It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: True Detective: Season 4
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:56 am 

I'm already out on this show, but looking at the trailers, it seems like they took Panderverse Cartman's advice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:59 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Have they brought Alexandra Daddario back? If so, I'm in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: John's
They should have just cancelled this show after season 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
season 3 was better than decent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:26 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Have they brought Alexandra Daddario back? If so, I'm in.

same with that Percy Jackson show, although she might have gotten a little old to be fighting teenagers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:49 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
There was a supernatural element in Season 1 that was interesting. I guess they play it up more in Season 4 but the trailer didn't look that great to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Getting some decent reviews. I'll check out the first few episodes and see how it goes. This series has been very up and down with season 1 being excellent, season 2 I don't honestly even remember, and season 3 was decent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
The show is always more character driven than story driven. I loved the characters in the first season and liked the Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell characters in the second season. The third season....eh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
It was always too convoluted, but I have watched them all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Warren Newson wrote:
The show is always more character driven than story driven. I loved the characters in the first season and liked the Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell characters in the second season. The third season....eh.

Awful take. Season 2 sucked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:37 am 

Season 1 was the best TV I have ever seen, until the last episode. It never delivered. When season 2 started out mediocre I didn't feel the need to continue to invest my time ending it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:17 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Expectations were high for Season 2. I was trying to think of a better season of TV than Season 1 and couldn't really think of one. I think the director of Season 1 got metoo'd and he was the one that wanted to make it more stylized with the supernatural and pulp feel. Season 2 was just a normal show...pretty boring.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
denisdman wrote:
It was always too convoluted, but I have watched them all.

I thought it was just me. Still, I did enjoy #1.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:33 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Season 1 was the best TV I have ever seen, until the last episode. It never delivered. When season 2 started out mediocre I didn't feel the need to continue to invest my time ending it.

Really? Have you watched The Wire? In my opinion, seasons 1, 3, and 4 are easily better than the first season of True Detective. A couple seasons of Breaking Bad are also easily better than TD S1.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:44 am 

I never watched the wire.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:52 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Really? Have you watched The Wire? In my opinion, seasons 1, 3, and 4 are easily better than the first season of True Detective. A couple seasons of Breaking Bad are also easily better than TD S1.

And then there's The Leftovers, the greatest television series that ever was and that probably ever will be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:00 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

And then there's The Leftovers, the greatest television series that ever was and that probably ever will be.

I think I watched parts of a couple episodes, both of which caused me to fall asleep. I'll have to give it another try.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think I watched parts of a couple episodes, both of which caused me to fall asleep. I'll have to give it another try.

I get that. It started slow and dark and almost lost me at the beginning too. But give it another try and stick with it. I don't think you'll regret it. Once you make it to Episode 6, "Guest", you'll be all in. The second season is intense and it just gets weirder from there before ending in a very graceful manner. I can't say enough about the show.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:50 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I had a similar experience with the first few episodes of The Wire.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Warren Newson wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I had a similar experience with the first few episodes of The Wire.

Yeah, me too. There are a lot of characters to keep track of. But once it got going, it really got going. It was kind of strange though. The second season on the docks was almost like a new show. A lot of people still aren't crazy about that season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Season 2 of the wire is phenomenal. I think season 4 is probably the best, but the first four seasons are probably the best four seasons of TV ever imo.

The Leftovers is incredible too, might be time for a rewatch soon.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I get that. It started slow and dark and almost lost me at the beginning too. But give it another try and stick with it. I don't think you'll regret it. Once you make it to Episode 6, "Guest", you'll be all in. The second season is intense and it just gets weirder from there before ending in a very graceful manner. I can't say enough about the show.

Based on this I started it yesterday. Not far in to it I realized I must have started it sometime before, maybe several years ago. I have no idea why I gave up on it then but I'm gonna try to stick with it now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Doing a Wire rewatch right now. Still think The Sopranos edges it out for GOAT Prestige TV drama.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
SpiralStairs wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Doing a Wire rewatch right now. Still think The Sopranos edges it out for GOAT Prestige TV drama.

Ever seen Banshee?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:39 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Ever seen Banshee?

Couldn’t get past all the keening

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:46 am 

A middling Trib review.

Quote:
REVIEW ‘TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY’ ★★
A long day’s journey into ... just another cop show

By Nina Metz Chicago Tribune
A cop show is a cop show is a cop show — even when it’s packaged as a prestige endeavor with an Oscar-winning star and artful care given to the show’s look and feel. HBO’s anthology series “True Detective” has been an exercise in distracting audiences from this fact.

It was most effective in its first season, thanks to the Southern Gothic visuals captured by director Cary Joji Fukunaga and Matthew McConaughey’s performance as a disillusioned cop playing mind games with a couple of interrogators. The dialogue from creator Nic Pizzolatto was rich (if nonsensical) and McConaughey made a meal of it. There’s real entertainment value in that. But in the end, it was a lot of hot air and little actual substance. If you’re looking for a television show that has something to say, well, best to look elsewhere.

Even so, the first season inspired — still inspires — hyperbole. Whatever its transcendent qualities, successive seasons have struggled to recapture that, which is the case with Season 4.

This time out, the series has an amended title — “True Detective: Night Country” — and a new writer, showrunner and director in Issa López. The setting is a small Alaskan town near the Arctic Circle. It’s late December and, for a few weeks each winter, the sun never rises; daily life takes place amid the inky darkness of night. That’s an intriguing starting point.

When a team of research scientists goes missing from their impressively comfortable outpost, they’re eventually located out on the ice, naked and dead, their faces frozen in a rictus of fear. What the hell happened?

Jodie Foster plays the scowling police chief who’s on the case. Eventually she teams up with a former colleague, played by the boxer-turned-actor Kali Reis, who matches Foster scowl for scowl. The pair have professional history and things didn’t end well. But Reis’ cop is convinced the deaths of researchers are connected to the cold-case murder of an Indigenous woman they never solved.

There’s the suggestion of something creepy and otherworldly at the root of these crimes, but ultimately our capacity for inflicting harm on one another has depressingly human origins.

There’s a compelling story buried in here, about the town’s indigenous Iñupiaq women, and how and why they operate on the margins. “True Detective” mostly keeps them on the edges of the story, as well. The finale suggests a more interesting story that could have been front and center.

But then, “True Detective” isn’t designed to go against the grain. Over its four seasons, we watch as problems are caused (or ignored) by individual cops. But existing structures go unchallenged — the proverbial bad guy is always external, rather than baked into the system itself. Centering the season primarily on women doesn’t change that.

Foster and Reis play cops who are blunt and suffer no fools, which is interesting, to a point. But these traits become stand-ins for character development. They are outrunning — suppressing, really — haunted memories, and their relationships with men are often transactional, or apathetic. Judging by the unrelenting dysfunction of the men in their orbit, this isn’t the wrong choice.

You need a tough hide to survive in this place. No one talks about seasonal depression or struggles with the lack of sunlight. It’s just a fact of life. Even humor is in short supply. The discordant sounds of the Beach Boys blaring merrily on a truck stereo during the sunless season will have to suffice.

Interviews leading up to the show’s premiere have emphasized a link between Foster’s police chief and her role as Clarice Starling in “The Silence of the Lambs” because … both are in law enforcement? The comparison is a stretch. The 1991 movie allowed Foster to show us what thinking through a problem could look like. In “True Detective,” her character is an anti-pensive type with plenty of emotional baggage, but little opportunity to let that play out across her face.

The passage of time is hard to track, as one all-night day blends into the next, but even the mood is tough to parse. The mere fact of darkness — literal and metaphorical — isn’t enough and the season can’t find its footing, tonally or narratively. Even a winding, complicated story needs to be told with some clarity to get its hooks in you, and I’m reminded once again that shows from the UK have the U.S. beat when it comes to troubled cops standing in the gloomy chill and staring off into the distance.

“True Detective’s” first season was dense with grandiose themes — “What does it all mean?” being one of them — but it was a murder mystery at its core, no matter how much it tried to subvert that template. The show’s fourth season reveals another truism: A story cannot exist on vibes alone.

Where to watch: 8 p.m. on HBO (streaming on Max)

Nina Metz is a Tribune critic.nmetz@chicagotribune.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:55 pm 

Nina Metz is such a loser she should be named Nina Cubs

mc conaghy's dialogue wasn't nonsense to anyone who's taken even a low level philosophy course. She wanted Season 4 to be GIRL POWER and seems disappointed it was a cop story

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:14 am 

I’m still going to check out the first couple episodes for myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:57 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Nina Metz is such a loser she should be named Nina Cubs

mc conaghy's dialogue wasn't nonsense to anyone who's taken even a low level philosophy course. She wanted Season 4 to be GIRL POWER and seems disappointed it was a cop story

I don't particularly care for her as a TV reviewer. She inserts too much of her own personal agenda (the show would have been better if it tackled subject X instead of subject Y) into her reviews. To some extent, you have to review these shows on their own terms.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:06 am 

First episode was a little slow out of the gates. Really gave me a feel of wanting to be sort of like The Thing. Big reveal at the end of the episode opens the door for almost any possibility. Can't say I really like any of the characters initially but that isn't the end of the world. I'll stick around for one more episode, but it will need to be pretty good for me to continue on.