PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:00 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Entirely different eras.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
Entirely different eras.

Probably, but that's true of about every decade. If the different eras take place within the same decade, they invite comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Warren Newson wrote:
Music

Early 90's>Mid 90's>Late 90's

Yes, this is entirely correct.

Not sure about the others.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:30 am 

Decades don’t take shape until roughly halfway through. The 80s weren’t the 80s until about 1985.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Music

Early 90's>Mid 90's>Late 90's

Yes, this is entirely correct.

Not sure about the others.

Music really degraded over the course of that decade, but it rebounded nicely during the first half of the 00's. The other two mediums were a lot harder to rank, and I wouldn't quibble with a different order for either of them. I picked mid 90's for television because The Simpsons and Seinfeld were in their prime at that point, but the late 90's saw the beginning of prestige TV. I picked the late 90's for movies on the strength of The Matrix, Fight Club, and American Beauty, but you could have put almost any set of years in the first slot for that category.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
W_Z wrote:
Decades don’t take shape until roughly halfway through. The 80s weren’t the 80s until about 1985.

Mad Men early years map to 1960++ with its 50's feel (or so we're told, none of us were there) first few seasons. Men still rocking hats and saying wrong things and women in their proper place (at home in the kitchen, doped up on happy pills)

50's end and 60's launch on 11/22/63, took a year or two for fashion/music et al to evolve tho. so more like 65 or later before you're getting proper 60's nonsense.

October 1973 OPEC fuckery running til Nixon pulls out in August the next year for the 60's terminus.

70's dropping off tracks more about music, although I suppose if you wanted an Executive Branch connection Hinckley capping Ron Reagan Jr's dad in March 81? Despite 1981 having both the Go-Go's fun-pop turn and the uber-80's-iconic Human League Dare album among the music released that year--it wasn't until the next year that 80's Mt Rushmore contender Don't You Want Me charted in the US and the year after that before Rolling Stone even noticed Human League were a band (of sorts).

Other 1981 releases still sound 70's over 80's to me: Rolling Stones Tattoo You with the disco-vibe single; Rush were still releasing Rush albums; whatever Ghost in the Machine was it doesn't 80's as much as Synchronicity; Rick James still Rick James on Street Songs.

I Love Rock and Roll sounds like an 80's band trying and failing to do proper 70's rock--wonder if that's a Mutt Lange production. Of course it is. Fucking Lange destroyed music for a minute or a generation there. He's fine in small doses (Back in Black and High-n-Dry) but did he have to produce every band on the radio and make them all sound the same.

Like director John Hughes, Lange's success and not unquality early career work allowed him to go on to produce a metric fuckton of crap. Hughes got cut off by the movie industry eventually, plus I think he dead. Lange still out there, shitting all over our radios, afaik. Haven't fucked with music only/non-talk radio since Obama was king.

Late 82 Thriller's released and then 83 goes full 80's with karma and gender chameleon Culture Club, Cyndi Lauper looking for fun, Lionel Richie dancing on ceilings all night long. Good Dolphin's favorite Huey Lewis and the News releases Sports, breaking the hearts of rock and music fans worldwide when it goes on to be played non-stop on FM radio and MTV for too many years to come.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
the 90s were still 10 years ago

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:40 am 

I pretty much missed the middle and late 90s.