It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Exorcist: Believer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:54 am 

do I see it or not? It's obviously living off the name of a movie as old as me. I don't need to be the guinea pig for figuring out whether it could stand on its own. I know Zack will see it, so maybe I will wait until late october. The previews are showing you so little of the story that it leads me to believe it will be a steaming pile What it does show doesn't seem to be consistent with the experience of exorcists, which was the strength of The Exorcist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:43 am 

Oh, it's Blumhouse

This will be missable.

There is plenty of content within the subject matter of possession that has never been explored cinematically.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
I enjoyed the first season of the Exorcist series on tv a few years back. The second season not as much and then it was cancelled.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
The trailer seemed pretty intense, but who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Take this for what it’s worth cuz I’m not for sure. But gun to head id say it was real. I suppose it could have been a dream. When I was 20 I heard these demonic voices talking in a language I didn’t recognize while I was trying to go to sleep. The room got very cold. I was levitated off the bed 4 feet in the air. I started saying the “our father” and they went away and I was gently dropped back into my bed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Beardown wrote:
Take this for what it’s worth cuz I’m not for sure. But gun to head id say it was real. I suppose it could have been a dream. When I was 20 I heard these demonic voices talking in a language I didn’t recognize while I was trying to go to sleep. The room got very cold. I was levitated off the bed 4 feet in the air. I started saying the “our father” and they went away and I was gently dropped back into my bed.

Yeah ok.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:34 pm 

Beardown wrote:

i can pay you for weed in bitcoin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Same thing happened to me last night.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Yeah ok.

I know. I wouldn't expect anybody to believe me. I've never told anybody for that very reason. But I'll tell you guys since we'll never meet. And I don't consider any of you "real" anyway.

But I'm not looking to impress anybody. I know you all despise me if you believe it or not. You probably wish the devil would have gotten me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Wow, the reviews on this thing are terrible. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_exorcist_believer

Quote:
This is not an homage; it's not even fan service. The Exorcist: Believer is the laziest of cheap cash grabs that treats its talent in front of the screen like cogs in a wheel and its audience like idiots.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:41 am 

I watched one of the trailers. They bring in the mom from the original. In about a 10 second clip I hear her say something about how they must use all the different kinds of exorcisms from all different religions.

Imagine going through what she did and seeing the effect of the catholic rite of exorcism then pulling an "all religions are equal".

Modernists.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:03 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Have you seen The Pope's Exorcist? It's about a real priest so I thought it might be cool. It's interesting for awhile but then it devolves into Tango and Cash vs. the Devil. At the end I was laughing and I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:35 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Have you seen The Pope's Exorcist? It's about a real priest so I thought it might be cool. It's interesting for awhile but then it devolves into Tango and Cash vs. the Devil. At the end I was laughing and I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be.

I watched it on an international flight. I don't remember anything about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Wow, the reviews on this thing are terrible. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_exorcist_believer

Quote:
This is not an homage; it's not even fan service. The Exorcist: Believer is the laziest of cheap cash grabs that treats its talent in front of the screen like cogs in a wheel and its audience like idiots.

did they use holy water or consecrated holy water?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Tully Hall
I am The Exorcist. Making an Exorcist movie without me is like when you go to Frontier Days to see Foghat and you find out that Lonesome Dave has been dead for twenty years and the current lead singer used to be one of the roadies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:46 pm 

I am going to see this tonight with my daughter. By coincidence she is home from school this weekend and she and I are horror movie buddies. I have long proclaimed The Exorcist as my favorite horror movie ever so if this movie is the train wreck I am confident it will be OR it is unexpectedly good I will I will give an honest opinion here tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:47 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

:lol: You're so right!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:58 pm 

This movie actually started with a little potential - the first third of the movie was a pretty decent “possession” story. Things went bad quickly however and the middle and end of the movie were laughably bad. It’s a shame, because for a minute it had my interest.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Beardown wrote:

Demonic possession might be the best explanation for your posts so I’m a believer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:41 am 

i was surprised by how much i liked this. i kept waiting for the bottom to drop out, but aside from some over the top special effects in the climax, the film stayed true to itself throughout. while there were some underdeveloped subplots (what difference did it make that the dad and deceased mom were photographers?) and some odd misdirections, it wound up being a pretty enjoyable (and even moving) film. i liked the tie between chris macneil/regan and the fieldings. and there was quite a true-to-faith message about how a lukewarm christian (katherine's parents) can end up costing you.

it wasn't as unsettling as the original, or its best sequel--exorcist 3. but, it was satisfying for me. i liked the slow burn, the patience it took with establishing the characters, and the maturity and seriousness of the subject.

definitely much better than the "halloween" trilogy this guy did.

:D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:48 am 

I believe had this movie simply focused on the Fieldings instead of splitting this story into two different sub-stories it could have been a decent movie. The silly "diverse" exorcism climax was head-shakingly bad. I would have liked to seen a follow-up as to how they explained their way out of all of that to the cops that showed up at the end, they would have had more than a little explaining to do as to what exactly happened in that living room.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:34 am 

W_Z wrote:
i was surprised by how much i liked this. i kept waiting for the bottom to drop out, but aside from some over the top special effects in the climax, the film stayed true to itself throughout. while there were some underdeveloped subplots (what difference did it make that the dad and deceased mom were photographers?) and some odd misdirections, it wound up being a pretty enjoyable (and even moving) film. i liked the tie between chris macneil/regan and the fieldings. and there was quite a true-to-faith message about how a lukewarm christian (katherine's parents) can end up costing you.

it wasn't as unsettling as the original, or its best sequel--exorcist 3. but, it was satisfying for me. i liked the slow burn, the patience it took with establishing the characters, and the maturity and seriousness of the subject.

definitely much better than the "halloween" trilogy this guy did.

:D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

this has been the only positive review I have seen but I trust you more than the others. Most say the first hour is good and then it becomes laughably bad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:56 am 

I take “laughable” with a grain of salt. I believe in this stuff. Therefore I think it can happen, has happened, and is depicted in a way that I bought. What MOFO is talking about can be seen as an exaggerated Marvel-esque superhero “all hands on deck” with the different religions coming together to do a cross-the-streams exorcism. But some of the effort intrigued me (like when the Haitian woman’s smoke engulfs the mist projected out from the girls). I know that mist as basically the Devil’s Rain. To me, it seemed like they actually researched this stuff, and that’s what I appreciated. Maybe to an impartial observer it comes off as ludicrous. For me it worked.

I did think the exorcism scenes started to rely on effects more than that patient build in the beginning but the way it ends, surprised me at how effective it was.

I highly doubt cops would think these people had anything to do with the carnage, considering the lead detective already understood that the kids were possessed by something.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:47 am 

Also, the Ellen Burstyn role seemed tacked on to me - almost like she signed on and they created that storyline after the rest of the story had already been written. I didn't mind her being in the movie but he involvement in the case seemed tacked on and wasted. the "it takes a village" approach of exorcism had the theater groaning. I think a big part of the problem is that the whole idea of exorcism is no longer shocking or scary, it has been done over so many times, and so many times better than this. Again, I do think the potential for a decent movie was in there somewhere. I liked the Fieldings and they did a good job getting me invested in them. i thought the build-up was pretty good but it just spiraled out of control in the end with wildly hilarious leaps of logic that were impossible to ignore, even in a make-believe horror movie. We will see how the "Deceiver" sequel plays out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:52 am 

Maybe they address it in the movie (which I haven't seen) but, as I wrote earlier, if you are Mcclain and you have seen the efficacy of roman catholic rite, why wouldn't you stick with what you know works?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:57 am 

that is one of many "hmmmmm" moments in this picture. Although the Catholic priest they scrambled up for this movie doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:13 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
that is one of many "hmmmmm" moments in this picture. Although the Catholic priest they scrambled up for this movie doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I'm going to hold off on addressing the religious aspects until I see it but, it does seem like there is some hollywood agenda.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:19 am 

Well I will give it this - we sat in the theater, enjoyed it for what it was, and talked about it all the way home, even if it probably wasn't for the reasons the makers of the movie intended.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
good dolphin wrote:
Maybe they address it in the movie (which I haven't seen) but, as I wrote earlier, if you are Mcclain and you have seen the efficacy of roman catholic rite, why wouldn't you stick with what you know works?

She didn't see it work. Father Karras coaxed the demon into himself and had control long enough to kill himself, but the exorcism did not work.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:48 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
Also, the Ellen Burstyn role seemed tacked on to me - almost like she signed on and they created that storyline after the rest of the story had already been written. I didn't mind her being in the movie but he involvement in the case seemed tacked on and wasted. the "it takes a village" approach of exorcism had the theater groaning. I think a big part of the problem is that the whole idea of exorcism is no longer shocking or scary, it has been done over so many times, and so many times better than this. Again, I do think the potential for a decent movie was in there somewhere. I liked the Fieldings and they did a good job getting me invested in them. i thought the build-up was pretty good but it just spiraled out of control in the end with wildly hilarious leaps of logic that were impossible to ignore, even in a make-believe horror movie. We will see how the "Deceiver" sequel plays out.

I’m looking forward to the third movie, The Exorcist: Receiver, about how the devil can’t even make Chase Claypool into a viable offensive weapon.