It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Air
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:44 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
Sentimentality sells, I know I was recalling when that shoe came out during the movie with my daughter, and all the music and 1984 references that were dropped made it more fun for me. The Magic and Bird posters they had on the walls at the Converse headquarters also brought back a lot of memories. There was nothing subtle about what they were doing in this movie with all that stuff and that was fine with me.

It was a nice break from overly serious reality and a little silly/campy in parts, like every sports movie from Bull Durham to Slapshot to virtually any football movie.

And that's just fine imo.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Bull Durham and Slapshot isn't history. Listen, being a book reader I know there's a section called historical fiction. That's kinda what this was. The general overall is historical, but the characters were fiction. Phil Knight being ham handed walking into the meeting,"I'm a billionaire CEO, I'm very busy, but I made time" is the equivalent of tripping and falling out the window to a laugh track. There were multiple scenes like this and I don't need to point them out one by one. Is this the story of Air Jordan or the Dick Van Dyke show?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:19 am 

Nardi wrote:
Bull Durham and Slapshot isn't history. Listen, being a book reader I know there's a section called historical fiction. That's kinda what this was. The general overall is historical, but the characters were fiction. Phil Knight being ham handed walking into the meeting,"I'm a billionaire CEO, I'm very busy, but I made time" is the equivalent of tripping and falling out the window to a laugh track. There were multiple scenes like this and I don't need to point them out one by one. Is this the story of Air Jordan or the Dick Van Dyke show?

The point being that this is campy, silly entertainment for 90 minutes that doesn't deserve a lot of thought just like an other sports themed/historical fiction movie. Relax and enjoy it, or don't.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Nardi wrote:

Agree. I liked the movie, but found it to be pretty outlandish and ridiculous with some of the characters and some of the over the top praise they threw on Jordan before he even made his Olympic debut. I don't believe for a second that Sonny had him pegged as a GOAT candidate right after the draft. The movie sure makes it seem that way.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:42 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Nardi wrote:

The point being that this is campy, silly entertainment for 90 minutes that doesn't deserve a lot of thought just like an other sports themed/historical fiction movie. Relax and enjoy it, or don't.

agree. Very enjoyable movie, but probably takes a lot of liberty with the facts.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:46 am 

shakes wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nardi wrote:

agree. Very enjoyable movie, but probably takes a lot of liberty with the facts.

I really dislike that they had a white guy playing the role of Michael Jordan

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:45 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Nardi wrote:

At least you finally admitted it's silly.

I've got the two new leads for the Odd Couple. Sonny and David Falk.

"I'm going to fuck your eyehole" *laughtrack*

The one time I did laugh was at the wackiness was Knight's track suit getup. So it only 99% sucked.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:07 am 

Nardi wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nardi wrote:

At least you finally admitted it's silly.

I've got the two new leads for the Odd Couple. Sonny and David Falk.

"I'm going to fuck your eyehole" *laughtrack*

The one time I did laugh was at the wackiness was Knight's track suit getup. So it only 99% sucked.

I called it silly yesterday but the movie did nicely confirm how I was told that Knight was an odd bird. Hell I even mentioned how until I read the early posts I didn't take anything about the movie seriously.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:12 am 

Regular Reader wrote:

And I don't know that silly fits here. It was much better than I thought it would be.

Then after a while, 'silly' fit here.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:14 am 

Nardi wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

And I don't know that silly fits here. It was much better than I thought it would be.

If I can change and you can change, we all can change :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:15 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:18 am 

:lol: :lol: I hoped someone would get that reference quickly.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:19 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
:lol: :lol: I hoped someone would get that reference quickly.

I got ya on that stuff. :D

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:38 am 

RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I'd be fine with it if it wasn't an hour and a half Nike commercial. Phil Knight DOES NOT come off bad. Fucksake, he saved the day!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Nardi wrote:
I'd be fine with it if it wasn't an hour and a half Nike commercial. Phil Knight DOES NOT come off bad. Fucksake, he saved the day!

How exactly would you tell the story of the rise of the Air Jordan brand without it coming off like a Nike commercial? That like saying Jaws would have been a better movie if it didn't focus so much on sharks.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:01 am 

Air Jaws

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:10 am 

W_Z wrote:
Air Jaws

Jawsnado, (Sharknado, Part 8 )?

Last edited by Regular Reader on Tue May 16, 2023 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:10 am 

Nardi wrote:

How exactly would you tell the story of the rise of the Air Jordan brand without it coming off like a Nike commercial? That like saying Jaws would have been a better movie if it didn't focus so much on sharks.

The difference is it was a Nike commercial, it wasn't LIKE a Nike commercial.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:12 am 

Nardi wrote:
Nardi wrote:

ooooohhhhhhh

gotcha

:?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:12 am 

Eh, everything is a commercial now.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:13 am 

Nardi wrote:
Nardi wrote:

ooooohhhhhhh

gotcha

:?

Glad we're on the same page on the Nike commercial.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:16 am 

Regular Reader wrote:

Then stop watching all the comic book movies and Star Wars garbage.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:17 am 

Frankly I am shocked that anyone still wears Nike considering their relationship with Dylan Mulvaney.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:20 am 

Nardi wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Then stop watching all the comic book movies and Star Wars garbage.

:D I don't watch either. But I'm not in the target demographic.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:21 am 

Frankly I am shocked that anyone still wears Nike considering their relationship with Dylan Mulvaney.

If slave labor won't grab ya, what will?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:36 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Air Jaws

Jawsnado, (Sharknado, Part 8 )?

The Jawshank Redemption

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:40 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Nardi wrote:

who cares? So it was a Nike commercial. Castaway was a glorified FedEx commercial. Doesn't matter, both movies were entertaining. Nike and FedEx should make more movies.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:41 pm 

shakes wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Nardi wrote:

who cares? So it was a Nike commercial. Castaway was a glorified FedEx commercial. Doesn't matter, both movies were entertaining. Nike and FedEx should make more movies.

Don't forget Wilson

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
shakes wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I really dislike that they had a white guy playing the role of Michael Jordan

Yep. That's why they wouldn't let us see his face.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:43 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
It looked like something happened with the script. Affleck just randomly pops in and out it was strange. Chris Tucker character was added at Jordan's suggestion so maybe adding him they took out some of Affleck's scenes. The big meeting was a bust. That should of been the climax of movie and it was brutal everyone is inept except for Fat Damon who saves the day. That guy is full of shit too it was the Bateman character thtat went out and talked to Jordan's mom. The script needed another pass or two for sure. I did like that they showed the posters. I've been collecting them for about 10 years. They were great.