It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Winning Time-HBO Max
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Lakers mini-series. Looks good, especially if you know some of the history. This show assumes you know the history of a lot of things and therefore will be tough to follow for a lot of people.

The guy they got to play Magic is pretty spot on and clearly somewhat of an athlete. Always a gripe of mine when they can't find athletes to play athletes.

Jerry West features as well. Don't like the constant 4th wall breaking aspect but it's a good show if you love the ol NBA.

Post subject: Re: Winning Time-HBO Max
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:50 pm 

The truth behind those teams is wild. And completely one of wolves.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Spiegel and the producers were effusive in their praise…it sounds pretty cool.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
1st ep was good

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:10 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Bernstein had the writer of the book on a few days ago, I was only able to listen to a few minutes of the interview but the guy openly admitted that the director stretches the truth or completely made up some of the scenes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:25 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Jerry West has an IQ higher than 25.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Jerry West has anger issues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:00 am 
Site Admin

White men are evil.

DRUMPF feeds college athletes hamburgers because he is an evil white man.

Jack Kent Cooke feeds college athletes sand dabs because he is an evil white man.

Quote:
Johnson stabbed the listless sand dab with his fork. Nudged it around a bit. Pushed it left. Pushed it right. “I can’t eat this,” he said. Cooke, a man who knew a high-quality sand dab when he saw it, was outraged. “What are you talking about?” he said. “Do you know how much that fish costs?” “If it’s OK with you, Mr. Cooke, I think I’d rather have a hamburger and some French fries,” Johnson said softly. “Would that be OK?” This was not the way to make a good impression. Cooke was a formal man with formal tastes. If he wanted sand dabs, dammit, everyone was eating sand dabs. In this particular particular case, however, Hearn—one of the few men who had the owner’s ear—intervened. “The guy’s only nineteen,” he said. “The only thing he knows is hamburger and pizza.” A resigned Cooke sighed, then yelled toward the kitchen, “Can we have a hamburger?” Nothing. “A hamburger!” he screamed. “Get the man one!” Within minutes, Earvin Johnson was gripping a burger. The accompanying smile was that of an eight-year-old securing a Happy Meal. “You know,” Jerry West later said to Johnson, “nobody has ever done what you just did to Jack Kent Cooke.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: What??
So people don't believe that Norm Nixon embarrassed Magic on Donald Sterling's backyard basketball court?

This is closer to Will Ferrell's Tropics than Showtime. But whatever, Logo was pretty funny.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
So people don't believe that Norm Nixon embarrassed Magic on Donald Sterling's backyard basketball court?

:lol: :lol: This is a true story. My friend's cousin was an absolute stud player on the first North Park championship team. This guy is just tough as nails. Anyway, he somehow got invited to the Lakers free agent camp the same year they drafted Nixon. He completely and utterly outplayed Nixon and actually came close to making the team as the last man.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:27 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
According to Winning Time:

Jerry West is a cretinous, mentally ill sociopath whose voice and immense achievements should be disregarded since he never won a championship as a player (except when he did win a championship as a player).

Jack Kent Cooke is a narcissistic megalomaniac whose affinity for humiliating blacks and women defines him as a villainous reprobate.

Jerry Buss is a narcissistic megalomaniac whose affinity for black people and women make his narcissism and megalomania charming.

Magic Johnson, one of the greatest basketball players in the history of the sport, smiled instead of speaking his revolutionary truth to get along with whitey.

The NBA was floundering in the 1970s because white people suck.

The End.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:28 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

:lol: :lol: This is a true story. My friend's cousin was an absolute stud player on the first North Park championship team. This guy is just tough as nails. Anyway, he somehow got invited to the Lakers free agent camp the same year they drafted Nixon. He completely and utterly outplayed Nixon and actually came close to making the team as the last man.

The minute I saw Adam McKay was the director, ....and after that first scene where Magic's driver is bawling, ...Ok, this is gonna be Bizzaro World Showtime.

This could be really good. It's a shame they won't be able to fit Phil Jackson in. Oh well, Pat Riley should be fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:35 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
According to Winning Time:

Jerry West is a cretinous, mentally ill sociopath whose voice and immense achievements should be disregarded since he never won a championship as a player (except when he did win a championship as a player).

Jack Kent Cooke is a narcissistic megalomaniac whose affinity for humiliating blacks and women defines him as a villainous reprobate.

Jerry Buss is a narcissistic megalomaniac whose affinity for black people and women make his narcissism and megalomania charming.

Magic Johnson, one of the greatest basketball players in the history of the sport, smiled instead of speaking his revolutionary truth to get along with whitey.

The NBA was floundering in the 1970s because white people suck.

The End.

Where'd you play your ball in the '70's?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Jerry West had major anger problems and was disliked by a whole ton of people. That's not debatable. But I am not so sure he was against Magic being drafted, although Sidney Moncrief was a stud NBA player. And Johnson's dribble WAS high and susceptible to being stolen and he WAS a poor outside shooter due to having a shooting form that looked like he was doing a shot put.

Norm Nixon was an excellent guard and was a major piece of the Lakers winning their title Magic's first season. The Lakers did get better when they exchanged him for Scott but he was still a good player.

I had completely forgotten the Goodrich acquisition bv the Jazz which gave the Lakers the pick for Magic. The Jazz were really trying to be competitive with that move. The Cavs with Ted Stepien routinely gave away their first picks too, to the point that the league banned them from the practice. And Worthy came in due to a similar move. That's how lucky the Lakers were, the 1979 draft was garbage.

Jack Cooke, bad guy. Jerry Buss, not a real good guy either. Both of those are true.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:38 am 

I think Cooke was the inspiration for Mr. Burns.

Anyone remember the great moment in Score history with North interviewing Cooke? "Are you the 55 miler"

I suppose they refuse to touch the truth about Magic and instead just perpetuate the myth that he had a ravenous appetite for ladies.

I hated the Lakers and the Celtics. The 76ers were my team and Dr. J was my favorite players

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
good dolphin wrote:

Anyone remember the great moment in Score history with North interviewing Cooke? "Are you the 55 miler"

I suppose they refuse to touch the truth about Magic and instead just perpetuate the myth that he had a ravenous appetite for ladies.

I hated the Lakers and the Celtics. The 76ers were my team and Dr. J was my favorite players

I'm with you on the Sixers. I liked Jordan in the mid 80s but LOVED Barkley. I about wore out my NBA Superstars VHS tape with his highlight reel set to "The Warrior"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVRGjRBwT0I

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:32 am 

T-Bone wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'm with you on the Sixers. I liked Jordan in the mid 80s but LOVED Barkley. I about wore out my NBA Superstars VHS tape with his highlight reel set to "The Warrior"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVRGjRBwT0I

Sixers have always been the poor man's America's Team. Doc, Moses, Chuck, AI, hell, even Chocolate Thunder, and now Embiid.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Do you think this thing was originally going to be titled Showtime but HBO required a change? Winning Time is a very odd title and everyone knows the nickname of those Lakers teams was "Showtime." I mean, even the book was entitled Showtime, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Saw it last night, was pretty good.

But a bit too much with breaking the 4th wall and the use of special effects to make it look like shitty early 80s television feed quality.

But the story is good so far.

Adrian Brody is going to play Pat Riley. Let's see how that works. He's not tall enough.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Nardi wrote:

This is closer to Will Ferrell's Tropics than Showtime. But whatever, Logo was pretty funny.

that seemed a little ridiculous. They could have done that scene differently instead of it happening at a all white party with all white people and the only 2 brothers prove themselves at some magically basketball court ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Heard that Michael O'Keefe plays Cooke. Haven't seen him since he played Danny Noonan in Caddyshack. Also, I can see Adrian Brodie as Pat Riley.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Do you think this thing was originally going to be titled Showtime but HBO required a change? Winning Time is a very odd title and everyone knows the nickname of those Lakers teams was "Showtime." I mean, even the book was entitled Showtime, etc.

:lol:

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Heard that Michael O'Keefe plays Cooke. Haven't seen him since he played Danny Noonan in Caddyshack.

Holy Shit! He and I are both OLD! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
White men are evil.

DRUMPF feeds college athletes hamburgers because he is an evil white man.

Jack Kent Cooke feeds college athletes sand dabs because he is an evil white man.

Quote:
Johnson stabbed the listless sand dab with his fork. Nudged it around a bit. Pushed it left. Pushed it right. “I can’t eat this,” he said. Cooke, a man who knew a high-quality sand dab when he saw it, was outraged. “What are you talking about?” he said. “Do you know how much that fish costs?” “If it’s OK with you, Mr. Cooke, I think I’d rather have a hamburger and some French fries,” Johnson said softly. “Would that be OK?” This was not the way to make a good impression. Cooke was a formal man with formal tastes. If he wanted sand dabs, dammit, everyone was eating sand dabs. In this particular particular case, however, Hearn—one of the few men who had the owner’s ear—intervened. “The guy’s only nineteen,” he said. “The only thing he knows is hamburger and pizza.” A resigned Cooke sighed, then yelled toward the kitchen, “Can we have a hamburger?” Nothing. “A hamburger!” he screamed. “Get the man one!” Within minutes, Earvin Johnson was gripping a burger. The accompanying smile was that of an eight-year-old securing a Happy Meal. “You know,” Jerry West later said to Johnson, “nobody has ever done what you just did to Jack Kent Cooke.”

Mods please move to politics

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:36 am 
1000 CLUB

Just saw the first episode.

1. So Jerry West didn't want to draft Magic Johnson? Jerry Busse made him do it? I never knew that.

2. I didn't know West was an angry/hostile mother fucker. Always seemed like a kind gentlemen in all interviews I've seen of him.

3. I always thought of him as a fairly intelligent guy. They portray him as a dumb ass as you guys have said.

It's a show. They're using some poetic license, obviously. I find it funny. But Jerry West has to be pissed watching this. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:16 pm 

[quote="City of Fools"]Jerry West had major anger problems and was disliked by a whole ton of people. That's not debatable.

Jack Cooke, bad guy. Jerry Buss, not a real good guy either. Both of those are true.

I've heard some wild stories about West's anger and intensity to this day. But most of his players revere him. Buss and Cooke were peculiar guys though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:21 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jack Kent Cooke, who founded the Los Angeles Kings and remarked that all the Canadians who moved to California must have done so because they don't like hockey.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Curious Hair wrote:
Jack Kent Cooke, who founded the Los Angeles Kings and remarked that all the Canadians who moved to California must have done so because they don't like hockey.

:D dumb thing for an owner to say, still a good line

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

One of the main messages of Winning Time already seems clear:

Cooke's exploitation of black talent to further enrich himself was unacceptable because he was an overt racist and misogynist; in contrast, Buss' exploitation of black talent to further enrich himself was laudable because he subscribed to a hipster ethos that valued inclusivity (even as it objectified women and reified black identity).

In this regard, the show perfectly illustrates the behavioral rather than structural nature of the identity politics social critique and begins to suggest how it functions as a catalyst for the relegitimization rather than delegitimization of neoliberalism, the single global force of exploitation currently in existence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next