It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I see this is being re-released in theaters starting a week from today. Is anyone here going to check it out? I think if I had a child that was younger and interested, that it would be of interest. Something about seeing a movie in the theater. Not sure how this one would hold up on the big screen with the special effects and such. It's on TV so much these days on various outlets that it seems odd that they put it back out there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:02 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
They did Return of the King a couple weeks ago. It was only in 1000 theaters for one night and it finished 2nd behind Mario. Is this the version with the added stuff in the background? I saw those when they released them before they did the prequels. It was cool finally getting to see those in the theater but the extra stuff annoys me now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I don’t mind most of the changes/updates Lucas has made over the years, especially the technical ones, but the two worst are Greedo shooting first and Vader saying NO! when he grabs Palpatine. For me, that just ruined the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
MongoMuller wrote:
They did Return of the King a couple weeks ago. It was only in 1000 theaters for one night and it finished 2nd behind Mario. Is this the version with the added stuff in the background? I saw those when they released them before they did the prequels. It was cool finally getting to see those in the theater but the extra stuff annoys me now.

I can't tell from what I have read. With it being the 40th of the original version I would hope that is the one they are playing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:47 am 

The Saga version also changed the song at the end.

There’s a 70’s drive-in style version of “Star Wars” out there that’s worth checking out. It’s such a different experience the way it’s edited. Slow-moving and elephantine pace.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:50 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
I would be very surprised if it is original version. I don't think they are going to do anything with those until Lucas is in the ground. A week later they'll announce the 4k box set of the original cuts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
MongoMuller wrote:

the return of the king they released was even longer than the extended cut, too. 260 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
W_Z wrote:

There’s a 70’s drive-in style version of “Star Wars” out there that’s worth checking out. It’s such a different experience the way it’s edited. Slow-moving and elephantine pace.

I saw it in the 70's at a drive in. Old? Yes.. Don't remember that viewing though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:26 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
W_Z wrote:

I saw it in the 70's at a drive in. Old? Yes.. Don't remember that viewing though.

Was he a good kisser?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
The scenes with the Emperor made that movie. Those and the beginning with Jabba.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:14 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Dignified Rube wrote:
The scenes with the Emperor made that movie. Those and the beginning with Jabba.

The movie fell flat. I agree the movie w/ the emperor scenes and the luke and vader scenes made the movie. I think if they made the movie with a father/son conflict that would have made it much better. Sort of like that scene where Vader talks to Luke and Anakin Skywalker finally speaks after 20 years saying 'it's too late for me son'.

The entire Ewok thing was silly.

But what killed the movie for me was the entire premise of a 2nd death star. They had great writers but could not come up with a different idea than what was done 2 movies prior? Nobody wanted to see a half ass deathstar in ROTJ after seeing the awesome one in the first star wars. of course they were gonna blow it up when it's half constructed. it was not menacing and feared as the first death star was when it blew up that planet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Dignified Rube wrote:

And one of the best lightsaber duels in all the Star Wars movies.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Franky T wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

The music was awesome in that duel.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Still my favorite scene from any Star Wars movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlgef12WOpo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
FrankDrebin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Still my favorite scene from any Star Wars movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlgef12WOpo

Dude . . . how's about a spoiler alert next time?

smh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Douchebag wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Was he a good kisser?

I was 2.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
HawaiiYou wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

The movie fell flat. I agree the movie w/ the emperor scenes and the luke and vader scenes made the movie. I think if they made the movie with a father/son conflict that would have made it much better. Sort of like that scene where Vader talks to Luke and Anakin Skywalker finally speaks after 20 years saying 'it's too late for me son'.

But what killed the movie for me was the entire premise of a 2nd death star. They had great writers but could not come up with a different idea than what was done 2 movies prior? Nobody wanted to see a half ass deathstar in ROTJ after seeing the awesome one in the first star wars. of course they were gonna blow it up when it's half constructed. it was not menacing and feared as the first death star was when it blew up that planet.

it was fully operational.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

it was fully operational.