It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
watch movies and tv with subtitles on

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I started doing this a few years back. Highly enhanced my watching experience. I am gen X, but gender XY.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I use it most of the time, doesn't work great for comedies though as it spoils the delivery.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:19 am 

Lillyhammer is the only show I will watch with subs. Otherwise I hate them it makes me feel like I'm a dirty foreigner.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:59 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
My wife has them on all the time. I find it annoying but admit that sometimes I pick up on some dialogue that I normally would have dismissed or wasn’t sure about. I identify as a Gen X’er :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:36 am 

As far as movies or films or proper "cinema" go, as soon as you choose to consume/experience a movie-film or piece of cinema anywhere other than a movie theater with a 30 foot x 50+- foot screen with booming, chair-rattling, all-consuming thx/dolby/whatever-whatever movie theater immersive audio you're making compromises. you'll never recreate the experience of viewing and hearing a movie in a theater in a home theater setup, even if your Michael fucking Jackson rich with millions to blow on AV gear. It's just never gonna match the full-on, big-ass screen and sound theater experience.

TV never used to require or even rise to the level of production quality that it even made sense to watch Happy Days or Three's Company or Seinfeld or The Office even on top-shelf AV gear or in a movie theater. "Prestige TV", starting with Sopranos or maybe Buffy The Vampire Slayer's or even the X-Files or Homicide's more elaborate episodes I suppose--now TV has caught up to movies in production quality and exceeds most of the dreck in theaters in writing/story.

if you really care that much about experiencing the production of films as intended, you'll get your ass out to the local theater and watch them. And to the extent that TV or prestige TV's competing and winning against films on story, it almost makes sense to be locked into the dialogue more than when watching the latest Marvel or Transformers or Disney movie. As far as streaming services go, there's a reason Adam Sandlers's low to mid grade films dominate Netflix, they are in no way proper cinema worthy and barely rise above the level of the situation comedies of days or yore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am 

you aren't really watching the show if you are reading the subtitles

I don't even have them on for Peaky Blinders and there is no way anyone but a birminghamer is understanding all of that dialogue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:

I don't even have them on for Peaky Blinders and there is no way anyone but a birminghamer is understanding all of that dialogue

Well, you're a real man. Me, I get my panties in a bunch when I don't understand what these pussies in Birmingham have to say.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:56 am 

Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Well, you're a real man. Me, I get my panties in a bunch when I don't understand what these pussies in Birmingham have to say.

oy, blimey, ovah-cas dye todye, innit?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
That was really interesting, Hussra. I have 50% hearing loss in both ears (more complicated than that, but that's basically what it is), and so I frequently watch with subtitles on. Netflix and sports are generally the tv shows I don't use them for. Sports announcers are intelligible to me without captions (though that fucking Benetti is so annoying I watch with the volume off).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
we find we don't need it when we pop in a blue ray. but anything streaming its required because you can't hear a damn thing. and if you are streaming something that has ads, the ads are x10 as loud as the show. so we naturally keep it low and have subtitles on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:02 pm 

I actually understand that. They record stuff so dynamic and most people don't have the equipment to render that properly. So it ends up sounding like Julie decauaro experiencing my love physically

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
My kids watch with subtitles. I get it, with stuff going on in house it can be hard to hear what's going on. Since I don't watch the talkies it has no impact on me one way or the other although sometimes the dastardly piano music is missed..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
My kids watch with subtitles. I get it, with stuff going on in house it can be hard to hear what's going on. Since I don't watch the talkies it has no impact on me one way or the other although sometimes the dastardly piano music is missed..

your children should be grounded

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
My wife got me hooked on them and I love them. When I go to the movie theater, I miss them immediately. I love being able to read ahead when a scene is too slow moving for my tastes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Before watching with the subtitles, I didn't realize how much people scoffed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:14 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
"painstakingly mixed sound?" Not on my devices. Half the time the background sounds drown out the dialogue. Thus my use of subtitles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:16 am 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:

:lol: Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:29 am 

it's the worst for comedies. my FIL has hearing aids which only make him slightly less hard of hearing. so he always has captioning on when we go over to their house. usually i put on old "raymond" reruns and reading a joke before it's delivered really sucks. i have to train my eyes *away* from the text.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:07 am 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:

awesome shirt. my alma mater recently changed their official school mascot from [ ] to the Mighty Bannons or maybe Banyans; but the [Scoffs] inside the empty/null set notation >>++ apropos.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:08 am 

Hussra wrote:

... my alma mater recently changed their official school mascot from [ ] to the Mighty Bannons or maybe Banyans; but the [Scoffs] inside the empty/null set notation >>++ apropos.

This? Looks like it was designed by the same intern as who designed the latest Illinois license plate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:25 am 

yeah, some are calling it the "Mighty Bannons" as a piss-take on Desantis' misguided effort to turn it into the "Hillsdale of the South".
While there was a large crunchy granola contingent, the professors and staff leaned conservative to libertarian (as older folks tend to do, a lot of retired Foreign Service and other government types on the faculty / in the admin), seemed to me. But the missed-the-60's-hippy-crew were always the loudest. e.g., we had an excellent economics professor who was ex-CIA. She leveraged her CIA connections to bring a CIA recruiter on campus for interviews for summer internships/post-graduate jobs/whatever (apparently the CIA needs economists more than it needs cloak and dagger spies). Well, the crunchy granola crew got wind of the impending CIA recruiter visit, rushed to fill up the time-slots and then used their allotted time each to yell at the recruiter about the CIA's nefarious activities. Thanks, assholes. WTF.

Parties were decent, the "PCPs" Palm-Court Parties in the courtyard of the overly ballyhooed at the time IM Pei designed studio apt style dorms (which you shared with another student unless you ponied up for one of the few singles available or were an RA, who got singles as part of the gig). And then weekly WALL parties, again named for sitting on the brick retaining walls surrounding the Palm Court and doing what college students do.

Found out pretty quickly the first year the clown college down the road whipped the llama's ass when it came to throwing all-out bashes. Technically it was called or maybe still is Ringling School of Art and Design, a feeder school for Disney animators and such. They turned their tiny little campus on Tamiami Trail into an all-out interactive haunted house with 3 rooms of dj music and decorations. We were geeked when we brought in extra sound for the once or twice a semester "Wall" parties. These mofos put us to shame with their effort to make a fun party.

Things got weird in the alumni mailing lists a decade or so back: an alumni from slightly before my time offed his aging-out-of-it wife in Mexico and threw her down a well or in a sewer (mother of his children too).
I think he was one of the co-creators of MTV's Pimp My Ride and went on to win Emmy Awards for producing reality TV (survivor). Going to Hollywood and working behind the scenes was a path of choice for those not pursuing PhDs or some sort of graduate level education or who got turned down by the CIA to help ruin sub-Saharan African economies.

What's dumb about Desantis' initiative is one of the main things the Desantis folks called out and one of the first things they did was dismantle the Diversity Equality Inclusion dept--which in New College's case meant firing one person. Well, New College didn't even have a DEI department or staffer *until* someone in Desantis' administration got a bug up their bum about it post-George Floyd and mandated
that all public colleges in Florida have a DEI department..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:28 am 

every time New College is referenced in the mainstream media it seems to be populated by self important jerkoffs (no offense to Hussra). It may be a completely incorrect assessment but that is how they present themselves to the larger world

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:35 am