It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:59 am 

Maybe it makes sense that this was quietly released on Hulu today (I saw ads for it while watching various YouTube videos). At 93 minutes, it's a slog. First, there is *zero* dialogue in the entire film. For the first 10 or so minutes, it wasn't noticeable. I just found myself asking, "Has anyone spoken yet?" Then, at around the half-hour mark, it's becoming an irritating gimmick. By the end, it ranks as the 3rd most annoying thing about it.

the plot is razor thin. a woman, appearing to be rejected by the townspeople she lives around, is single and living in her family home by herself. her mother is dead. and she writes to a friend she hasn't seen in 10 years. it becomes painfully obvious why that is pretty early on. but it takes the entire movie to finally reveal the backstory (not in flashbacks, necessarily). but as she's dealing with this...aliens come down to invade.

and that's really all it is. it's like "war of the worlds", "cloverfield", "signs", just think of any alien invasion movie and it has every single cliche. there may be one or two somewhat inventive things, but not nearly enough to save it from being totally predictable.

but the worst thing about it is the ending. i'm sure some idiot critic will give it credit for being original. but it's only original because no one should ever, ever think that this kind of ending would work in a decent film. it's ludicrous, empty-headed, and extraordinarily lame.

the only "star" is kaitlyn dever, whom i do like as an actress. she acts as well as she can without really saying anything (except one line, repeated for effect in a scene).

somehow this has a 91% Fresh Rating. i can only say...this is why today's society blows.

:D out of :D :D :D :D