It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GOTG 3
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:33 am 

i haven't been let down once for anything "guardians" (including the holiday special). i was thoroughly satisfied with vol. 3. it definitely packs a much bigger emotional punch, and has some intensely uncomfortable scenes. i read a review that called it "mawkish". i don't think that reviewer (so-called) knows what the word means. i didn't find it manipulative or over sentimental. it just pulled on the heartstrings. makes you want to go home and hug your animals tighter.

my only two issues were interconnected: the pacing, and the warlock character. he seemed a bit forced in there, to pad out time and create a mini-boss (marvel has always had problems with "mini-boss syndrome"). he winds up serving a purpose but it's a bit contrived. there were times when i shifted in my seat...but it wasn't as bad with padding time as some other marvel movies.

i still thought it was pretty solid. rocket's story was endearing, and well constructed. the new gamora was also a nice touch to basically re-introduce her relationship with pete.

:D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:28 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Isn't it like their 3rd best hold ever? I took my kids to see it today while my wife is visiting her family. I enjoyed it for the most part, kids really liked it.

Yeah its had 2 weeks with a hold under 50% so it has some legs unlike the other Marvel stuff that drops off a cliff after 1st week. Maybe Disney will realize the director matters. Gunn is Tarantino compared to the other hacks Disney has been using. We'll see if this affects the Pakistani woman's rights documentarian that is shooting the next Star Wars movie. :lol:

Are your kids interested in the new Mermaid movie? I'm very curious to see how that one does. It seems kids don't like the animal friends because they just look like normal animals. Plus its too long.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
MongoMuller wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Isn't it like their 3rd best hold ever? I took my kids to see it today while my wife is visiting her family. I enjoyed it for the most part, kids really liked it.

Yeah its had 2 weeks with a hold under 50% so it has some legs unlike the other Marvel stuff that drops off a cliff after 1st week. Maybe Disney will realize the director matters. Gunn is Tarantino compared to the other hacks Disney has been using. We'll see if this affects the Pakistani woman's rights documentarian that is shooting the next Star Wars movie. :lol:

Are your kids interested in the new Mermaid movie? I'm very curious to see how that one does. It seems kids don't like the animal friends because they just look like normal animals. Plus its too long.

My kids are older. I probably shouldn't call them kids anymore but at times they are still 12, 9 and 6 in my mind instead of the oldest being 20 now. The boys have expressed zero interest and my daughter has expressed the opposite of interest. She hates the life action Disney remakes. Whether it's because they are messing with her childhood or she'd prefer they, I don't know, come up with some new material, I'm not entirely sure. She eye rolled the preview pretty hard before GOTG. The Marvels preview looked like a train wreck to me but I'm guessing I'm not the target audience.

I'm of the opinion that most movies are too long these days. I'm really settling in comfortably to the grumpy old man when it comes to movies. Pakistani documentarian... Sure.... Why not.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:02 am 
1000 CLUB

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
My kids are older. I probably shouldn't call them kids anymore but at times they are still 12, 9 and 6 in my mind instead of the oldest being 20 now. The boys have expressed zero interest and my daughter has expressed the opposite of interest. She hates the life action Disney remakes. Whether it's because they are messing with her childhood or she'd prefer they, I don't know, come up with some new material, I'm not entirely sure. She eye rolled the preview pretty hard before GOTG. The Marvels preview looked like a train wreck to me but I'm guessing I'm not the target audience.

I'm of the opinion that most movies are too long these days. I'm really settling in comfortably to the grumpy old man when it comes to movies. Pakistani documentarian... Sure.... Why not.

I don't know what they're thinking with a kids movie that is 2 hours and 20 minutes. The original cartoon was an hour less than that so not sure what they felt they needed to add. Marvels is going to be a major flop and they know it but there's nothing they can do it at this point. Filming ended 2 years ago but they've had to do 5 sessions of re-shoots to try and get this turd in a viewable state. It seems Guardians 3 is their only real chance to make any money this year. Disney might realize they made a serious now that the money has run out. They fired the Ant Man writer off the next Avengers movie. That's going to flop too if they don't bring people back.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:43 am 

At some point they will have to remove the people making these decisions if the movie/shows keep tanking. Avengers is going to be a tough sale with the amount of the big name characters that left the franchise. Whatever, I really only watch them these days as sort of a bonding experience with my youngest boy. He's fully embraced the roll of monosyllabic teenager so it's something I guess.

They really are on a roll of bad. Some of it is probably over saturation of this type of movie to be honest (I think Star Wars suffers the same problem). Some is they are running out of the more familiar characters even if the GOTG movies kind of bucked that trend to succeed and Antman did okay for first two movies I think.

I do miss the 90 minute movies. They are pushing into the realm of needing intermissions for some of these films these days.Especially with the gallon sized drinks they sell.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:34 am 
1000 CLUB

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
At some point they will have to remove the people making these decisions if the movie/shows keep tanking. Avengers is going to be a tough sale with the amount of the big name characters that left the franchise. Whatever, I really only watch them these days as sort of a bonding experience with my youngest boy. He's fully embraced the roll of monosyllabic teenager so it's something I guess.

They really are on a roll of bad. Some of it is probably over saturation of this type of movie to be honest (I think Star Wars suffers the same problem). Some is they are running out of the more familiar characters even if the GOTG movies kind of bucked that trend to succeed and Antman did okay for first two movies I think.

I do miss the 90 minute movies. They are pushing into the realm of needing intermissions for some of these films these days.Especially with the gallon sized drinks they sell.

They just fired the #2 at Marvel but their movies and shows take so long to make they still have stuff in the pipeline they know is going to fail. Warner is in the same boat. They got rid of everyone last year but had to release Black Adam and Shazam knowing they were going to flop. Flash is like Guardians 3 for them...that's their only chance to make money. They have a terrible Aqua-Man movie coming and then a bad Blue Beetle movie and both are going to flop. Marvel has The Marvels which is going to lose a lot of money then they did a show for Disney+ coming that is supposed to be really bad. Its a deaf girl with no legs and Daredevil is her sidekick. Its supposed to be terrible. Daredevil is blind and she is deaf I guess they think that will be interesting. I doubt it.

I've heard they want longer movies now because the way streaming works is the ratings are measured in minutes. They don't want something counted as a view if person clicked off after 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
W_Z wrote:
i haven't been let down once for anything "guardians" (including the holiday special). i was thoroughly satisfied with vol. 3. it definitely packs a much bigger emotional punch, and has some intensely uncomfortable scenes. i read a review that called it "mawkish". i don't think that reviewer (so-called) knows what the word means. i didn't find it manipulative or over sentimental. it just pulled on the heartstrings. makes you want to go home and hug your animals tighter.

my only two issues were interconnected: the pacing, and the warlock character. he seemed a bit forced in there, to pad out time and create a mini-boss (marvel has always had problems with "mini-boss syndrome"). he winds up serving a purpose but it's a bit contrived. there were times when i shifted in my seat...but it wasn't as bad with padding time as some other marvel movies.

i still thought it was pretty solid. rocket's story was endearing, and well constructed. the new gamora was also a nice touch to basically re-introduce her relationship with pete.

:D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

My problem is they took my favorite character out of the action scenes until the end. I appreciate the backstory, but how do you take a main character out of so much of the movie? It had less humor. I loved the first two. This one was a chore.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:10 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:
They just fired the #2 at Marvel but their movies and shows take so long to make they still have stuff in the pipeline they know is going to fail. Warner is in the same boat. They got rid of everyone last year but had to release Black Adam and Shazam knowing they were going to flop. Flash is like Guardians 3 for them...that's their only chance to make money. They have a terrible Aqua-Man movie coming and then a bad Blue Beetle movie and both are going to flop. Marvel has The Marvels which is going to lose a lot of money then they did a show for Disney+ coming that is supposed to be really bad. Its a deaf girl with no legs and Daredevil is her sidekick. Its supposed to be terrible. Daredevil is blind and she is deaf I guess they think that will be interesting. I doubt it.

I've heard they want longer movies now because the way streaming works is the ratings are measured in minutes. They don't want something counted as a view if person clicked off after 5 minutes.

That daredevil show sounds awful. I mean, that might be almost fun bad but I guess it will fall into the realm of not going to waste my time on. In general I haven't been a huge fan of the Marvel series that Disney has done, Always feels like Warner, outside of Batman, has a hard time in general with their DC movies. I guess Wonder Woman was successful as well. Oh well, was never a big comic book guy.

Long movies for streaming are fine because I can hit pause and take a break to use the facilities but at that point I'd almost appreciate a longer burn with more development. Although, how much development do you really need in a popcorn movie? 90 minutes, that's how much.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:

That daredevil show sounds awful. I mean, that might be almost fun bad but I guess it will fall into the realm of not going to waste my time on. In general I haven't been a huge fan of the Marvel series that Disney has done, Always feels like Warner, outside of Batman, has a hard time in general with their DC movies. I guess Wonder Woman was successful as well. Oh well, was never a big comic book guy.

Long movies for streaming are fine because I can hit pause and take a break to use the facilities but at that point I'd almost appreciate a longer burn with more development. Although, how much development do you really need in a popcorn movie? 90 minutes, that's how much.

The Flash is gonna make money because of Keaton. Blue Beetle looks like Iron Man, I guess I will watch it.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:41 am 
1000 CLUB

Cashman wrote:
The Flash is gonna make money because of Keaton. Blue Beetle looks like Iron Man, I guess I will watch it.

Something happened with Flash. It was trending for a 140 million opening now its down to 70 which is a disaster. Maybe its a negative reaction to the trailer I can't think of anything else. They have a problem with the guy playing Flash being a criminal weirdo but I didn't think that would start back up until closer to opening. I think Ezra Miller shows how inept these studios are...they had to know he was a psychopath and he's not even that great an actor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
My mom died last last week and one of my buddies took me to see it, so of course I cried like a little bitch at the otter scenes. Nice work Disney

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:13 pm 

Damn sorry to hear :( . This would not be the movie I’d recommend after losing a loved one.

I would recommend “Roadhouse”.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Well I know I won't be watching the first GotG movie anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
W_Z wrote:
Damn sorry to hear :( . This would not be the movie I’d recommend after losing a loved one.

A guy tells another guy - mid-karate fight - that he used to fuck guys like his karate opponent whilst he was in prison.

And that barely cracks top 10 most ridiculous moments in the second half of the movie.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
W_Z wrote:

A guy tells another guy - mid-karate fight - that he used to fuck guys like his karate opponent whilst he was in prison.

And that barely cracks top 10 most ridiculous moments in the second half of the movie.

James B Conant legend has it that IMU had a similar moment on the freshman wrestling team. He was getting pinned by a guy from Hoffman Estates and said, I get butt fucked by guys like you in the wrestling room all the time.