chicago theater the first time it was the largest audience he ever performed for as a headliner (up to that point, I think he'd opened for Rock and Seinfeld before, different doing a 15 minute opener vs 70 minutes headlining) and he shit-canned his planned set of new material and just played his greatest hits. I was at that show and thought it was ok, but, yeah, I'd heard most all of those routines before and the crowd was even yelling out punch lines and ruining bits.

Rock's probably one comedian who can make it work on a big arena stage. Rock's been playing big arenas long enough. Bernie Mac was good at being y00ge on stage with his routines and movements. If you're not at all demonstrative/physical, and Bargatze's the opposite of that, you probably shouldn't try to do comedy in anything larger than a 1000 seat venue. Who was the frat guy comedian from a decade or so ago? Everybody hated him but he had the right kind of over the top presentation for arena shows. Dane Cook? I think that's him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:17 pm 

The first twenty minutes absolutely blew. Richard Pryor has to be rolling over in his grave.

Giving this a second shot I’m wishing that Will Smith cracked him harder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Regular Reader wrote:
The first twenty minutes absolutely blew. Richard Pryor has to be rolling over in his grave.

Giving this a second shot I’m wishing that Will Smith cracked him harder.

:lol:

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:19 pm 

i liked it. i thought it was the perfect length. unlike the last chappelle special which definitely dragged in spots, this was pretty tight. he had some really good lines, and to wrap it up discussing the Slap was appropriate.

i think comedians need to rethink how they approach "wokeness". the word is divisive, taken seriously, taken out of context, and so superficial in itself that you'd be better off joking about the word's effect rather than the word itself, or the crowd that abides by it. woke is a stupid word. it's a vapid word, invented by vapid people who have rich, college degrees so they can get blogging jobs and pretend to be serious journalists. there's no substance to it, so mocking it gets real old real fast. and, you can't win when you use that word.

not that chris rock harped on it, but he had an entire bit about it and he used it several times. you can deliver a dagger of a set, annihilating the vacuous people who live by that bullshit, without ever using the word or implicating it.

i did laugh a lot. i liked his story about his mother, growing up in the 50's and how things were (I've actually heard that kind of anecdote before, and it's appalling but not surprising). i also liked linking the story of his daughter and how she ended up, and where his family has ended up. while also admitting the privilege that his daughters have.

i think people get way too wound up over these specials. i don't think i've ever been disappointed with a chris rock special, and this was no different. it was funny, insightful, had its weak points, but still ended strongly. especially the mic drop.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:34 am 

This is going to make me sound even older but while he's entertaining, he's kind of been going over the same ground since the days of his second HBO special. And quite frankly I can do without every other word being n*gger for the first twenty minutes. The subdued reaction of the crowd except for the parts about his mom and then the Smiths seemed appropriate in tenor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:59 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
This is going to make me sound even older but while he's entertaining, he's kind of been going over the same ground since the days of his second HBO special. And quite frankly I can do without every other word being n*gger for the first twenty minutes. The subdued reaction of the crowd except for the parts about his mom and then the Smiths seemed appropriate in tenor.

most of the great comedians have a very small window of greatness and then live on reputation

It's tough to create a great, hour long set. If they can come up with two great specials in their lives, they are pretty talented.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:49 pm 

The Will Smith portion was less comedy and more therapy. He was speaking directly to Smith and we just overheard it. I'd say it was indulgent, if everyone who watched wasn't looking for him to address the incident.

I enjoyed it and I do agree it was a snappy 1 hour without a lot of filler. I like Rock and this played well.

I was solo on teen watch so it was nice to pour myself an irish whiskey friday night and enjoy it by myself for the short window the house was empty.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:10 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
this was very nice :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjZgWmBC2_U