It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barbenheimer!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Barbie movie and Oppenheimer on the same day. Which will be better? Which will be worse? Discuss!

Post subject: Re: Barbenheimer!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:13 am 

I don't really understand what is going on in Oppenheimer. It's a true story. We know how it ends. They build the bomb. They don't destroy the world. The trailer acts like there is some grand drama that you have to watch the movie to find out if everyone survives like it's Independence Day or Signs.

That doesn't mean it won't be a great movie but it's kind of like creating a movie about JFK getting shot and having the commercials for it basically being "Will he get shot?". Yes, he will.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
At least Oppenheimer is an adult movie about real life. Not some asshole in a cape.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Brick wrote:
I don't really understand what is going on in Oppenheimer. It's a true story. We know how it ends. They build the bomb. They don't destroy the world. The trailer acts like there is some grand drama that you have to watch the movie to find out if everyone survives like it's Independence Day or Signs.

That doesn't mean it won't be a great movie but it's kind of like creating a movie about JFK getting shot and having the commercials for it basically being "Will he get shot?". Yes, he will.

Same, but I'll look forward to the ignition and the CGI involved to make it look spectacular and the following "holy shit" moment where they probably actually think mankind is done for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Nardi wrote:
Brick wrote:

Same, but I'll look forward to the ignition and the CGI involved to make it look spectacular and the following "holy shit" moment where they probably actually think mankind is done for.

Supposedly they recreated the trinity test without CGI.

I have no idea what that means but I saw a headline so it must be true.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Brick wrote:

Did you hate Apollo 13 as well?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:34 am 

Darkside wrote:
Brick wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:40 am 

Darkside wrote:
Brick wrote:

I don't believe that was marketed with the idea of whether they would make it back to Earth or not.

"Are you saying there is a chance when we push that button that we destroy the world?"
"The chances are near zero."

The rest of it is then how he gave men the power to destroy themselves which we know hasn't happened yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:50 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Apollo 13 sucked. Almost all Ron Howard films suck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:51 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
List of movies Brick hated before he ever saw them -

Patton
Goodfellas
Amadeus
All the President's Men
Titanic
Seabiscuit
Secretariat
Moneyball
Zero Dark Thirty
Ray
Brian's Song
The Big Short
Escape from Alcatraz
The Great Escape (they gave the ending away in the title there)
Band of Brothers
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:52 am 

Tall Midget wrote:

Almost. Apollo 13 was solid as was Cocoon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:53 am 

Brick wrote:

I didn't get that from the trailer I saw, but I knew it was a biographical film so I didn't even consider that there would be doubt. I also heard that some of the people who previewed it thought it was incredibly depressing. He knowingly helped create a weapon of mass destruction, its not like he was out celebrating the rest of his life.

One of the more interesting threads through modern human history is "creating the bigger weapon for peace". One of my favorite books of all time is The Social History of the Machine Gun and it has a lot of parallels to the invention of the nuclear bomb. I want to say it was Marx who felt that the machine gun is so devastating, it would stop war as no one would want to deploy something so terrible. He didn't account for generals who were willing to send thousands of people hurtling to their death as the bullets were flying. I hope Oppenheimer got some solace in the fact that a bomb hasn't been denotated since WW2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:54 am 

I guess this means Brick is in the Barbie Movie camp.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:57 am 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Brick wrote:

I didn't get that from the trailer I saw, but I knew it was a biographical film so I didn't even consider that there would be doubt. I also heard that some of the people who previewed it thought it was incredibly depressing. He knowingly helped create a weapon of mass destruction, its not like he was out celebrating the rest of his life.

One of the more interesting threads through modern human history is "creating the bigger weapon for peace". One of my favorite books of all time is The Social History of the Machine Gun and it has a lot of parallels to the invention of the nuclear bomb. I want to say it was Marx who felt that the machine gun is so devastating, it would stop war as no one would want to deploy something so terrible. He didn't account for generals who were willing to send thousands of people hurtling to their death as the bullets were flying. I hope Oppenheimer got some solace in the fact that a bomb hasn't been denotated since WW2.

This is the trailer I am referring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KD8JwDmMFA
Pretty much the whole thing is building up drama around something we already know all the answers to especially the last minute of it which I referenced above.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:59 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Nardi wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Almost. Apollo 13 was solid as was Cocoon.

Cocoon was pretty good, Apollo 13 was not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:02 am 

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

Pretty much the whole thing is building up drama around something we already know all the answers to especially the last minute of it which I referenced above.

To play devil's advocate, how else are you going to build hype for a biographical film? How terribly boring would you think the movie is if they led with, "Oppenheimer is sad because he built a bomb that killed a lot of people. Here's his story. Its very sad."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:08 am 

To play devil's advocate, how else are you going to build hype for a biographical film? How terribly boring would you think the movie is if they led with, "Oppenheimer is sad because he built a bomb that killed a lot of people. Here's his story. Its very sad."
Isn't that basically the movie though?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:11 am 

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

It does seem to be a dumbed down version of the Trinity story. Nobody was conflicted until after it went off. The scientists wrote Truman a letter begging him to use it as a demonstration, not as war weapon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:14 am 

Brick wrote:

It is, but back to my point, would you prefer they advertised it this way?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:16 am 

Brick wrote:

Do I want movies to advertise the actual story of the movie? Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

recalled that some production company was taken to court for this exact reason. Plaintiffs claimed the trailer advertised a movie plot that wasnt legit. Googled it and it was from that movie Yesterday. Sued because the trailer shows Ana de Armas, but she isnt in the movie. US Courts confirmed that studios can be sued over this.

https://ew.com/movies/ana-de-armas-fan- ... -trailers/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
When I read up on the limited amount of theaters playing Oppenheimer in 70mm IMAX film, I was sad to see no theater in Illinois listed. I'll be seeing it in Tempe. Sucks to suck I guess!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:06 am 

Tall Midget wrote:

you suck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:08 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

you suck

#StopTheHazing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:08 am 

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

There was plenty of intrigue around the development of the bomb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:15 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Nardi wrote:
It does seem to be a dumbed down version of the Trinity story. Nobody was conflicted until after it went off. The scientists wrote Truman a letter begging him to use it as a demonstration, not as war weapon.

That's not accurate. Stimson had serious concerns about it months before the decision was made but ultimately allowed it to proceed.

Truman did as well but not to the same degree. Some of it was to probably try to ignore the real ramifications of what they planned to do.

All of it is conflict and conflict is drama.

Brick - it's not the destination, it's the journey. I know how my story ends but I still plan to see it.

In any event, I find that stuff interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:21 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Nardi wrote:

That's not accurate. Stimson had serious concerns about it months before the decision was made but ultimately allowed it to proceed.

Truman did as well but not to the same degree. Some of it was to probably try to ignore the real ramifications of what they planned to do.

Brick - it's not the destination, it's the journey. I know how my story ends but I still plan to see it.

We may be talking different time frames. There was no hullabaloo about developing the bomb. Once Trinity became a reality and the nazis were toast, then the shit kinda hit the fan.

Last edited by Nardi on Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:21 am 

I am excited for the movie. I don't understand the marketing of it like it's a mystery what happens. To me, the trailer seems more like Interstellar than it does Apollo 13.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:24 am 

Nardi wrote:
Nardi wrote:

We may be talking different time frames. There was no hullabaloo about developing the bomb. Once Trinity became a reality and the nazis were toast, then the shit kinda hit the fan.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I’d like to see the Oppenheimer movie but going to a theater sucks. I saw the Indy movie and the place was empty. Only seniors in the place and half fell asleep on those reclining seats.

It’s such a hassle to go to a theater these days.

Also not a big fan of Ron Howard movies like someone posted earlier