It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Barbenheimer!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:41 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:59 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Just got back from Oppenheimer. It was good but probably a little too much hype going in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:27 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
FavreFan wrote:
Brick wrote:
This is one of the more bizarre takes I've ever seen you have. The movie isn't marketed as a suspense movie, of course there's no question about what actually happens. Ken sorta handled the rest of why it's such a bizarre opinion.

Have you heard about some sort of category of women that he can’t explain?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:28 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I've noticed a dramatic increase in gratuitous male nudity in films and television. I'm sure its some kind of equity initiative. However, the women rarely showed that much and they frequently employed merkins to only give the appearance of full nudity.

I appreciate a skrag like Sydney Sweeney who is willing to take it all off in any show at the drop of a hat.

One wiener next to another wiener. Flopping wieners weiners weiners.

Sounds like Barbie is going to be a disappointment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:41 am 

Spaulding wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Brick wrote:
This is one of the more bizarre takes I've ever seen you have. The movie isn't marketed as a suspense movie, of course there's no question about what actually happens. Ken sorta handled the rest of why it's such a bizarre opinion.

Have you heard about some sort of category of women that he can’t explain?
The fact that you ignored something I explained doesn't mean I didn't explain it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:18 am 

Brick wrote:
The fact that you ignored something I explained doesn't mean I didn't explain it.

What does acts like a woman mean and how does that make someone a category of women. Your explanation wasn’t ignored. It was ridiculous and can’t be taken seriously.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:28 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Brick wrote:

What does acts like a woman mean and how does that make someone a category of women. Your explanation wasn’t ignored. It was ridiculous and can’t be taken seriously.
This seems to be you changing it to you not liking my explanation rather than not providing an explanation.

I understand that you are so dug in on this that you won't ever change your stance and that it actively bothers you to a large degree that everyone doesn't agree exactly with you. No need to restate the whole thing again. My point is simply that I did explain it. You just didn't like my explanation which is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:08 am 

Your explanation was a guy acts like a woman (whatever that means) so he's some sort of category of women. It's complete nonsense.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:29 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Your explanation was a guy acts like a woman (whatever that means) so he's some sort of category of women. It's complete nonsense.

It's ok if you feel that way. Clearly though, you know I did explain it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:23 pm 

You really didn't though. A man can't turn into a woman or a category of woman. I have no idea what acting like a woman means or why that would make someone a woman and you can't explain any of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
I'll be honest, I'm biased towards Nolan's movies. Oppenheimer felt like his second best film after The Dark Knight. I'll try to keep this spoiler free, but if you go in expecting a typical Hollywood story, you'll probably be bored to death by it. Oppenheimer's character development is really drawn out in the first 30-45 minutes and I was all in for it. The portrayal of a man at odds with his brilliance, his flaws, his lust for and eventual loss of power, and his overall demise from one of the hardest decisions a human being has been asked to make on this planet was spot on. Two of the three nudity scenes and the fabricated conflict between the scientists were probably the only thing keeping me from saying it was a perfect movie. Everything else is just great from the sounds to the visuals to the acting. Both Robert Downey Jr. and Cillian Murphy deserve Oscar nominations. In many ways, it felt like as much of a biopic of America between the 1920's and 1970's as it was a biopic of Oppenheimer. From the lens of American history, it really points at this country's hypocrisy (we need to stop a country from creating a weapon that will kill hundreds of thousands of people by building a weapon and killing hundreds of thousands of people, freedom of speech but not freedom to express different ideologies) as much as its governmental power and control over its people. Can't wait to watch it a second time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
I'll be honest, I'm biased towards Nolan's movies. Oppenheimer felt like his second best film after The Dark Knight. I'll try to keep this spoiler free, but if you go in expecting a typical Hollywood story, you'll probably be bored to death by it. Oppenheimer's character development is really drawn out in the first 30-45 minutes and I was all in for it. The portrayal of a man at odds with his brilliance, his flaws, his lust for and eventual loss of power, and his overall demise from one of the hardest decisions a human being has been asked to make on this planet was spot on. Two of the three nudity scenes and the fabricated conflict between the scientists were probably the only thing keeping me from saying it was a perfect movie. Everything else is just great from the sounds to the visuals to the acting. Both Robert Downey Jr. and Cillian Murphy deserve Oscar nominations. In many ways, it felt like as much of a biopic of America between the 1920's and 1970's as it was a biopic of Oppenheimer. From the lens of American history, it really points at this country's hypocrisy (we need to stop a country from creating a weapon that will kill hundreds of thousands of people by building a weapon and killing hundreds of thousands of people, freedom of speech but not freedom to express different ideologies) as much as its governmental power and control over its people. Can't wait to watch it a second time.

I was luke warm on it. About 40 to 50 percent of it was just a bureaucratic drama, which was the least compelling story line they could have followed. It reminded me a lot more of Good Night, and Good Luck than your typical Nolan film. I need to watch Inception and Interstellar again before I devote any additional time to this movie.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
BigW72 wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Apollo 13 sucked. Almost all Ron Howard films suck.

Never saw Apollo 13, but good Ron Howard Movies:
- Backdraft
- A Beautiful Mind
- Night Shift
- Gung Ho

Parenthood
Frost/Nixon

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

My sister saw Barbie with her 14 year old daughter. Her daughter liked it. My sister hated it. Said it was too woke and political. She said she didn’t expect that.

I told her that everyone was expecting that and she should have known. Anyway, both of my sisters aren’t like Julie.

All movies are trending woke. Especially Disney.

I think Barbie should have been black and Ken should have been Puerto Rican. They have a kid out of wed lock and they both battle heroin addictions. That would have been the "Woke" Barbie movie that America needs to see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:10 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
I had a very big thing for Jennifer Jason Lee before she went and got old

So did Noah Baumbach.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:14 am 
Site Admin

Brick wrote:
I don't really understand what is going on in Oppenheimer. It's a true story. We know how it ends. They build the bomb. They don't destroy the world.

Wait for Part Two.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Warren Newson wrote:

I was luke warm on it. About 40 to 50 percent of it was just a bureaucratic drama, which was the least compelling story line they could have followed. It reminded me a lot more of Good Night, and Good Luck than your typical Nolan film. I need to watch Inception and Interstellar again before I devote any additional time to this movie.

Don't bother re-watching Interstellar. Decent movie, sure, but the kind of movie about which marginally intelligent people will say, "Dude, that was deep." I watched it again to see what I was missing...what a waste. Go Sox!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Don't bother re-watching Interstellar. Decent movie, sure, but the kind of movie about which marginally intelligent people will say, "Dude, that was deep." I watched it again to see what I was missing...what a waste. Go Sox!

I loved it but I'm a time travel slut.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I loved it as well, but feel the need to watch it again to be certain of what the hell actually happened.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's

Appreciate the thoughts and the details. My wife and I definitely want to see this, but likely will be a while. Sitting in a movie theater in the heart of summer is a firm "no" for us. Contractually, Nolan stipulated 90-120 days of theater until going to Streaming services. We will see if my wife cracks on this and we actually go to the theater and see it. :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I like time travel too - I saw a good one on Netflix called The Age of Adaline. It has Harrison Ford in it and he does a good job not being Han Solo or Indy Jones. Check it out.

blackhawksfan wrote:
Just got back from Oppenheimer. It was good but probably a little too much hype going in.

good review. I'll skip it then.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Gotta watch "They Cloned Tyrone" first.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:49 am 

Barbie movie raking in cash

Nobody cares about nuclear winter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:41 am 

i had seen saager's review from BP on the film, but held off on HiTB's video until i saw it, since we went yesterday.

i definitely liked a lot of it, but agreed with saager that the film trails off after the bomb testing sequence is over. the build-up to that was so great, that the rest of the film just seems like a really long coda.

in fact, the pace of the film completely falls off a cliff and becomes more an assembly of oscar bait scenes of big monologues and melodramatic quarreling. of course it was important to understand how oppenheimer got railroaded following the war, and the interrogation scenes are still pretty good. but i felt like all of that could've still been wrapped around the ultimate conclusion of witnessing the test of the explosion, and maybe in a final 5-minute scene after visiting truman (didn't realize how truman was that turned off by him), showing his regret of allowing the military to own the science and potentially release this kind of weapon on the world.

overall i still thought it was mostly a strong film. certainly will get a lot of oscar buzz. but i still wasn't really sure if i knew who oppenheimer the man was after seeing it. it's tough, because scientific introverts can be impossible to get to know...we do see things from his perspective. some of his decisions aren't really explained or understood.

but the first 2 hours go by very fast, and i was totally into it. the last hour really lagged.

:D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I found the last hour of Oppenheimer to be the best and strongest part of the movie. Full of suspense and a reflection on consequences. Downey deserves an Oscar. I could have done without the beginning of the movie. We get he was a womanizer. It was quite a long and slow buildup.

The 70mm IMAX screen here in Tempe was spectacular. Great movie, not the best movie I've ever seen though. It was eerie hearing the theater laugh after the U.S. military official told the room not to bomb Kyoto because he honeymooned there and enjoyed it. The audience's laughter felt confusing. It's such a fucked up line.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
W_Z wrote:
i had seen saager's review from BP on the film, but held off on HiTB's video until i saw it, since we went yesterday.

i definitely liked a lot of it, but agreed with saager that the film trails off after the bomb testing sequence is over. the build-up to that was so great, that the rest of the film just seems like a really long coda.

in fact, the pace of the film completely falls off a cliff and becomes more an assembly of oscar bait scenes of big monologues and melodramatic quarreling. of course it was important to understand how oppenheimer got railroaded following the war, and the interrogation scenes are still pretty good. but i felt like all of that could've still been wrapped around the ultimate conclusion of witnessing the test of the explosion, and maybe in a final 5-minute scene after visiting truman (didn't realize how truman was that turned off by him), showing his regret of allowing the military to own the science and potentially release this kind of weapon on the world.

overall i still thought it was mostly a strong film. certainly will get a lot of oscar buzz. but i still wasn't really sure if i knew who oppenheimer the man was after seeing it. it's tough, because scientific introverts can be impossible to get to know...we do see things from his perspective. some of his decisions aren't really explained or understood.

but the first 2 hours go by very fast, and i was totally into it. the last hour really lagged.

I took away the fact that Oppenheimer was an extremely complex individual. Brilliant, yet he was oblivious to the consequences of his actions around associations with communists. His willingness to kill a professor foreshadows his ability to make a decision to help build a weapon of mass destruction. The second half was his struggle with not being properly recognized for his achievements while simultaneously feeling regret for the way the bomb was used. RDJ taking his security clearance away marked the end of aspirations and essentially silenced him, but it backfires.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:35 am 

there's definitely a correlation between the apple poisoning and the bereft feeling of consequences of building a bomb. i still think some of the more potent points get a bit lost in the extensive interrogation/antagonistic scenes (both against oppenheimer, and strauss).

the criticisms i have aren't outweighing the fact that i still think it's a good film. i wouldn't nominate it for best screenplay though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:40 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:51 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
W_Z wrote:

Portions of my daughter’s review via text:

I busted out laughing several times. It was sooooo dumb

The gasp I heard (from the others in the theater) when “atomic bomb” was said… I wanted to turn around and ask if they were homeschooled. I can’t believe people think that that’s a huge reveal

They also treat Einstein like an MCU level Easter egg. It’s… definitely a movie! At 3 hours it felt a little too self-important. Christopher Nolan must think very little of my time if he thinks every minute of that movie needed to make the cut.

She said later on the phone that she thought the screenplay was very hamfisted at points as well.

One thing she said she liked was the cast and the acting, and some of the cinematography.

I’ll wait for it to stream.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next