It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Futurama (Hulu)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:38 am 

This has been the best "re-boot" of a TV series that I can think of. I'd put "Kids in the Hall" in there, too, in 2nd place. I would've liked to put "Animaniacs" in there (had a strong beginning), but I couldn't finish the 2nd season and have had zero interest in their 3rd.

It's like time never passed. There are a few timely jokes and gags put in there; but, for the most part, it's just like the old show.

I've already seen articles about how "this is the show we need right now", which is the new "ending explained" as far as nauseating self-importance coming from internet bloggers. I will say, though, it's the show I've wanted...for a while now.

I do wish they'd release more than one episode per week, since they're only about 25-27 minutes long. But it's given me something to look forward to watching.

Post subject: Re: Futurama (Hulu)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:47 am 

this show really went off a cliff after the first couple episodes. we didn't watch the christmas one yet, saving that for after thanksgiving. but it was almost like the idea was to reel in people to think this is just like the old show and then...bam, have these topical episodes that just reach the one superficial audience that so much comedy suffers from doing these days.

i think the weakest, and the worst example of this, was the COVID episode. considering that it's going to take probably an entire generation to truly move on from this absolute mess of a pandemic, it's cynical to just pick the easy side to mock throughout it. it was at worst just unfunny, but it could also be called tasteless. there are a few attempts to "generalize" the satire, like making a side effect of the virus to just make people go crazy. again, though, it still seems to make fun of only one kind of person.

then there's the "cancel culture" episode that seems to want to pick at how ridiculous it can get...but it still goes for the easy targets. and again, the comedy suffers because of it.

the last few episodes just start to unravel. there's an episode that has a very thin plot about "the prince of space" but it's basically a bunch of vignettes revolving around commercials that has a few laughs but mostly is just weird.

the last episode has cool visuals, and a decent ending but is also really complex with the whole "are we in a simulation?" idea.

overall it becomes a mixed bag, which is a shame. it started off so strong.

:D :D out of :D :D :D :D for the season.