It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
W_Z wrote:
stretching this two more episodes is only strengthening my feelings on hawley as a writer. this plot is extremely thin.

and it only took the oldest cliche in the book for the deputy to leave her husband.

It has been plodding along the last 3 episodes. Have a feeling when all is said and done we will look back and say they could have done this in 6 episodes. Still have hope for a strong finish and/or twist of some kind.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:19 am 

Only one episode left. This last one was not bad I guess. Kind of pushed the storyline ahead with Gator and some of the other ancillary characters. I found it ridiculous that the Sheriff's deputy shows up on scene at the ranch and basically asks the SWAT and FBI folks if he can lead a team, and they just let him. No way that actually happens. I'm interested to see how it all wraps up. I would say this was better than seasons 3 and 4 but not as good as the first two.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:26 pm 

A whole episode that just bookmarks for the finale.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:32 am 

W_Z wrote:
A whole episode that just bookmarks for the finale.

I believe I mentioned it earlier in the thread but this probably could have been a better series at 7 or 8 episodes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:39 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I don't understand the Munch character. Is he supposed to be an immortal? If so, why? Couldn't he just be a quirky killer? It's weird.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:07 am 

My wife hates that storyline and she’s been impatient with this season especially in the last few episodes. When Roy was making the video “calling all Patriots” she said, “Oh, January 6th…” like. Yeah, this is probably the most egregious case of beating (abusing) you over the head (call the national domestic violence hotline) that Hawley has done.

Also, the line about witch hunting was also wrong. Plenty of women were hunting witches in that century. A lot of the accusations came from women.

I think Munch is a perfect name—literally eating the scenery to pad a very thin plot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:41 am 
Site Admin

W_Z wrote:
When Roy was making the video “calling all Patriots” she said, “Oh, January 6th…” like.

I think it's supposed to be more like the Bundy family.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:05 pm 

that was probably the shell of the concept, a jumping off point; but that was a land dispute and this is about a man in power who can't relinquish it. hawley is not subtle. he even can't resist writing a completely uncharacteristic line of dialog for lorraine when she refers to trump as "the orange idiot".

even the vulture article creaming all over the episode (proving more and more that these recap droids are stroking off to what they learned in their writing classes at Columbia) sees it:

Quote:
Put another way, as Odin does: is he Hitler at the beginning of his career or at the end? Is this the beginning of a revolution or a desperate last act? Whether or not Roy is a true believer in his right-wing extremism or just using it as a convenient way to hold onto power has been a question all season. (A season that, it should be noted, keeps finding more ways to seem topical.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
You guys notice the female impersonator of Law and Order Richard Belzer? Good ol' Detective Munch. I'm going to assume Hawley made a homage?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:35 pm 

Great from beginning to end. A beautiful ending, actually.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:01 am 

after the 9th episode, i was expecting to be underwhelmed by the finale as well...and i was. the whole thing with munch was pretentious empty-headed drivel. the guy started off as a bit funny, almost fish-out-of-water, i guess a symbol of "old world" to "new world" and eating the biscuit washed away the sin-eating. seriously, this is creative writing 011 or junior high level superficiality.

lorraine's character arc made no sense because i honestly don't believe that someone who begins the story insisting on holding assault rifles for a christmas card suddenly has a change of heart because she sees some horrific pictures of her daughter-in-law (that she seemed to hate even more when she found out she had a former identity she lied about) and becomes the champion of all women. it was contrived and way too on-the-nose.

the first few episodes and last few episodes were like two completely different shows. the latter was so abrasively noble that it twisted my stomach. and i swear the girl who plays scottie already has no soul.

i couldn't wait for this to be finished...and it just kept going on, and on, fade after fade. it's a shame, it had some great moments. but it ended on a whimper.

:D :D out of :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:43 am 

Had quite a bit of hope for this one halfway through but once it started to unravel it just lost all form and function. I don't even know what that was all about at the end with Munch at the house. :scratch:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:46 am 
Site Admin

T-Bone wrote:
I don't even know what that was all about at the end with Munch at the house. :scratch:

Yeah, I'm not sure either. But Nardi is right that it was kind of beautiful.

I guess I just don't understand a show where every element is based in reality (okay, so you have to suspend disbelief to accept Dot as a cross between Chuck Norris and Rambo), and then there's this one supernatural character.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:02 am 

Would you rather put your time into Grey's Anatomy? I mean, c'mon, get off your high horse. All the Fargos are pretty goddam good compared to all the schlock we see in theaters and TV.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:11 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
I don't even know what that was all about at the end with Munch at the house. :scratch:

Yeah, I'm not sure either. But Nardi is right that it was kind of beautiful.

I guess I just don't understand a show where every element is based in reality (okay, so you have to suspend disbelief to accept Dot as a cross between Chuck Norris and Rambo), and then there's this one supernatural character.

It was about Dot taking off his ear. Sure, it's a reach. So what? So is every Batman.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:14 am 

i'd rather put my time into shows that are written well. i have never watched "grey's anatomy" but i certainly watched "ER" for at least most of its run.

as i've said before, a lot of modern shows are horribly written. the storytelling is extremely off-pace or contrived, the characters are peaks and valleys but very rarely 3-dimensional. and then there's the sociopolitical motivation behind so many shows that it's off-putting.

i was happy to see that "northern exposure" finally came to streaming. rich in character, good storytelling, and although i stopped watching after joel left, it was pretty solid through those years. also, a show that could balance reality and surreality extremely well.

i hope this also paves the way for more offbeat 90's shows to get this treatment: "due south" comes to mind.

at this point i'm finding myself re-watching stuff from that era, drawn to it more, than anything that's current.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:21 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
WZ is seconds away from revealing that he's a big Ally McBeal fan. True story.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:23 am 

RDJ almost saved that show from itself, but even he couldn't. it was even too tough a task for peter mcnichol.

david e. kelley sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:33 am 

W_Z wrote:
i'd rather put my time into shows that are written well. i have never watched "grey's anatomy" but i certainly watched "ER" for at least most of its run.

as i've said before, a lot of modern shows are horribly written. the storytelling is extremely off-pace or contrived, the characters are peaks and valleys but very rarely 3-dimensional. and then there's the sociopolitical motivation behind so many shows that it's off-putting.

i was happy to see that "northern exposure" finally came to streaming. rich in character, good storytelling, and although i stopped watching after joel left, it was pretty solid through those years. also, a show that could balance reality and surreality extremely well.

i hope this also paves the way for more offbeat 90's shows to get this treatment: "due south" comes to mind.

at this point i'm finding myself re-watching stuff from that era, drawn to it more, than anything that's current.

Well, you watched 10 episodes. So you either liked it or hate watched it. There is no in between or you would have turned it off and never given it a second thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:43 am 

I liked the first half or so; I do not hate watch. That’s dumb and a double waste of time. I will finish something I started if the time commitment is warranted.

I’d say the season started falling apart for me around the 8th or so episode and I was pot-committed by then, so I was obliged to at least finish it.

On the flip side, I maybe got 4 episodes into the 3rd season years ago and gave up. Same with “True Detective” S2 (maybe lasted 2 episodes), and another recent example would be “The Sandman” (only made it halfway). I only watched the pilot of “Lucky Hank”. See, I hated it. Had I watched the rest of that season I would’ve been “hate-watching”.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:58 am 

W_Z wrote:
I liked the first half or so; I do not hate watch. That’s dumb and a double waste of time. I will finish something I started if the time commitment is warranted.

I’d say the season started falling apart for me around the 8th or so episode and I was pot-committed by then, so I was obliged to at least finish it.

On the flip side, I maybe got 4 episodes into the 3rd season years ago and gave up. Same with “True Detective” S2 (maybe lasted 2 episodes), and another recent example would be “The Sandman” (only made it halfway). I only watched the pilot of “Lucky Hank”. See, I hated it. Had I watched the rest of that season I would’ve been “hate-watching”.

Fair enough. I guess I'm a simp for being moved by the ending. Yes, it's odd hubby and little girl aren't scared shitless but it's Fargo. It's always Fargo. It's Fargo culture.

Frankly I was most pissed about Trooper Whit not blowing Jon Hamm's brains out. Luckily, that got cleaned up promptly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:01 pm 

I hate watched Lost. Probably like most people.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:10 pm 

I gave up on “Lost” around the time of the time traveling being introduced. I did come back for the final half of the last season including the finale. I was so angry about how that show fell apart that it made me give up on TV for years. I had to play catch-up on better shows years after it was over.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:40 pm 

W_Z wrote:
I gave up on “Lost” around the time of the time traveling being introduced. I did come back for the final half of the last season including the finale. I was so angry about how that show fell apart that it made me give up on TV for years. I had to play catch-up on better shows years after it was over.

Had a plot hole every fucking scene. It was great to yell at a TV other than at a sports event.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Had a plot hole every fucking scene. It was great to yell at a TV other than at a sports event.

Just a trial run for the great The Leftovers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:05 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Would you rather put your time into Grey's Anatomy? I mean, c'mon, get off your high horse. All the Fargos are pretty goddam good compared to all the schlock we see in theaters and TV.

I agree that Fargo has raised the bar on occasion, most notably the first two seasons. I watched the other two seasons although they felt a bit like work. Season 5 was really moving along and was enjoying it, but just didn't understand what they were trying to achieve with the last 4 episodes or so. I am certain there is a much "deeper" meaning I was supposed to be pulling from this, but it sailed completely over my head.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:00 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I agree that Fargo has raised the bar on occasion, most notably the first two seasons. I watched the other two seasons although they felt a bit like work. Season 5 was really moving along and was enjoying it, but just didn't understand what they were trying to achieve with the last 4 episodes or so. I am certain there is a much "deeper" meaning I was supposed to be pulling from this, but it sailed completely over my head.

Same as always really. Naive people trying to keep their chin up in the face of senseless violence. It's a fantasy and it's why every episode has claims it's a true story. It's part of the fabric.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Nardi wrote:
Great from beginning to end. A beautiful ending, actually.

:salut:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
W_Z wrote:

I somehow missed Northern Exposure in the 90's. My wife and I just finished S1, E1. It was okay, but not great. If you viewed this series through 2024 eyes, would you think it was still a worthy investment of your time?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:24 pm 

it depends on how much you like the characters, because that's what drives the show. it's very offbeat, but the pilot isn't necessarily the best example of the series. it's a pilot. a lot of setup. joel comes off as just whiny.

i'd say the show starts to take shape around episode 3 or 4. for me it still holds up. we're up to about episode 7 so far. it's not really a "binge" show.